+ Reply to Thread
  1. Senior Member

Default Windows Server 2008 Hardening guide

Greetings All:

I am looking for a decent Windows Server 2008 R2 hardening, specifically with IIS in mind. I need to through a server up by Tuesday for a developer and they want it hardened as good as possible. I am thinking of following an old 2003 guide I had and using the Mastering 2008 and IIS 7 book to help fill some gaps. Anyone have any other resources (free if possible).

I was finally about to track down the old security guide:
    iase.iiie.disa.mil/stigs/downloads/.../windows_server_2008_security_guide.pdf
    Last edited by Bl8ckr0uter; 01-06-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA: 2012R2, MCS: Server Virtualization, MCTS-Win7, Security+, Server+, Net+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by Bl8ckr0uter View Post
    Greetings All:

I am looking for a decent Windows Server 2008 R2 hardening, specifically with IIS in mind. I need to through a server up by Tuesday for a developer and they want it hardened as good as possible. I am thinking of following an old 2003 guide I had and using the Mastering 2008 and IIS 7 book to help fill some gaps. Anyone have any other resources (free if possible).

I was finally about to track down the old security guide:
    iase.iiie.disa.mil/stigs/downloads/.../windows_server_2008_security_guide.pdf

Check this site out: CIS Benchmark Audit Tools

If you become a member which is free then you can get access to their benchmark tool and scoring sheet on hardening.

HTH
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, MCSA:2008, MCITP:SA, MCTS x 4, MCSE W2K, MCSE: Security, MCSA W2K, MCSA: Security, MCP x Alot, Security +, ACIS, ACSS
    IIS 7 security guide/STIG isn't slated for release until March of this year:

DoD Security Guides and Tools - Frequently Asked Questions

That being said, you may want to utilize the general web server configuration guide

http://iase.disa.mil/stigs/downloads..._v7r1_stig.zip

for 2008 R2 it looks like the guide should be out sometime soon, but in the mean time the 2008 guide will be your best bet. I wouldn't use the 2003 guide, as I know we found a big change in the 2003 guide defined quite a few services, whereas 2008/Win 7 only defined a few (M$ and DISA are saying leave most "as is"). Also on the services front, just google "Black Viper" as he has done a really good job defining services needed depending on what "level" of server you need.
    CISSP | CISM | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS | ACIS | ACSS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    Awesome suggestions guys!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Default MSS policies hidden????

So I am configuring a server based on the DISA STIG for 2k8. I don't have the gpo accelerator installed on this machine. Is there a way to show the MSS policies without using the gpo accelerator.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks