+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MickQ View Post
    I've found the Minasi books to be brilliant. I've two copies, the 2003 and 2008 R2, both sitting here at my desk beside the MS Press lot.
    I've experience of AD going back many years, so it wasn't too bad for me. All the same, I was dreading the 640 as I'm more used to networks.

As to the difficulty of the questions, that depends on your knowledge!
    I flew through the first 20 then hit the first of the R2 material and that was a speed bump.

As the others say on the other posts, practice, practice, practice. That means labbing.
    Get a PC with as much RAM as you can, a few hard drives in RAID or set up as you think they should be, and VM a setup.
    Think up a scenario, search the web for ideas if you have to, and make a forest with subdomains, etc. All done? Good. Now add in a CA and (if you can) R2 stuff like DirectAccess, Federation Trusts, BranchCache...

Rinse and repeat.

There really is no substitute for real world experience, and you will see how the theory comes together and where it's applied.

One of the questions I had in mine (can't give details - NDA) would have thrown me if I didn't come across it in the field. You'll probably come across your own things by setting up your own lab (VM system).

For various reasons, I've only sat the MCITP exams and didn't do the MCSE. Just done the 646, 640 and 642 - in that order - and passed all three this month and last. Doing CCNA in a couple of weeks, then on to the EA by mid April (I hope).

I wish you all the best with your journey. Don't be put off by a fail or two. Some of those questions are tricky in their wording and have to be read carefully so you don't jump to the wrong conclusion.
    Thanks for your very elaborate,reply,seems like I need to do way more preparation then I thought I would,read through a few books,use some of the things at work definitely not CA

I hate the labs,too lenghty and boring,have setup couple of Windows 2008 virtual pcs,could'nt get the CA to work.

Would there be a easier way to pass the exam rather then spending another month doing labs.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Do you want to just pass the exam or learn something useful as well? Lab it all, and lab it well.
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    Do you want to just pass the exam or learn something useful as well? Lab it all, and lab it well.
    +1 Labbing is the best way to learn the material.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

At this stage just pass the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Okay in that case, best thing to do is to send an email including your name and MCP ID to certguard.com saying you want the latest questions and answers to the 70-640 and they'll do the rest for you.
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member
    Okay in that case, best thing to do is to send an email including your name and MCP ID to certguard.com saying you want the latest questions and answers to the 70-640 and they'll do the rest for you.

Please don't be so sarcastic, I really need to get this certificate out of the way.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member Registered Member

Default 70-640 Exam

So, you guys are saying...... the certification exam has a lot of questions regarding R2?

I am only using TrainSignal and CBT nuggests for my review.

Is this good enough?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CEH, CHFI, CCNA, CCENT, Oce 6-7 series, Canon iPF 5-6-7(+k)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirk3n View Post
    So, you guys are saying...... the certification exam has a lot of questions regarding R2?

I am only using TrainSignal and CBT nuggests for my review.

Is this good enough?

The exam is purported to contain R2 material in detail. If Trainsignal and CBTNuggets do not have the R2 designation on their material, it is not covered therein. This type of thing is by necessity very specific. R2 is not altogether a different beast but they did give the beast some new claws. This forum has listed several resources that I've found helpful in my studies in this regard. I would do a quick search.

and +1 to the "lab, lab, lab" suggestions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. LCA

Certifications
    MCITP:EA, MCTS (SQL Server 70-432) MCP, Network+, Dip. Computer Systems Network Engineering
    What some of the wiser heads here are saying is that practical experience coupled with proper knowledge of the principles (ie. reading Technet for starters) is essential.

Just doing some sort of quick once over and getting through the exams won't cut it IRL. For example understanding replication issues in a Active Directory domain can be a knotty topic to diagnose on a production network but just being to answer a question or two in the 70-640 on it won't do anyone much good.

As for AD CS, I didn't find this an easy topic to learn initially but after a lot of reading and much labbing on vm's doing any number of scenario's I eventually got my head around it. It's important to understand AD very well and be comfortable configuring and troubleshooting it otherwise working in the IT industry is going to be difficult.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks