Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    One thing I will recommend for the 70-640 is to read the DNS chapter from the 70-642 textbook as it'll help. Use Claymoores links at 70-640 Resources for extra study.
    Good luck!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

2. SS -->
  3. DoWork
    A major Illinois hospital system near you

Certifications
    vExpert, VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCP-NV, BSTM
    Yup going through Claymores stuff as well. Thanks for the advice.

4. Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA: Security, MCTS: AD, Security+, Network+, A+
    I only thought I knew DNS well until I went over the material in the 642. Now I feel very comfortable with DNS as as whole. I think studying topics as they are covered in other MS exams is a great idea.

Back to the OP question, I've only had experience with CBT Nuggets. Our district bought a single streaming subscricption for $1,500. So far our department has passed 5 exams using the material. I've only used Jeremy Ciarra for Cisco and James Conrad for the MCITP. I frankly found James' presentation style to be a total turnoff at first. Fortunately, I've finally learned to tolerate and even appreciate some of his quirks. Ciarra will occasionally use personal examples in an analogy, but they are rare and they work. How many people remember James' analogy about users/groups in which he explains how he's not a "people person"? LOL

Certifications
    I'm currently studying for the 70-643 but I'm finding that doing some forward reading in my books for the 70-647 is helping. After I complete an area in the 643 book I'll check out that area of 1 or more of my 647 texts. I've also already watched a couple of the Train Signal 70-647 videos like this as well.
    I'm finding that I like the instructor for the 647 videos a lot better. Less irritating tendencies. Coach Culbertson is definitely an instructor I personally like more than Ed Liberman. I've heard others who liked Ed's teaching style in some of his earlier videos but I lack patience while watching a video and don't like fast forwarding as I may miss something.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    One thing I will recommend for the 70-640 is to read the DNS chapter from the 70-642 textbook as it'll help. Use Claymoores links at 70-640 Resources for extra study.
    Good luck!
    Hi,

I'm about to start studying for the 3 MCITP SA exams. After reading your comment above, would it be OK to study and take the 70-642 exam first? And then, 70-640 and 70-646, respectively? Has anyone studied and taken the exams in this order?

Certifications
    Several people have recently. Which is more easier: 70-640 or 70-642 ? and there were a few others but can't find the threads.

8. LCA

Certifications
    MCITP:EA, MCTS (SQL Server 70-432) MCP, Network+, Dip. Computer Systems Network Engineering
    Quote Originally Posted by NvrGvUp View Post
    Hi,

I'm about to start studying for the 3 MCITP SA exams. After reading your comment above, would it be OK to study and take the 70-642 exam first? And then, 70-640 and 70-646, respectively? Has anyone studied and taken the exams in this order?
    I'm going to do 642 first. Many others have done it this way also. I'm very lucky in that I will starting a 9 month full time network infrastructure course (university level) next week so I'll get to use servers day in and day out.

Currently studying both 640 and 642 as to me it seems the topics are in many ways tied together.

Thanks for the info, guys!

I have another question... Since I don't have any prior server and network experience at all, don't I need to know how to configure Active Directory first for me to study configuring Network Infrastructure? Or is it irrelevant?

10. LCA

Certifications
    MCITP:EA, MCTS (SQL Server 70-432) MCP, Network+, Dip. Computer Systems Network Engineering
    Thanks for the info, guys!

I have another question... Since I don't have any prior server and network experience at all, don't I need to know how to configure Active Directory first for me to study configuring Network Infrastructure? Or is it irrelevant?
    A good working knowledge of AD is important (IMHO).

Certifications
    BS:Electrical Engineering,DRE, AMBCI, MCITP-EA,SA, MCP, CCNA
    Hi,

I've taken 642 first i have 640 next week and I think I made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by za3bour View Post
    I've taken 642 first i have 640 next week and I think I made the right choice.
    But, I suppose you already have server and networking experience before you took the 70-642 exam(?) (As I mentioned, I don't have any prior experience at all.)

Certifications
    BS:Electrical Engineering,DRE, AMBCI, MCITP-EA,SA, MCP, CCNA
    But, I suppose you already have server and networking experience before you took the 70-642 exam(?) (As I mentioned, I don't have any prior experience at all.)
    You should, at MCITP page and in books they mention that you should at least have one year experience with AD,networking ..etc.

My advice to you is to start studying and use Virtualization in order to have your own mini netwrok that has servers and workstations and try to learn from this point.

70-642 is hard to study if you don't have any experience so try to find other books that starts with the very basics.

14. Member
    Just wanted to follow up on this thread after reviewing the CBT Nuggets Course. I like both TS and Nuggets but if I had to spend the $$$ again I would definitely Choose CBT Nuggets. They go into a little more detail and seem to map the exams a little closer so I'd give the Edge to them.

The only thing I wish they would have done is have a more polished presentation, like better formatted Note pages instead of the "Hand Written" White board discussions but that is getting pretty nitpicky. The TS video and audio is a tiny bit better as well but nothing to really make any difference in you getting the knowledge.

CBT Nuggets is now my first choice of Video Training with TS a very close second. I think the Nuggets MCITP Course with James Conrad instructing is definitely worth the money! I would also recommend just buying the videos instead of the streaming if you are they type of person who likes to "own" your material. The Streaming is good (especially for employers) but I prefer to own the videos myself.

My 2 cents ~
    Last edited by Zillatech; 08-19-2010 at 04:25 PM.

15. Senior Member
    the thing that sucks about the cbt nuggets streaming subscription is that they changed the player to silverlight which doesnt allow you to increase the playback speed. I have written to them and they say they will be coming up with an alternative player which i hope they will be because i cant watch videos at 1x speed anymore

Certifications
    VCP5-DV, CCNA, Network+, A+, Bachelors in Telecommunications
    Bump.

Anyone used TS since they re-released some of these videos? I remember watching some of the 640 videos a while back with culbertson and thinking it was a joke. Anyone try the new liberman TS 640 videos?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks