+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Member
    Hello Everyone,

I would like to advance my career and want to setup a home lab to practice, probably pursuing MCITP. I search online and found this post and decided to join. I don't have much experience with Virtual machines but willing to learn. Should I use VMware Server, ESXi or Hyper-V? I don't mine investing some cash to advance my career. I don't spend much time at home since I visit father at nursing home. I would either setup on my laptop or use logmein to access PC.

My machines:
    PC =quad-core 8GB 120GB SSD and HD.
    Asus laptop Intel i5 8GB HD.

Also, if you would mine sharing exactly how to setup my test lab. Example: 30GB for each VM , host and guest etc.

thank you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA R&S
    I use Oracle Virtualbox (free) to host my VMs. I also recommend getting pfSense to setup your own isolated network for test environment.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member
    I bought the MS Press book for 70-62 and use Oracle VirtualBox which is free. Have had no problems using the software. The MS Press book gives you a step by step guide on setting up your network.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    Net+, MCTS AD 2008
    I've never tried VirtualBox, but heard it's pretty good. I'm using Hyper-V on Win8 right now. You can take snapshots with it, and it's built in to Win8. Unlike MS VirtualPC, Hyper-V allows you to take as many snapshots as your hdd can hold.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    GSEC, MCSE NT, MCSE 2k, MCITP: EDA, A+
    I bounce between studying at work and home, and really, I don't have much space at home to leave a desktop running (family of four in a small house). So, I've got a Thinkpad T61 that I carry with me (separate from my daily use laptop). It has a T7300 CPU, 4GB of RAM and two 500 GB hard drives (I had been running a 500 GB primary and a 160GB in the media bay, but ran out of space...). I use Hyper-V on 2008 R2 for virtualization.

My number one complaint about this arrangement is that widescreen low-res laptops are terrible if you start stacking up toolbars. 768 vertical pixels just aren't enough. I hate having to scroll up and down to get to the start menu of a VM or whatever. Once you enable RDP on your guest OS you can RDP from the host which makes it better,

Performance-wise, I can get a few VMs going at once, but much more than four lightly used ones and I have issues. It's enough for now, though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member
    I know this thread is old, but i am also interested in getting into vmware, so i need to setup a virtual lab for practice...what laptop brand can you guys recommend along with specs so that the lab can run smoothly...i'm hoping to spend no more than $700 on a laptop with i7(haswell?), 8g ram, 500hd(or preferably SSD)..and no issues with drivers for nics, etc..when setting up lab, etc...basically a 'compatible' laptop that i can take to the office or anywhere to do my studys since i would like to take the exam though i know you still have to signup for a class. Thanks.
    Last edited by MikeLee; 08-30-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    GCFE, GCED, GCIH, CISSP, CCSP, and others that should never be mentioned
    Welcome aboard. CPU is not a biggie. You will want to focus on sticking a lot of RAM on that laptop, 16GB is possible, and an SSD. Those will be your major contention points.

Check out this blog post.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member
    thanks...i'll check it out.
    Last edited by JDMurray; 08-30-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks