+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    The book was just too dry and boring so I tried it a new way. Watched Labsim for the whole lesson and tested and then reviewed the book for what I was weak on. I've got Trainsignal for this too and also watched those first few videos but like the labsim better. Going way better. Trying to just read the stuff straight out was getting to me and sapping my enthusiasm especially since there is way less you actually lab with 647 it seems. There is labbing you do but the material is more conceptual and less "configure it this way or that" it's more "this is why you might configure it this way or that way". The only labbing I've really done has been more to just keep me interested than actually needing to lab.
    Doing the videos first I've progressed faster and gained a little more interest in the material.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    About at the halfway point now. Man this covers a lot of material.
    I'm still weak on DNS so going back over that material. Surprisingly Core identity and access management area was pretty easy for me to go through.

@Za3bour, how is changing jobs and moving affecting your studies?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. LCA

Certifications
    MCITP:EA, MCTS (SQL Server 70-432) MCP, Network+, Dip. Computer Systems Network Engineering
    I'm at the halfway mark with 647 as well. Seems like I'm gonna ending studying all of what was in 640, 642, and 643 solely from the design/planning perspective.

I installed System Centre Configuration Manager 2007 the other day to have a look at it. That is one tough install. I also did a couple of the Test Lab Guide scenarios where I ended up with a swag of servers one which has ForeFront UAG on it and is configured for Direct Access. Took me 12 hours to get things working and I still haven't quite finished yet. It was worthwhile building both the networks as I learnt a lot.
    Last edited by LCA; 12-15-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    As far as actually "restudying everything" I seem to be catching on pretty good. I'm actually having to go back and look at some of the" little things" that apparently didn't stick very well earlier. Last week I had to go back through assigning and publishing apps through group policy as I forgot which one did which. It's due to so much time between tests, the stuff isn't fresh in my mind. The Big stuff seems easy.
    The easy way to remember diff is you can't publish to computers > publishing takes interaction (install through add/semove programs) Assign can install app at next logon.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BS:Electrical Engineering,DRE, AMBCI, MCITP-EA,SA, MCP, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    I'm still weak on DNS so going back over that material. Surprisingly Core identity and access management area was pretty easy for me to go through.

Well it's affecting my study very badly, I spent the last week doing paper work and the two weeks before it finishing some tasks at work so I wasn't really able to study (only one chapter).

I'm traveling tomorrow I think I will need few days to settle then I will hit studying really hard hoping that I can finish exam before end of 2010 which is not very realistic.

I do enjoy studying it more now after finishing the first half of the book.

Good luck for you guys as well
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. LCA

Certifications
    MCITP:EA, MCTS (SQL Server 70-432) MCP, Network+, Dip. Computer Systems Network Engineering
    First a heads-up, I've added some more urls to the 647 resources sticky thread, mostly some new stuff about migration.

Overall I'm really enjoying studying 647, I don't find it especially hard, its mostly just refreshing and remembering and thinking about stuff in a different way. I'm planning on doing the exam at the end of January or early February.

Then it's onto SQL Server exams.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. overworked and underpaid

Certifications
    CCNA, MCITP:SA
    Quote Originally Posted by za3bour View Post
    MS book is just ugly, I scheduled it on Dec 20th I hope it's a realistic one. I have no problem in studying but some fun in the book won't hurt it's just dull and hard to follow.

Sybex book is better but what I really like is the unleached one. I'm not labbing a lot this time.

My test is scheduled for the 24th of Dec. Best of luck to you man.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by valen View Post
    My test is scheduled for the 24th of Dec. Best of luck to you man.

Thanks best of luck for you too, I will reschedule for sure maybe on 30th
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. LCA

Certifications
    I've been nibbling away at my 647 study over the Xmas/New Year holiday period and will be doing the exam in the middle of January.

I haven't been doing too much labbing on VM's but instead lots of reading and watching select video's. Much of this exam is at a conceptual level a kind of detailed birds-eye view of the whole Windows Server 2008 infrastructure.
    Last edited by LCA; 12-30-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: improved readability
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55, MCITP: EA, VA & SA, MCSA 2003: Messaging, MCTS: Windows 7 and working on VCAP-DCD
    I have heard that you need to concentrate on GPOs and RODC mainly for this exam.

A colleague of mine took it and said to focus on those areas mainly as it comprised most of the exam.

HTH
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. LCA

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by CChilderhose View Post
    I have heard that you need to concentrate on GPOs and RODC mainly for this exam.

A colleague of mine took it and said to focus on those areas mainly as it comprised most of the exam.

HTH

Thanks for the info!

I can why they like asking questions on those topics as it would be easy to dream up the typical Microsoft convoluted scenario's that they like putting in server exams.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55, MCITP: EA, VA & SA, MCSA 2003: Messaging, MCTS: Windows 7 and working on VCAP-DCD
    Yeah it would be easy to come up with convoluted questions on those topics.

He also took the survey and said the exam was too easy so hopefully they don't change it by the time I take it next Jan/Feb.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. LCA

Certifications
    He also took the survey and said the exam was too easy so hopefully they don't change it by the time I take it next Jan/Feb.
    Looks like he's got his wish as I understand the exam is different now with some kind of scenario components being added. I'm gonna book the exam on Monday.......
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by LCA View Post
    Looks like he's got his wish as I understand the exam is different now with some kind of scenario components being added. I'm gonna book the exam on Monday.......
    That's good/bad news. I'm finally able to study again after more than one month of hold.

I will book the exam on 27th

I'm so confused now about next step though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I've been nibbling away at my 647 study over the Xmas/New Year holiday period and will be doing the exam in the middle of January.

I haven't been doing too much labbing on VM's but instead lots of reading and watching select video's. Much of this exam is at a conceptual level a kind of detailed birds-eye view of the whole Windows Server 2008 infrastructure.
    Yea I agree I don't think you can lab a lot in this exam, most of it is just too big to lab so reading/watching sounds like a good plan.

Please keep us updated about your exam experience.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post

Hey have you took this exam already ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Well I am moving in to this book now after passing the 643 today.

I will be reading the MS Press study book and also bought the MegaGuide from Preplogic when I got the 643 for $4.

Anyway I also have VMware Workstation 7 and a few VMs so I will lab things up.

My coworker took the exam and said it was mainly RODC & GPOs but I think by the sounds of it they are changing it. He also took the survey and complained it was too easy!! Damn guy.

Oh well time to get cracking. Taking a Hyper-V course beginning of Feb so will book this exam mid-end of Feb to finish my EA.

Everyone that takes the exam post up your experiences on it as it will be good to watch.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    My coworker took the exam and said it was mainly RODC & GPOs but I think by the sounds of it they are changing it. He also took the survey and complained it was too easy!! Damn guy.

Oh well time to get cracking. Taking a Hyper-V course beginning of Feb so will book this exam mid-end of Feb to finish my EA.

Everyone that takes the exam post up your experiences on it as it will be good to watch.

Good Luck for you, it seems many are taking this exam soon so hope that we all make it. Why did he have to complain gotta say I did this as well with 70-640 I too though it was really easy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yeah would have been nice for them not to change it. I was already to study hard on GPOs and RODC.

Ah well we can just use all the knowledge from every other exam in the track to combine them together.

Reading to commence on Monday.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. LCA

Certifications
    It seems MS haven't changed the actual exam topics but have added the scenarios (4 I understand) to test whether or not the victim () can plan!

Apparently 646 is going to have or already has scenario's. Anyway back to reading the 129 page document about planning and deploying WSUS.......
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    It seems MS haven't changed the actual exam topics but have added the scenarios (4 I understand) to test whether or not the victim () can plan!

Apparently 646 is going to have or already has scenario's. Anyway back to reading the 129 page document about planning and deploying WSUS.......
    Yep I did have 4 scenarios in my 70-646 they were not that hard but they were much of a surprise for me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yeah would have been nice for them not to change it. I was already to study hard on GPOs and RODC.

Ah well we can just use all the knowledge from every other exam in the track to combine them together.

Reading to commence on Monday.
    Well I wouldn't focus one some topics, with MS you never know what's coming your way.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. LCA

Certifications
    Booked the exam today, waiting for Prometric to confirm......
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Booked the exam today, waiting for Prometric to confirm......
    Good luck for you
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. LCA

Certifications
    Got the confirmation for 647.

9:00am next Monday morning (NZ time). Looking forward to real good scrap with the sure to be very convoluted MS questions!

I'll be winding down my study on Sunday so I have a clear mind for exam. I don't like studying up to the last minute, doing that fuddles up my old scone.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks