Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    @Hyper-Me: Do you get media with CBT Nuggets, or is all online videos?
    Not sure. I borrowed those from a friend since I had purchased Trainsignal. Didnt wanna buy dos sets.

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    Quote Originally Posted by staggerlee View Post
    Currently studying for the 70-643 and thought i would try train signal for it.. since it was a lot of stuff ive never done before (clustering, iis, terminal server)... thought it was great for a quick this is what you can do.. but for the exam.. yee gods... im now having to use it as quick intro to these roles and go to cbt nuggets for the real exam depth thats needed.

Are all the train signal vids so bad? i really like the idea of the scenario based learning, but if its all like that all they can possibly used for is intro to subject matter..

I was actually going to post about it since i was so shocked at the TS vids.. seems im not alone..

anyone have insight to there 70-647? only other exam i need is 70-680 i dont think either do vids for that so ive been putting it off till they did :/

There are some very good trainsignal videos out there. Don't let the 643 video ruin you on them. I'm not sure why that one came out so bad. Its like the guy came to work with a bad hangover or something.

4. Senior Member
    OK, the original TS vids for 70-643 were absolutely terrible. The same instructor did the 70-640 vids and the hyper-v vids for TS and the AD vids needed to be updated and there are errors in the hyper-v videos that someone posted on the TS forums on basic hyper-v concepts...

I sent TS a pretty angry email with the errors in the 70-643 video series late last yr and they have re-released the videos with a different instructor and called it an update to cover for the fact that the original was bad. If you bought the original, TS will send you the new one for free.
    Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Training, MCITP 70-643 Exam | Train Signal

Enough about that. With the cbtnuggets, you can either buy a streaming subscription, or you can buy a video exam pack and download it or have them mail out the media to you.

For 70-643 i would highly recommend testout and for 70-647 as well.

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Quote Originally Posted by alokin123 View Post
    OK, the original TS vids for 70-643 were absolutely terrible. The same instructor did the 70-640 vids and the hyper-v vids for TS and the AD vids needed to be updated and there are errors in the hyper-v videos that someone posted on the TS forums on basic hyper-v concepts...

I sent TS a pretty angry email with the errors in the 70-643 video series late last yr and they have re-released the videos with a different instructor and called it an update to cover for the fact that the original was bad. If you bought the original, TS will send you the new one for free.
    Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Training, MCITP 70-643 Exam | Train Signal

You had me at re-released the videos with a different instructor. I think I'm going with Trainsignal. Testout was, at best, ok for the 83-640 which I used. Not very much video and a whole lot of those blasted fact sheets. I already have a book to read, why pay to get to print out another book? Also I didn't think the test questions with testout were very good.
    I think since trainsignal redid the 70-643 AND I get the free R2 video AND Transcender (which is just the beefier version of selftest) AND I've heard good things about the 70-647 vids I'll go with Trainsignal.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    You had me at re-released the videos with a different instructor. I think I'm going with Trainsignal. Testout was, at best, ok for the 83-640 which I used. Not very much video and a whole lot of those blasted fact sheets. I already have a book to read, why pay to get to print out another book? Also I didn't think the test questions with testout were very good.
    I think since trainsignal redid the 70-643 AND I get the free R2 video AND Transcender (which is just the beefier version of selftest) AND I've heard good things about the 70-647 vids I'll go with Trainsignal.
    I agree that testout's 83-640 videos were not great, but their fact sheets are generally well written and cut out a lot of the guff you find in text books. I thought their videos and notes for 70-643 were top notch and i wouldnt have passed if i hadnt used them.

Certifications
    Sec+, 70-432, 70-640, 70-642, 70-643
    Who did the new Vids, i cant remember the name of the guy who did the video i have (there at home to check), the scenario was based on some hill billy company. This the new or old.. I really hope the old..

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    Coach Culbertson is the original guy for 640, 643 and 647 videos. Some other dude did the 642 and although hes pretty bland, it was informative.

Certifications
    Testouts fact sheets are like notes and I don't remember notes as well unless I either write or type them. They were great for the Net+ and Sec+ but for the higher MS certs I need to get the info in my brain so that I can use it. Learning by doing puts the information in several different areas of your brain which makes more avenues of access. This goes for labbing as well as taking notes and making your own flashcards. I'm not going through all the studying, labbing, and notetaking just to pass a test. I could probably pass the test just using the testout fact sheets but I would not actually "know" anything well enough to use it later.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by staggerlee View Post
    Who did the new Vids, i cant remember the name of the guy who did the video i have (there at home to check), the scenario was based on some hill billy company. This the new or old.. I really hope the old..
    The new guy is Ed Liberman
    Here's one of his videos Windows Server HQ by Train Signal.com How to Setup & Utilize Remote Administration on Server 2008 Server Core none of the sample videos actually show him though. He's just explaining what he's doing while doing stuff on server core.

11. Member
    I've been using the Trainsignal MCITP videos and I really like them. They might not go quite deep enough on some topics but that's why they include Transcender with them. I really like them more as a real world reference tool. I've only used the 70-640 and 70-642 videos but IMO, the videos alone are not enough to pass the test. You have to thoroughly use the Transcender exam prep as well.

I did struggle with the 70-642 (but passed) and I actually took that exam first after learning of all the 83-640 problems. I was also able to take and pass the 70-640 just two days ago and did much better on that one. Trainsignal also sent out a revised 70-643 video and it looks like it includes much more content then their original.

I have not tried CBT Nuggets so I can't speak for those but will check them out. I've already spent my money on TS and I got a some nice discounts so I feel pretty good about them. Their support has also been pretty good and I can get someone on the phone as soon as I call in which is always nice.

As far as video training goes, are TS and CBT Nuggets the best available?
    Last edited by Zillatech; 06-13-2010 at 01:43 AM.

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillatech View Post
    As far as video training goes, are TS and CBT Nuggets the best available?
    Yeah, most people on TE would say those are the best. Testout/Labsim is pretty good for some things like for the Net+ and Security+.
    I'm going to get the Trainsignal videos for 70-643 and 70-647. I'm not planning to just use those but study from the MS Press Training Kit book as well and do plenty of labbing on my VMs.

You mentioned discounts..how did you get discounts?

13. Member
    I called them up (ordered by phone) and asked them what kind of discounts they could do. I think 10% is an automatic if you ask but I bought my MCITP EA kit for $997.00 last November when they were running a promo. It also came with the "R2" training for free and I know they will be releasing Windows 7 training next month and that will come automatically if you by the EA Kit. as well. They told me they are giving everyone that bought the EA Kit this year a free upgrade to the Windows 7 training, even if they got Vista as part of the pack.

I think you just have to haggle with them a little and they knock some off the price. I would ask them why their training is better than CBT Nuggets and work that angle if it were me

Certifications
    I ordered the 643 and 647 Trainsignals today and got a 15% discount for ordering more than one. Thanks to one of our regulars here, trainsignaleric (I think). The regular customer service people I'd spoken to earlier said there was no discount for students or for ordering anything but the whole MCITP:EA pack. I'll still get the extra R2 training but wont get the Windows 7 when it comes out.
    I'll be glad to have the audio I can burn to CD and listen to in the car on some of my long trips.

15. Junior Member
    +1 for CBT.

Not a huge fan of instructors, but they get the job done. Coverage is good.

Hint. - Use the fast playback feature to avoid falling asleep.

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlue99 View Post
    +1 for CBT.

Depends on the instructor. Some are better than others. The last couple I have watched by James Conrad are good. He moves quickly, and does all of the stupid stuff so that he doesn't waste your time.

17. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlue99 View Post
    +1 for CBT.

i use this product and watch the videos at over 3 times the normal speed: Change Playback Speed - Variable Speed - Time Scale Modification of Audio - Enounce, Incorporated - Enounce

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP: SA MCITP: EA
    I would have to disagree I have used trainsignal, cbt nuggets and testout videos for my MCITP EA and I think trainsignal is the worst.They cover the material to extent but I feel they don't give enough info.The best I think is cbt nuggets with testout not very far behind.I'm basing this on James Conrads teaching not the other guys from CBT.This is my opinion of course.If I had to choose one I would pick cbt.

19. Senior Member
    As good as I'm sure Trainsignal may be. My bias has always been with CBT. I have always thought the video's content/instructors to be excellent.

Certifications
    Sec+, 70-432, 70-640, 70-642, 70-643
    Made a post in the sql section but properly better to ask here.. Anyone tried the SQL vids for either CBT or TS?

From the few i have seen from TS they always lack a lot of info compared to CBT. wondered if that crossed over to the SQL courses as well. But it has been said that the CBT for SQL arent to hot.. Any views?

Certifications
    So far I'm not really pleased with the content of the Train Signal for the 70-643. A lot of content seems to be getting left out (Important content, I might add) and the instructor, Ed Liberman, has a tendency to repeat a lot of really unimportant things which just makes the video drag.

Do most people find these videos better watching before doing the reading or after? I've tried both ways and watching them first leaves me with a lot of unexplained questions and watching them after has me bored and anxious while watching.

22. Member
    You might be right about Trainsignal leaving out some things & if you are watching the "Ed Liberman" Video than you have the revised TS Video. I don't think "Ed" being the instructor is the problem, I think TS does not map their course close enough to the MS Objectives for the exam (although I have not watched the 70-643 Video yet).

I am using the "TS" Server Admin video now before I move on to the CBT Nuggets 70-646 Video. I went ahead and purchased the 70-646 from CBT because I wanted to see the difference so after I complete both of them, I'll post back my findings. CBT Nuggets definitely seems to map the exam better and the only thing I might be able to knock on them so far is that the Audio/Video presentation might not be quite as polished as Trainsignal but that is really splitting hairs.

One thing you might consider that I just discovered is that you can "Stream" the CBT Nugget Videos from the website for 30 Days for $199.00 (their entire Catalog)

You can access anything you want as much as you want for 30 Days so if you work hard you can study for (2) Exams for about $100.00 each

Make sure you use the Transcender Questions and Flash Cards to fill in where the Trainsignal video may have fallen short
    Last edited by Zillatech; 07-14-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Certifications
    I returned the 70-643 TrainSignal Video. They were actually pretty good about it. I had already registered my Transcender vouchers so I got to keep the Transcender test. I had gotten a discount for buying 2 videos (643 and 647) and they refunded half the purchase price. That was really cool. It would have been better if I had felt that the video was going to do me some good cause I would have kept it. It's not like I'm getting the money back, it was paid for by the VA (Chap 31) as a school related expense so the money just goes back to my VA coordinators account.
    I watched a little of the 647 video and it looks good so far.

24. DoWork
    A major Illinois hospital system near you

Certifications
    vExpert, VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCP-NV, BSTM
    Just to confirm, I'm a DeVry University student and I just talked with the people at TestOut and it's $89 for any exam with student verification. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me. I've been looking for MCITP stuff and I might just buy this stuff from these guys. At least take a chance on the 70-640 and see if they're going to be worth it.

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by QHalo View Post
    Just to confirm, I'm a DeVry University student and I just talked with the people at TestOut and it's $89 for any exam with student verification. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me. I've been looking for MCITP stuff and I might just buy this stuff from these guys. At least take a chance on the 70-640 and see if they're going to be worth it.
    I used the 83-640 Testout and it was ok at best.

I've watched a little of the 70-647 Train Signal video so far. The Hyper-v and the Terminal services sections and they are very good. Coach Culbertson is a very good instructor. I'm still studying for the 70-643 but decided to have a "lookahead" at the 647 videos related to what I am studying right now.

26. DoWork
    A major Illinois hospital system near you

Certifications
    vExpert, VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCP-NV, BSTM
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    I used the 83-640 Testout and it was ok at best.

I've watched a little of the 70-647 Train Signal video so far. The Hyper-v and the Terminal services sections and they are very good. Coach Culbertson is a very good instructor. I'm still studying for the 70-643 but decided to have a "lookahead" at the 647 videos related to what I am studying right now.
    Other than reading the book and watching the video are there any other materials you think that would supplement to help overall or would those two pretty much set me up for a solid shot at a pass? Obviously you don't know my study habits so just shoot from the hip.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks