+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Certifications
    MCP (70-210, 70-215, 70-218) MSCA 2000, MSTC (70-620, 70-640, 70-642, 70-643), PRINCE2 Practitioner, ITIL v3
    Does this book come with a PDF version like the MS Press Training books and are there Labs in it?

From looking at the Amazon site I take it this is more reference book than study guide?

I use a Kindle to read most of the MS Press book, I find holding a 1000 page book a hassle, the Kindle makes it easier to just pick up and read. I see there is a Kindle edition but its format isn't as nice as a PDF.

Also while I'm studying I like to have the PDF open on one monitor while I type notes on the second.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    There's no PDF with the Mastering or the Unleashed book.
    They are indeed more reference than study guide but either book will really help you to learn the new features of R2. Having taken the 70-643 more than once I know there are R2 specific questions and they aren't beta anymore.
    The Mastering book is over 1400 pages and the unleashed is over 1600 pages so they are quite bulky. If you buy them on kindle can't you install them on your kindle AND a PC?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCP (70-210, 70-215, 70-218) MSCA 2000, MSTC (70-620, 70-640, 70-642, 70-643), PRINCE2 Practitioner, ITIL v3
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    If you buy them on kindle can't you install them on your kindle AND a PC?
    Yes you can, but the layout is not that great. I think I'll just get the book and alter my study habits to suit.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I'm finding that the unleashed book is much better than the mastering. It has more info, better explanations and lends itself better to your labbing along with the book.
    It is quite hefty though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA Trifecta: (A+, Network+, Security+)
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    I'm finding that the unleashed book is much better than the mastering. It has more info, better explanations and lends itself better to your labbing along with the book.
    It is quite hefty though.
    thanks for making this thread. im a total noob when it comes to server 2008. i want an all-in-one book that i can learn and lab from. ill consider getting unleashed over mastering.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, PMP, MCSE 2003:Security, MCITP:EA, MCITP:EDA7, Security+, Network+, ITIL V3 Foundations, CCNA, CCNA:Security, ITIL Expert
    I just got through taking and passing the 70-649 exam and I use the Unleashed book extensively. I also use the Microsoft web site to fill in more detail on some of the subjects where I needed more information. I especially wanted to learn more about Remote Desktop (new name for Terminal Services), DirectAccess and BranchCache. These seemed to be areas that needed more coverage than the unleashed book gave. But overall the unleashed book was excellent and it is a great reference book - but at around 1600 pages it better be a good reference...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Voice.
    I have both books because they bought them in my job. I was going to pick only one and that was the Unleashed, based exclusively on amazon.com reviews. The MAstering Server 2k8 R2 seems a veru good book but people are absolutely loving the Unleashed.

I am reading the MS Press training kit and then the Sybex book. I think I will stick to the Sybex and the Unleashed and then the training kit for the labs ... I am preparing for both70-640 and 70-642.

When making a decision about a book, amazon.com reviews have proven to be a tremendous source of valuable iinformation. It saves a lot of time and frustration. It is easy to spot the really good info and discard the bad one to make a decision.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I will pick up the unleashed book soon; I haven't read it. But personally I think the Mastering one is chock-full of humor... Minasi is like, "After you get done setting up AD then it is time to turn to group policies and some payback..."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMR View Post
    I have both books because they bought them in my job. I was going to pick only one and that was the Unleashed, based exclusively on amazon.com reviews. The MAstering Server 2k8 R2 seems a veru good book but people are absolutely loving the Unleashed.

I am reading the MS Press training kit and then the Sybex book. I think I will stick to the Sybex and the Unleashed and then the training kit for the labs ... I am preparing for both70-640 and 70-642.

When making a decision about a book, amazon.com reviews have proven to be a tremendous source of valuable iinformation. It saves a lot of time and frustration. It is easy to spot the really good info and discard the bad one to make a decision.
    I've found the unleashed book to be the better of the 2. I'm still trying to get up the nerve to schedule the 647. I'm preparing to move in the next few weeks so it'll have to wait until after that. I'm basically reviewing now and looking at different reources.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. LCA

Certifications
    MCITP:EA, MCTS (SQL Server 70-432) MCP, Network+, Dip. Computer Systems Network Engineering
    The two books mentioned in this thread ('Mastering' and 'Unleashed') are decent books and generally both are well written and are useful tools for studying 647 but neither goes far enough to be able to pass the exam. That is because neither text covers much at all about how Server 2008 interacts with other technologies. Both books would be fine for doing quick refresh of topics but aren't suitable for serious learning of 647 topics to exam standard.

Unless one has a lot of experience IRL of large networks the best sources to get serious at passing 647 are:
    • Technet where there is a lot of hardcore material for those who dig for it, and some of the key stuff is buried in the Server 2003 documentation especially the documents on stuff like planning and deploying PKI infrastructure in large enterprises.
    • The Windows Server 2008 Reskits which should be compulsory reading for 647. Yes that is a lot of reading but much of it is indispensible. The new RDS reskit is now out which is excellent.
    Anyway back to SQL Server 70-432 study.......

Reply With Quote Quote  

12. The eternal student

Certifications
    BS:Information Security; MCSA 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LCA View Post
    The two books mentioned in this thread ('Mastering' and 'Unleashed') are decent books and generally both are well written and are useful tools for studying 647 but neither goes far enough to be able to pass the exam. That is because neither text covers much at all about how Server 2008 interacts with other technologies. Both books would be fine for doing quick refresh of topics but aren't suitable for serious learning of 647 topics to exam standard.

Unless one has a lot of experience IRL of large networks the best sources to get serious at passing 647 are:
    • Technet where there is a lot of hardcore material for those who dig for it, and some of the key stuff is buried in the Server 2003 documentation especially the documents on stuff like planning and deploying PKI infrastructure in large enterprises.
    • The Windows Server 2008 Reskits which should be compulsory reading for 647. Yes that is a lot of reading but much of it is indispensible. The new RDS reskit is now out which is excellent.
    Anyway back to SQL Server 70-432 study.......

I completely agree with you. I think that only resource kits and MS study guides can give a chance to pass exams.
    Also it is necessary to use technet.
    This summer my turn will come also to pass this exam(647)
    Back to IIS 7.0 Resource Kit(by Mike Volodarsky)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member
    I bought the Unleashed book in part because I saw your review, earweed.

I'm using it to brush up on R2 specific material as I bought the MS Press 640 book last year, and got lucky to hear of the new questions while still studying. Now I just need get off my rear and schedule the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks