+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Derp?

Certifications
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA R&S, MCP, MCSA: Win7 / 2012R2, MCITP: EDST, MCTS: 70-640, A.A.S. Network Administration and Support

Default Derp?

Doing an AD lab. I set up a trust between two domains yesterday. Worked fine. I even shared some folders from one domain to another.

I removed the trust and attempted to create a new trust. Now I can't validate the trust, nor can I browse the "remote" DC when granting permissions on a shared resource

I did have some old IP entries in DNS, but I cleared those out and flushed all cache. Now DNS seems okay. 3 DC's on one side and 1 DC on the other. All DC's are online. nslookup shows correct IP addresses all around.

Contoso.com - (I did at one time have these subnetted, but they're all /24 now and on the same VLAN.)
    ------------
    hq.contoso.com - 192.168.100.105
    west.contoso.com - 192.168.100.106
    eng.contoso.com - 192.168.100.193

Blackstone.net
    --------------
    hq.blackstone.net - 192.168.100.200

Running nslookup on Blackstone.net - $> "nslookup contoso.com"
    Gives correct IP addresses but all 3 are "non-authoritative" answers.

When I try to validate the trust, the error I receive on both ends says:

"The secure channel (SC) reset on Active Directory Domain Controller ... failed with error: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request."

In writing this I found the solution. HQ cannot be used for the machine name for both domain controllers. Renamed HQ.BLACKSTONE.NET to SERV01.BLACKSTONE.NET and all is well. I did have to reset the trust password between Blackstone.net over to WEST.CONTOSO.COM since WEST is also a DC in the same site as CONTOSO. (Eng is in a different site, I guess that's why BLACKSTONE.NET didn't need to validate a trust relationship with ENG.

ANYWAYS tl'dr: nevermind, I fixed it. Hope this helps another person somewhere along the way!

BACK TO THE LAB!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MCP, MCDST, CCNSP, ITIL Foundation, working towards CCENT/CCNA
    Hey man- that could be very helpful to others. Which MS 2008 exam you going for out of interest, the AD one?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA R&S, MCP, MCSA: Win7 / 2012R2, MCITP: EDST, MCTS: 70-640, A.A.S. Network Administration and Support
    Yeah its the 70-640.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks