+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. LCA

Certifications
    MCITP:EA, MCTS (SQL Server 70-432) MCP, Network+, Dip. Computer Systems Network Engineering
    Quote Originally Posted by Malasius View Post
    But is this training kit and heavy lab work enough to get a pass? Or will I need to also get additional books and training material?

That probably varies from one person to another so there isn't IMHO one method that fits all. For me what works best is to take my time before sitting an MS exam. With 680 I spent a long time (3 months) studying and labbing the exam topics before I took the test.

With my own study of 640 and 642 I'm trying to gather information not just from books that are specifically about an exam (a la the MSPress and Sybex books) but to read about and lab stuff that is on the fringes of the exam or not an actual exam topic. Which helps me a lot to see the big picture of how it all fits together.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network + Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    It was enough for me. I would advise you. if you already have the 70-642 book, to do the DNS chapter in the 642 after doing the DNS chapter in the 640 book as it'll fill in holes.
    ok i will def do this! thanks for the advice!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by LCA View Post
    That probably varies from one person to another so there isn't IMHO one method that fits all. For me what works best is to take my time before sitting an MS exam. With 680 I spent a long time (3 months) studying and labbing the exam topics before I took the test.

With my own study of 640 and 642 I'm trying to gather information not just from books that are specifically about an exam (a la the MSPress and Sybex books) but to read about and lab stuff that is on the fringes of the exam or not an actual exam topic. Which helps me a lot to see the big picture of how it all fits together.
    Yes, I also believe in taking time to cover everything in depth and try to understand it practically. When you do labbing do you follow particular book exersizes or just do your own thing to try and learn?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. LCA

Certifications
    MCITP:EA, MCTS (SQL Server 70-432) MCP, Network+, Dip. Computer Systems Network Engineering
    Yes, I also believe in taking time to cover everything in depth and try to understand it practically. When you do labbing do you follow particular book exersizes or just do your own thing to try and learn?
    Initially I do a lot of walkthrough's from specific exam books and also from Technet and then my own playing around. When I get a day or two away from the exam I usually go through as many dialog boxes as I can. I find that really helps me in the actual exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    +1 Close to the exam that's the best thing to do to keep it fresh. A lot of MS questions you can get just by remembering how to get to certain options or by knowing what options are available in different dialog boxes.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thought I would put this in here as it is pertinent to studying for the 70-640
    Test Your Knowledge
    MS will send you a few measure up questions every week plus webcasts dealing with the previous week's questions.
    Last edited by earweed; 07-11-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA: Security, MCTS: AD, Security+, Network+, A+
    Earweed's advice on reading the DNS chapters for 642 is good. I am currently reading those two chapters and am amazed at the greater depth of which the material is covered. I didn't do bad with DNS on the 640, but I still wish I had done this myself.

For most of my labs I just take my two office PCs and plug them in a D-Link switch and fire up several VMs on each. I am running Vmware Server 2.02. It gets the job done.

TechNet Virtual Labs

Check out these virtual labs on Technet. There are a few that would apply to the 640 exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member

Certifications
    Which version of VMware is best for creating practise labs?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BS:Electrical Engineering,DRE, AMBCI, MCITP-EA,SA, MCP, CCNA
    I just want to say that I passed the exam today with 950 it wasn't a hard exam but like i said it's a hard study.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member

Certifications
    Congrats on the pass! i am still busy and yes it is a hard study... But i'm taking my time
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I use workstation but I've also used server and both work fine.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCITP:SA, A+, Network+, 70-620, 70-680, 70-685, 70-686, 70-640, 70-642, 70-646
    Hi there! I am also working on the 640. After much reading and consideration, I am using Windows Virtual PC. So far, I have been pretty happy with it. It's free and is pretty simple to use. It will even mount the ISO file for you, if you don't have a 3rd party utility for that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    The only thing missing is snapshots.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCITP:SA, A+, Network+, 70-620, 70-680, 70-685, 70-686, 70-640, 70-642, 70-646
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    The only thing missing is snapshots.
    I have a noob question as I am new to virtualization; can you use a snapshot to create a new VMware without having to install the OS from an ISO file?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    no, but once you create your VM you take a snapshot of it. That way you can revert to your snapshot after you've done those labs. You can also clone meaning create one VM, clone it and it's way quicker than creating 2.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander1023 View Post
    Hi there! I am also working on the 640. After much reading and consideration, I am using Windows Virtual PC. So far, I have been pretty happy with it. It's free and is pretty simple to use. It will even mount the ISO file for you, if you don't have a 3rd party utility for that.
    Hey there! I have setup VMware server and am running one Vm in there. It is nice because you can run VM's in the background permanently and then RDP into them. I am running the rest of the Vm's on Virtual PC. VirtualPC is fine though, its very easy, quick and simple to install and use and it does the job perfectly in my opinion. Also, You can set up multiple VirtualPC VM's and network them together for labbing. Good luck with the studying!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks