+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Certifications
    BSc, MCITP:EA, CCN/DP, CCNA Sec, ITILv3, LPIC-1
    You seem to have a good background for the main theory behind where the tech has come from. The exams will (in varying amounts) be asking about the new features* so you should delve into that side of things.
    August is doable, but family life is most important. Money helps with so many things, but family and time are impossible to get back, once lost.

For my MCITP journey, I've worked with Server a little in the 2000 flavours, mostly with 2003, and 2008 primarily in labs. I was able to get my SA in about 5 weeks. The EA was another 4 weeks after that, with a CCNA inbetween.
    I was lucky enough that I was able to spend about 40-55 hours a week just sitting and labbing it out.
    Read the other posts here for guidelines (obviously), and get yourself the second chance (second shot?) enrollment so that you're able to sample an exam beforehand.
    Lab, lab, research technet, and lab. Design a couple of forests, trusts across, build, troubleshoot. Rinse, repeat.

*features - as in the new technology, not the "features" which come after "roles".
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Sterling Mallory Archer Ivanr4g63's Avatar

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, MCTSx2
    RE: Oracle Virtual Box, Yeah I'll try the quest additions and hopefully that'll fix my mouse issue, thanks for the pointer.

MickQ: thanks for the encouragement, so far I'm doing ok on my studies squezing in family time (my tiny loan looks like crap though haven't had chance to get the trimmer started, but I'll get to that) in any case I'm looking into exam vouchers and hopefully I'll be taking the 640 the weekend of may 21st, I want to leave enough study/lab time between now and then, I feel confident on the first half of the book (microsoft press) and I'm turning into technet and sibex for R2 material since I hear is big on the exam, (not to mention many links found on this forum) also I haven't got to certificates yet which I hear I must pay close attention to since many people seem to have difficulties there so for that reason may 21st seems do-able as of now... I'll keep you guys posted. Now back to a little more reading and then bed time only to start all over again tomorrow!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanr4g63 View Post
    ...I haven't got to certificates yet which I hear I must pay close attention to since many people seem to have difficulties there so for that reason may 21st seems do-able as of now... I'll keep you guys posted. Now back to a little more reading and then bed time only to start all over again tomorrow!

I'm on Chapter 6 out of 10 on the Sybex 2008 R2 guide for 70-640. I plan on supplementing that book hardcore with Claymoore's links to Technet resources. I am also using uCertify (which is not R2, but from what I'm reading....I am starting to think it might not matter...yes there are differences between R2 and 2008 regular....but not enough to dealbreak.)

I might be taking the 640 with you, brother...maybe a day earlier, maybe a day later, but I want to take the 640 around that same timeframe. (The earliest being the middle of this month). Lets see how it goes though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCSA:M, MCSE
    Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin View Post
    dude, i've been into ad since the 2000 days. I'm reading the 70-640 part of the 2008 r2 book and if things go according to plan, i will probably be an mcts in early may. Then take the 70-642 in june, and the 70-643 in july (or august).

It's doable man....your motiviation is your family...if nothing else. Secondary motivation would be to give a ---- about the technology you support. but the primary motivation is your family...since you would be getting a raise. Plus you got two other guys to study with....i don't see how that's impossible.
    i agree!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Sterling Mallory Archer Ivanr4g63's Avatar

Certifications
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 R2 Complete Study Guide (hardcopy with practice CD of course! )

To buy or not to buy?
    In order to catch up on R2 features of the exams I was wondering if This new Sybex book is worth it or not, I know some of you here have it and even have taken the time to compare the book to actual R2 material, The reason I ask is because I'm looking everywhere for help with R2, I'm doing some ucertify tests and I don't think they are R2... so without further unnecesary explanations, Would you guys consider getting this book for extra help in preparing for MCITP?

ps: I personally love Sybex stuff, I used them alot in the past and I think they're a good source, but not sure on this one.

Thanks in advance
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP:EA / SA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNA:S, Security+, A+
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 R2 Complete Study Guide (hardcopy with practice CD of course! )

To buy or not to buy?
    In order to catch up on R2 features of the exams I was wondering if This new Sybex book is worth it or not, I know some of you here have it and even have taken the time to compare the book to actual R2 material, The reason I ask is because I'm looking everywhere for help with R2, I'm doing some ucertify tests and I don't think they are R2... so without further unnecesary explanations, Would you guys consider getting this book for extra help in preparing for MCITP?

ps: I personally love Sybex stuff, I used them alot in the past and I think they're a good source, but not sure on this one.

Thanks in advance
    Ivanr4g63,

I pre-ordered that Sybex book to have materials for the 643 exam (the only one I have left). My opinion on it is that its a decent overview but if you're looking for deeper information or even labs to follow wait for the MSPress stuff scheduled out later this year.

Remote Desktop Services (terminal services) -- very thin on delivery. There's a few exercises but the book doesn't tell you what server roles / features to already have installed before beginning them. I ended up back on technet and found remote desktop labs that gave step by step instructions on how to set things up (I put links in the 643 sticky).

Sharepoint Foundation 2010 -- I haven't made it past the first page in the chapter yet after two days working on it. The third paragraph states "This chapter assumes that you have already met the prerequisites and have already installed SharePoint Foundation 2010 on your server per the Microsoft readme and deployment documents." No links provided to where the readme or deployment documents are located. Just downloading the executable doesn't work since the initial install requires it to make connections back to Microsoft and download a dozen or so other items. If you're running on a virtual machine you'll need to open it up to internet access (I wasted 6 hours or so trying to follow the Microsoft instructions to use a network share for installation). I did manage to get a single server installed using the built-in SQL express, but a recommendation I saw somewhere on Microsofts website is to install SQL separately to place the server (even if its only one) into a "farm". I wasted another 8 hours or so trying to get it to connect to a SQL database on another server during the install process (doesn't count the time spent installing SQL server on another vm). I don't know how deep the questions on the exam will be but not having an install walk-thru explaining how to set up the SQL database or make the connection isn't helping me any. Maybe it is helping me learn what not to do, but if this was a production thing and I was supposed to have had it delivered Monday afternoon I didn't meet my deadline, nor would I have been authorized to have made as many changes to the SQL server as I've made so far (the dba's tend to get a bit upset when you start throwing SQL hotfixes onto their production machines).

I haven't really looked all that deeply at WDS yet but I assume it'll be another disappointment and I'll end up pulling my MSPress book for Windows 7 out (680 exam) for most of the detailed information. I'm not too concerned about clustering but hyper-v may be a problem since I haven't figured out how to get that to work from within an existing virtual machine.

All in all, I'd have to say this is the most disappointing Sybex book I've ever purchased.

Sean
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA(R&S)
    I agree with what sean has said.

I had a proper flick through it today and about 90% is the same as the other Sybex Server 2008 Books I honestly have just left it and will only use it as a backup source I honestly found no difference except for the Sharepoint Foundation 2010 and for that im going to start doing Sharepoint Server 2010 later on in the year when the training is available.

As Sean said im disappointed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    It is pretty much a bit of a higher-level overview more than anything else. I found that whatever topics were discussed, I could get much more detail in the TechNet articles. However, I still would recommend you get it, because it is better than nothing, and you won't get into silly little arguments with yourself about how it's not an "R2 resource. You get enough information to jot down so you can read about it on Technet/other resources.

Another good resource (and R2 and regular 2008 is irrelevant, IMO) is the Transcender Study Guide. For the normal cost of a Transcender, I got the guide for free via RTEK2000. Until the 20th, I plan on living in 70-640 land until I get as comfortable with the material as I was with Security+ (which I'm actually glad I have...especially for the Online Responder/CRL stuff...)

I'm getting my butt kicked with the 70-640 Transcender, but that's because I'm coming home from work later than usual. This is actually normal, as Security+ did the exact same thing. I suspect that after I go over the guide and make notes, plus match that up with the TechNet articles, I'll be able to go round two tonight (with some coffee...) and be on the proper side of the butt kicking.

(BTW, in addition to having doing the 640 and 642 for WGU...I have it on my mind that I too will get your raise...LMAO....[I need "fake" motivation for the 646... ] )
    Last edited by erpadmin; 05-05-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Sterling Mallory Archer Ivanr4g63's Avatar

Certifications
    Any type of motivation is good motivation I'd say.

Thanks for your replies, they're very insightful and educative on this decision, I'll wait an extra week and hopefully I'll have enough time to re-read the materials I have and I may still get this book we'll see (any extra study help is welcome at this point), I must say right now im dead on 640 stuff only, I have a rather 'wondering' mind and I get easily distracted when studying a subject, for instance if I hear about setting up a 'router on stick' from a tech in the office I automatically want to hit the books about Cisco routers and such... so I must fight to stay focus for the subject at hand... Thanks for your pointers, always appreciated, I'll stay with what I have on the 640 and once I get better on my weaknesses I may get this book for extra re-inforcing the subject.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSc, MCITP:EA, CCN/DP, CCNA Sec, ITILv3, LPIC-1
    You'll need to delve into the material a good bit more than is in that book. I sat my 643 before all the R2 books came out, so I relied on technet and playing with the things in a virtual lab.
    Basically, what I did:
    Checked the new R2 topics.
    Read up on them on technet and as many details of them.
    Applied them in the lab (where possible).

Bear in mind that I've been working with win servers since 2000 edition, so I knew the old stuff but needed the new. YMMV.
    Also, you can go for your router-on-a-stick and CCNA after you get your MCITP EA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member neathneathneath's Avatar

Certifications
    MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:SA, MCTS 70-643, MCTS 70-680.

To buy or not to buy?

Thanks in advance
    I also bought this book specifically for the 643 section and it does seem a bit thin on the ground compared to other books. I have the Sybex 70-643 original book by Joel Stidley and like-for-like that's a more detailed book albeit not covering the R2 content. I'm doubting that the cost was worth it
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Sterling Mallory Archer Ivanr4g63's Avatar

Certifications

Default The AfterMath

Haven't had much chance to update but wanted to thank you all for all your support and positive comments.
    Also great tips to keep us moving, I have a lot to write about my recent experience but will try to make it short for the sake ease reading.

*Thanks to those who followed this thread and gave me great advise, overall Thanks to TechExams.net this forum K1ck$ @$S!

So basically I passed 70-640 and 70-642, failed the 70-646 but mostly my fault because I rushed to it not being 100% ready.
    My goal as many of you may remember was to complete MCITP:SA in 3 months, my hardest exams I have to say was the 70-640, it covers too many different topics that I wasn't too familiar with, took me well over 45 days to feel ready for this exam, in between there and because of my work I was practicing alot with topics regarding the 70-642. I Started studying late april and end-up taking the 70-640 late july, passed with a mid 700's score and moved quickly onto the 642, which I was able to pass with a low 700 score mid august, a bit dissapointed but I passed so it was ok.
    I then rushed to cram study time, labs, updated material etc and took the 646 last week of august and Failed with a mid 500 score. I wasn't surprised with the score, more so mad at myself for not waiting when I knew going in that I wasn't fully prepared.

My overall experience was great, my joob noticed the effort and end up rewarding me for it as they previosuly said they would. Which I was happy about. And felt the need to keep preparing for more since I see now that I work for a company that promises and delivers which makes me feel fortunate.

My family time took a big hit since I work all day and commute long hours as well, but all this effort is slowly paying off. I still have a lot more to accomplish but I like were I'm going so is definitaly worth it.

STUDY MATERIAL:
    -MS Press R2
    -Some Sybex MCITP material
    -Technet
    -Ucertify
    -PDF and flash cards on my mobile phone
    -Tons of youtube vids
    *This last one, youtube.com, I'm really surprised it doesn't get mentioned much around here, it litterally has every topic, how-to, explanations, definitions, practices you can think off on server 2003 and 2008, slowly people are uploading R2 stuff as well. The only problem is that videos are not labeled with the proper name, so locating the right video for the right topic takes some hefty searching, but if you look hard enough the material is there.

My personal study path was:
    Lab all the excersices on the MS press book at home, (I haveseveral old pc's that were barely running server 2008 r2 -painfully slow- but enough for me to lab on them) read the book after I lab so I could comprehend the topic better and lab one more time the same topic, create my own scenarios once I understood the topic, research the web for solutions to the scenarios I've created, look on youtube for how-to's, read other material on the same topic and move one to next subject once I felt I grasp enough info. Hardest part was learning commands that I barely use.

Be aware - the exam does test you on relatively every topic there is.
    And as mentioned many times in the past one single source for study material is NEVER enough.

I don't want to keep you guys reading all day, but thanks again for all your support. I'm still fighting to pass this 70-646 exam, it is indeed a hard exam but not impossible, once I do that I'll be sure to crack open a cold beer, one? I ment to say a case!!
    til' then I'll keep on studying!

Thanks all.
    Last edited by Ivanr4g63; 09-16-2011 at 11:48 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    B.S. IT, VCP6,5-DCV, MCSE: 2012, CCNA
    Thanks for the update. It was an ambitious goal that I've recently started as well although I'm giving myself closer to four months than only three as my goal. I've been studying 70-640 hard the last 15 days and hopefully will feel prepared to take it around the beginning of next month.

I've been using the MS Press 2008 R2 Study Guide, Labsim, and Ucertify. Did a broad readthrough of the MS book and working through labsim in the evenings while I drill myself on Ucertify on lunch and any time I have a few minutes to take a practice test.

I plan on moving back to the MS press book after Labsim and labbing through all the scenarios there and filling in any areas I feel weak on via a combination of additional labbing and reading technet.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks