+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Certifications
    BS:Electrical Engineering,DRE, AMBCI, MCITP-EA,SA, MCP, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin View Post
    ]. I would like to go the za3bour route of doing each MS exam once a month. Personally, that may not happen, but I will give it a legitimate shot. But he did inspire me to try as do many others on TE. One thing I keep telling myself is that this is not a race, but I would like to keep my deadline of being done with the EA cert by 2011 and be degreed by 2012.
    Appreciate this, my next exam is next Thursday I haven't found it hard to study and it's been indeed less than a month. I'm currently in a 3 days vacation no study just fun already finished the MS book. I'm now playing with Windows 2008 R2 unleached book and doing some final review.

I hope no surprises for this exam (643) if passed I'm planning to finish 647 ASAP , If I could finish it in Nov that would be awesome.

Will take December a full break then back in January probably for a Exchange series or if I did travel to KSA (to start a new job) then some very new plans will be on the way.

If you just organized your plan I'm sure you can do it in the time frame you set.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Just ordered the unleashed book to go along with this book. I'll have it Tuesday so I'll be commenting on that book as well.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Just got the unleashed book. So far I know that this book covers Sharepoint 3.0 just like the Mastering book does and doesn't cover the newer Sharepoint Foundations 2010. The unleashed book does do a good job explaining Windows Media Services.
    The unleashed book doesn't cover IIS 7.5 at all.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BS:Electrical Engineering,DRE, AMBCI, MCITP-EA,SA, MCP, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    Just got the unleashed book. So far I know that this book covers Sharepoint 3.0 just like the Mastering book does and doesn't cover the newer Sharepoint Foundations 2010. The unleashed book does do a good job explaining Windows Media Services.
    The unleashed book doesn't cover IIS 7.5 at all.
    Oh man it does look under Part III Networking Services -->Internet Information Services as for Sharepoint Foundations I think it was released in May so it's not easy to find books about it.
    Last edited by za3bour; 10-26-2010 at 09:46 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by za3bour View Post
    Oh man it does look under Part III Networking Services -->Internet Information Services as for Sharepoint Foundations I think it was released in May so it's not easy to find books about it.
    Thanks, I totally missed it. I hope it does a better job than the Mastering book with explaining it.
    For the Sharepoint Foundation 2010 everyone just has to rely on the technet articles for info.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Thanks, I totally missed it. I hope it does a better job than the Mastering book with explaining it.
    For the Sharepoint Foundation 2010 everyone just has to rely on the technet articles for info.

There can't be that much difference between 3.0 and 2010 that would stop you from trudging along, IMHO.

I am sure that if you are trying to test some sort of functionality, the 3.0 stuff would still be valid and if for some reason you couldn't Technet could explain it.

Foundations 2010 just came out (a few months ago) so it wouldn't be widely adopted in Sharepoint shops. (Not many are early adopters....)

I am sure you'll be fine, buddy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I;m not worried about what's in shops yet but what is on that dang exam.
    Got to pass that thing this time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    This is in reference to the unleashed book. I read the IIS chapter at work last night but had to reread it today. Really best to read if you have your lab available to you. This book is excellent in it's explanations but you need to have IIS active in front of you and follow along with the book for it to do you much good. I especially like that it covers upgrading from previous versions of sharepoint and explains what is done and how you would do the upgrade in a "real world situation"
    Reading the Sharepoint and media services chapters later today. From what I've seen of this book reading it without being able to simultaneously lab it will leave you unfulfilled and lacking the knowledge the book is trying to give you.
    Last edited by earweed; 10-30-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Just finished the sharepoint chapter. The whole book seems to be very lab centric. You should have the application open in front of you to follow along with if you wish to get anything our of the book. This chapter, for the most part, has sparked a real interest in further studying Sharepoint.
    Kind of disappointing that I don't have access to the FULL version of Sharepoint. I'm just labbing with WSS 3.0 but will repeat with Foundations 2010 later to see if there are any significant differences.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. LCA

Certifications
    MCITP:EA, MCTS (SQL Server 70-432) MCP, Network+, Dip. Computer Systems Network Engineering
    Just finished the sharepoint chapter. The whole book seems to be very lab centric. You should have the application open in front of you to follow along with if you wish to get anything our of the book. This chapter, for the most part, has sparked a real interest in further studying Sharepoint.
    Kind of disappointing that I don't have access to the FULL version of Sharepoint. I'm just labbing with WSS 3.0 but will repeat with Foundations 2010 later to see if there are any significant differences.
    For SharePoint 2010 study I'm using Technet for technical resources, there is a huge amount of stuff there including tons of video's which use the full version of SharePoint. I have access to the full version of SP 2010 via my Technet subscription (it's worth its weight in gold when studying MS exams).

I have the full version of SP 2010 installed on a VM but haven't really had a chance to have a good look at it yet as I'm tangled up in studying RDS.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by LCA View Post
    For SharePoint 2010 study I'm using Technet for technical resources, there is a huge amount of stuff there including tons of video's which use the full version of SharePoint. I have access to the full version of SP 2010 via my Technet subscription (it's worth its weight in gold when studying MS exams).

I have the full version of SP 2010 installed on a VM but haven't really had a chance to have a good look at it yet as I'm tangled up in studying RDS.
    The test covers Sharepoint Foundations 2010 so make sue you lab that. The full version of Sharepoint contains a lot of new features that the "free" version (the one you get with Server 2008 R2) doesn't have. The unleashed book spends a lot of time talking about the full version of Sharepoint 2007.
    Last edited by earweed; 10-30-2010 at 02:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    In the media services chapter of the unleashed book you'll find a wealth of info. I recommend still reading the lesson in the MS Self Paced Training kit to go along with this. The unleashed book goes way deeper than you will need to know it for the exam.
    Media services are explained well and thoroughly. Especially if you plan to use it in a work environment. Skip the section on Windows media encoder though as it has been retired and replaced with the free version of expression encoder 4. It works basically the same but unlike Windows Media encoder it works with windows 7 and Server 2008 R2.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Didn't notice a lot of significant changes between the versions (3.0 and Foundations 2010)
    Back to the book...It does a good job of showing you how to work between Sharepoint and the different office products (Office 2007 Word, Excel, and Access) It will work with earlier office products but not as well and needs to be tested before being implemented in a production environment.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ff607713.aspx Explains changes from 3.0 to Foundations 2010
    Last edited by earweed; 10-31-2010 at 05:29 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, MCITP:EA, Security+, VCA-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by xmalachi View Post
    Well, I am almost through the Server Core chapter in the Mastering R2 book. There was a lot of interesting stuff in the previous chapter (Installing Server R2). This book is an absolute gold mine. I am learning all sorts of things already that I probably would have never picked up before. I love the use of command line examples in the book especially. PoSh is something that I have wanted to pick up but I keep saying after I finish this and after I finish that. The inclusion of the PoSh cmdlets gets me all giddy inside and I immediately try all of them out. The imaging portion of Ch. 2 is a pretty good introduction to some of the imaging solutions on the Win7 test so that might be something good for you guys to look into. I would say that chapter + some of the TechNet resources would be an upgrade from the MSPress book's imaging chapter.

I really love the idea of Server Core and I have vowed to set it up before I finish studying for my first 2008 exam. I think this is essential to the noobie admin who wants to figure out the inter-workings of the Server OS in general. I don't want to be the latte sipping admin as described in the book or sexy Chad for that matter. I may have to edit this post after I finish up the chapter if I come across anything I think is worth mentioning here.

I must say, anyone who is looking to learn about Server 2008 NEEDS to pick up this book. I am only 3 chapters in and I have learned a ton. I know that I am not going to be disappointed with the rest of this book also. In addition to all that, this book is going to serve as a reference for me for quite some time. The stuff in here is absolutely foundational, if you don't know much about the Server OS they break it down very well. Nonetheless, I probably will get a little bit of reading in today at work and then tonight and tomorrow will be crammed so I won't get to look at this book.
    per Earweed's request.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. dwa
    which book you recommended for 70-643 and 70-647,as i see in the exams are added materials from R2 server ,i already have MCITP:SA pls for help.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Out of the Mastering and the unleashed I think the unleashed is more complete. As with any other exam don't use just one source. The MS Press books are still good for the exams and then you could use the unleashed for the added R2 material.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Any reason why? Does it cover more material than the Mastering book? Is it written better? Just curious as to why you've come to this conclusion.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    There are a few things that the unleashed book cover better IMO. For instance the 643 test covers media services and the mastering book completely skipped that objective portion. The basic layout of the book is different and just seems to me to be more complete. Either book would be sufficient but having read portions of both I am leaning towards preferring the Unleashed book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. dwa
    where i can find blueprint of 70-643 and 70-647 exams ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Pro: Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator

TS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring

I'm not sure if this is what you mean but those are the skills measured of each exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. dwa
    Quote Originally Posted by xmalachi View Post
    Pro: Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator

TS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring

I'm not sure if this is what you mean but those are the skills measured of each exam.
    i want to compare the books,from which book which chapter to read for R2,dosent matter i will go with those books from microsoft and this unleashed + cbt nuggets.
    Last edited by dwa; 11-09-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    For the 643 the unleashed chapters 2,3,12,25,35,36,37 should do you. For the 647 pretty much the whole book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. dwa
    just another one question

some advices for lab,like 2xdc servers,1xweb server,1xterminal services server...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    That's a harder question than the others as I have gone through so many configurations it's hard to put a number on any one role or service. I've done my labs using 5 VM's and they have had all kinds of different configurations. I just start each new chapter with 1 DC and 4 member servers with no roles installed. Most chapters only actually require using 2 or 3 VMs at a time though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. dwa
    That's a harder question than the others as I have gone through so many configurations it's hard to put a number on any one role or service. I've done my labs using 5 VM's and they have had all kinds of different configurations. I just start each new chapter with 1 DC and 4 member servers with no roles installed. Most chapters only actually require using 2 or 3 VMs at a time though.
    ok thank you
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks