+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Junior Member Registered Member

Question Substitute exam still available for 70-412?

Hi Everyone

First post, just wondering if there is still the option to substitute 70-412 with the Hyper-V or O365 exams when completing Windows Server 2012 R2 MCSA.

Since the Certifications were refreshed in Nov 2016 can't see these options listed on the Microsoft page anymore.

Thanks everyone in advance.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA: Server 2012/2016, MCSE: CP&I
    From the looks of things you may have to take the 412.

If you look on the 412 exam page it mentions the MCSA
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lear...am-70-412.aspx

If you look at the 409 exam page it only mentions MCP
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lear...am-74-409.aspx

I'm not finding any references to the 409 for the MCSA anymore. Unless someone finds something else, I'd say the 412 is the only way to get an MCSA 2012. There are other avenues for the MCSA now though focusing on different content areas.
    2017 Goals: MCSA : Server 2016; MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure BOTH COMPLETED!
    2018 Goals: Security+
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member Registered Member
    Thanks for the reply.

Thought this might be the case. I've heard 70-412 is a real headache of a cert but can't hurt to battle through it can only be beneficial for future development.

Thanks again.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCSA: WS 2012, WS 2016, Win10, O365; MCSE: Messaging, Productivity 2016, Cloud Platform and Infrastructure 2017
    Take one of these exams instead of 70-412 to count for MCSA WS 2012: 70-462, 70-346, 74-409.
    You can see it under a certification planner option on your MCP page.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    VCA5-DCV, CEH, ECSA, CHFI, ITILv3, CND
    I'm also thinking about it. Has anyone beaten the 70-412 beast?
    Working on:
    1) MCSA 2012 - 410
    2) Cisco Cyber Ops 210-250 (SECFND)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA: Server 2012/2016, MCSE: CP&I
    Quote Originally Posted by chopsticks View Post
    I'm also thinking about it. Has anyone beaten the 70-412 beast?
    I have. It's passable it just covers some difficult areas that require a lot of focus.
    2017 Goals: MCSA : Server 2016; MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure BOTH COMPLETED!
    2018 Goals: Security+
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member

Certifications
    74-409, 74-325, 70-169, 70-410
    Was still excepted in Jan - 74-409 done, MCSA DONEEEEEEE!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Woohoo! It's over 1000!

Certifications
    RHCSA, Linux+, ACSA, ACTC, ACSP, MCSA:7, MCTS, ITIL F, Prince2 Pract, AgilePM Practioner, VCP-DCV, Storage+, CCNA R+S, CCNA Sec, Security+, CEH, CASP
    I think it's more problem with the new website layouts after the big revision. They've dropped a lot of information about these alternative routes.

I think if you log into MS and check the certification planner, you will get a better idea of what pathways are available.

Doing the hard work for you, the options are 410+411 and one of 462, 412, 409, 346.
    2017 Goals - MCSA 2008, CISSP, CCNP:R+S, Agile PM
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S & Security, MCSA: Server 2012 & Office 365
    I done the 70-346 myself, was a fairly straight forward exam and it gave me a good overview of half the Office 365 suite (the 347 gives a good overview for the other half). I have recently taken the 412 exam after doing a course and having a free voucher for the exam... it's a beast of an exam. I believe you can still take the alternative exams instead of 412.
    2017 Goals: 70-347[X], CCNA R&S [X], CCNA Security [X]
    2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[], CCNP Switch 300-115[], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[], VCP-DCV[]
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CCNA

Default Any success with the 409?

Hey,

I have passed the 411 this morning and am looking into the 409.

The certification planner on my benefits and exams page shows its fine.
    The new certification pages show that the 412 must be completed.

I called up the MS Regional Exam Center for Europe and have been told that the cert tracker is wrong and the website is up to date and the 412 must be completed.

Just wanted to check if anyone has had success with the 409 working as a substitute for the 412 for the MCSA certification recently?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Network +, MTA: 98-366, 367,MCP, MCTS Win 7, VCP-DCV, MCSA SERVER 2012, MCTS Hyper-V
    yes the 74-409 is still an option for the Mcsa. just finished my MCSA last week.
    Certs Gained 2017: 70-410, 70-411,74-409, MCSA Server 2012r2
    Upcoming: Security +, ITIL FOUNDATIONS, 70-345 Exchange Server 2016, Ccent

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” - 1 Thessalonians 5:11
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CCNA
    Excellent, thanks Greg!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Member

Certifications
    MTA: Server Fundamentals; MTA: Networking Fundamentals, Microsoft Certified Professional, Microsoft Speciaist
    I am sitting my 70-411 exam on July 6. I read this and got confused. I passed both 70-410 and 74-409 last year. I'm now wondering if I'll still qualify for the MCSA after passing 70-411.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member Registered Member
    Can you guys access the certification planner on Microsoft Learning web site?

I did the 74-409 exam and was going to do the 70-410 and the 70-411 to get the MCSA, but, it's been a few days I can't access the certification planner to see if I can use the 74-409 for the MCSA.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Member

Certifications
    MTA: Server Fundamentals; MTA: Networking Fundamentals, Microsoft Certified Professional, Microsoft Speciaist
    Mine says

Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate: Windows Server 2012

2 out of 3 Completed
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member
    No, the 74-409 (and all other previously available electives) no longer count towards the 2012 MCSA.

I received the following from Microsoft when I queried why it was not showing on my transcript as credit towards the MCSA (since I just passed 74-409):

"Microsoft has updated the process about earning the [MCSA] certification. The update was completed this June 2017 and the exam 74-409 was removed as a substitute exam and all other substitute exams listed."

This needed to be made way more visible.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCSA: WS 2012, WS 2016, Win10, O365; MCSE: Messaging, Productivity 2016, Cloud Platform and Infrastructure 2017
    That's a huge damn change. So strange they didn't publicly announce that anywhere. It's going to affect so many training facilities that offer substitute exam training.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by crumbs11 View Post
    No, the 74-409 (and all other previously available electives) no longer count towards the 2012 MCSA.

I received the following from Microsoft when I queried why it was not showing on my transcript as credit towards the MCSA (since I just passed 74-409):

"Microsoft has updated the process about earning the [MCSA] certification. The update was completed this June 2017 and the exam 74-409 was removed as a substitute exam and all other substitute exams listed."

This needed to be made way more visible.
    The certification planner is a mess right now. It says 2/3 for mine (see screenshot). But when I click the link, it says 2 requirements are needed.

Did they mention who will be affected by this change? Because I'm thinking this may only affect those who will just start with this certification track. How about those who are currently in the middle or almost done with it?

Can I get the contact info you used to contact Microsoft? I want to clarify my situtation as well.

You are right this needs to be more visible as there are a lot of people that are in the middle of the MCSA Server 2012 certification track.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member
    @kengjames

It was very hard to squeeze anything out of them - they do not make this easy. They directed me to fill out this form: https://support.microsoft.com/getsup...o&locale=en-us

I received a reply about two days after submitting it. Here is the full reply:

"Thank you for contacting Microsoft about earning the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certification.

Checking on the certification path showing on the MCP Learning site, it only shows the required exams 70-410, 411 and 412 to earn the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certification.

Microsoft has updated the process about earning the said certification. The update was completed this June 2017 and the exam 74-409 was removed as a substitute exam and all other substitute exams listed.

The paths that are posted on the Learning site are correct. If you have further questions, please refer to the specific certification page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lear...ification.aspx

In addition, I have checked your Certification planner, and it shows that it was updated having the exam 74-409 removed as a substitute exam to earn the said certification.

If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know. David, you may receive a survey in 5-7 days about this interaction and I would appreciate your feedback..

Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Babylyn
    Customer Service Representative
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Office Hours: 5:30am to 5:30pm PT, Monday - Friday"
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCENT, ITIL Foundation, MCSA Office 365, MCSA Windows 8, MCSA Windows 10
    Quote Originally Posted by kengjames View Post
    The certification planner is a mess right now. It says 2/3 for mine (see screenshot). But when I click the link, it says 2 requirements are needed.

Did they mention who will be affected by this change? Because I'm thinking this may only affect those who will just start with this certification track. How about those who are currently in the middle or almost done with it?

Can I get the contact info you used to contact Microsoft? I want to clarify my situtation as well.

You are right this needs to be more visible as there are a lot of people that are in the middle of the MCSA Server 2012 certification track.

Thanks!
    I have exact same thing in cert planner. Send email to MS yesterday to ask them for what is going on. No answer so far...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Junior Member Registered Member
    I was highly upset with the change. I called Microsoft because I think they should honor the electives until its publically released that they will no longer except the electives. Microsoft learning is the entity you want to reach out to. They kind of performed a magic trick on test takers. They released a huge posting through born to learn and other places about the electives but slowly change their site for it to reflect the changes that exams like the 74-409 only counts toward the MCP but the cert is found under the MS. If you don't call or come to sites like this you will never know. The reason it is on some cert planners and not others either you have completed the cert for the MCSA already or the change is coming. They will recommend test takers to follow the website to get the MCSA which removes any electives and force the 412 exam. Notification of such changes should be expected. I don't think fair that some are under the impression that they are completing their MCSA but are not.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Junior Member

Certifications
    74-409, 74-325, 70-169, 70-410
    Quote Originally Posted by kengjames View Post

Thanks!

Did you get any update on this? I'm in the same situation, passed 70-409 in 2015, 70-410 last year and have my 70-411 booked for this year.
    Last edited by craig88; 06-29-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Junior Member
    Got this back from Microsoft today after complaining about the first response I received:

"We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused you.

I understand that you have exerted time, effort and money to take exam 74-409 and earn the MCSA: Windows 2012 certification.

Your feedback has been forwarded to the Business team for review. Usually, the respond within 3 - 5 business days. Once I have received an update from the team, I will immediately let you know.

If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Jarusel
    Customer Service Representative
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Office Hours: 5:30am to 5:30pm PT, Monday - Friday"
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Junior Member

Certifications
    VCA6-DCV, MS, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure
    It's really unfair situation with electives, thanks some lazy managers in Microsoft. After I pass 410 in beginning May I book 411 on the and of June. But when I got access to mcp site and under cert path planner find electives , I realise, that I could easily use 409 (I really work exactly with hyper-v virtualisation on daily basis ) instead of 412. I did it and pass 409 on the end of May. Even when I check planner on the middle of the June, it was still show me 2 of 3. Now i got 411, and guess what? Yee... See you next time with 412. I complain, but didn't receive any respond from them yet. It is not about 412 itself, I'm ok to go, but I loose money and time for 74-409 and they didn't give me even a badge.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Junior Member

Certifications
    VCA6-DCV, MS, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure
    So, to be clear, since Feb 2017 I done with 74-409, 70-410, 70-411 and 70-533. All what I have now is MCP and 2 MS. Nice. $700 for MCP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks