Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last
Results 26 to 50 of 62
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,951
    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by NOC-Ninja View Post
    I believe, even the brightest/author/teacher in the Cisco realm wont passed the CCNP in a month.
    I think they probably could. I just think they'd know better than to actually do it. Slamming down exams like they're tequila shots will have about the same effect on a career.

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member LAN_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA area
    Posts
    119

    Certifications
    MCITP-EA, MCSE-NT4, CCA, MCTS x 5, MCP x 7
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by NOC-Ninja View Post
    Reality is we have been in your shoes. Specifically Cisco tests. I dealt with the current CCNA and CCNP tests. Its impossible to passed CCNA and even more CCNP if we based it in your schedule. Moreover, its impossible to clear CCNP in a month. No matter how you try to convinced us, Cisco guys, we believed that CCNP takes time to understand and passed. From the way I see it. You really just want to passed the tests. Good for you if you passed it but can you really answers the questions of the guy interviewing you if you have those certs?

    What if I give you a config, Will you be able to tell me whats wrong with the config? Can you really deploy 6500 series and tune it?

    I believe, even the brightest/author/teacher in the Cisco realm wont passed the CCNP in a month.

    Lets break it down in pages
    ROUTE = 768
    SWITCH = 504
    TSHOOT = 552

    TOTAL 1824 pages + Video tutorials + Labbing = X hrs

    You might as well add your family time and work time.


    Forsaken is right. You will do whatever you want to do. Goodluck

    Let's see here:

    1824 pages/28 actual full prep days out of 39 days/12 hours minimum study per full prep day= 5.43 pages an hour. (remember, I am doing this full-time, my son is grown and out now, and I am single)

    Hmmm, wonder if I could study 10 pages an hour for 7 hours a day and have approximately 5 hours a day (x 28 days = 140 hours) for doing labs?

    Simplified, how many hours does the average person put into study and labs for CCNP? Not days, weeks, or months...how many hours? I have 336 minimum hours set aside over a 5 week period to do this. I said minimum because I usually sspend 14ish hours rather than just 12. 14*28=392 hours.

    If I can't study, lab, test, and retain 1824 pages in 336-392 hours over a period of 5 weeks, I need to change careers and stay under the porch with the little dogs...

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,951
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by LAN_Guru View Post
    There are exceptions to everything. Please don't assume that I am cheating or have any less understanding or retention of the material because I choose to learn something in less days, weeks, or months than most (though the same or more total hours of prep time).
    I think you're displaying quite a degree of hubris in assuring us you're the exception. Which I'm actually ok with, I'd rather deal with people that are willing to speak their mind, than fall in line with the rank and file.

    I'm going to make assumptions based on my personal experiences and opinions, like every other human being, and if being profiled like that offends you, well, then I'm sorry, but that's how I see it.

    What it all boils down to is thus - talk is cheap.

  5. Senior Member LAN_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA area
    Posts
    119

    Certifications
    MCITP-EA, MCSE-NT4, CCA, MCTS x 5, MCP x 7
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken_GA View Post
    I think you're displaying quite a degree of hubris in assuring us you're the exception. Which I'm actually ok with, I'd rather deal with people that are willing to speak their mind, than fall in line with the rank and file.

    I'm going to make assumptions based on my personal experiences and opinions, like every other human being, and if being profiled like that offends you, well, then I'm sorry, but that's how I see it.

    What it all boils down to is thus - talk is cheap.
    I had to look up hubris. LOL. Another thing I don't have (yet) is a degree. Not only do I acknowledge and embrace my strengths, I acknowledge my weaknesses and faults and actively work towards resolving them. If I don't know something, I will tell you in a heartbeat "I don't know, but I will find out". As Louie Giglio said "I am not, but I know I AM".

    I suppose there is a fine line between confidence and hubris. My extreme level of confidence is being confused for hubris but that is OK. And I apologize to those who may feel I am arrogant and cocky as I am not. And you are right, you will always know where I stand and where you stand with me. There is no facade or pulling of punches with me.

    And you are right about another thing. Talk is cheap. Money talks and BS walks so I will be putting my money where my mouth is over the next few months. Hold on tight, it's gonna be one hell of a ride.

    You're OK by me...we think more alike than you know and this thread portrays.

  6. VCDX in 2017 Essendon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,489

    Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    #30
    Whoa guys this is some thread. Chill!!

    @LAN-Guru - I'll have to agree with Forsaken and the others a little bit, you OP did come across as pompous and loud and had "Look at me, look at me" overtones in it. But after I read on, it looked like you had the knowledge and experience to accomplish this seemingly impossible task.

    One of our accomplished members, astorrs, attempted a similar feat once, he did his MCSE in like 2 weeks. All he was doing was getting the cert, and he had the experience to back it up. When he posted his thread, people (including me) thought he'd dump his exams. But disdain and sarcasm turned into awe and respect when he achieved the MCSE in a short frame of time. And mind you he had the experience to back it all up. He did, you can, in fact we all can achieve goals which people think are insurmountable.

    @Forsaken - I'd have to disagree with your opinion that LAN_Guru's stock would drop if he told you in an interview that he had achieved all these certs in a short period of time. Sure it would arouse suspicion, but c'mon, you could ask him all the questions in the world, you could see all his jobs on the resume, you could grill him all you liked. He would stand in the clear at the end of it all.

    I wish you luck LAN_Guru!
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

    Blog >> http://virtual10.com

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,951
    #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    @Forsaken - I'd have to disagree with your opinion that LAN_Guru's stock would drop if he told you in an interview that he had achieved all these certs in a short period of time. Sure it would arouse suspicion, but c'mon, you could ask him all the questions in the world, you could see all his jobs on the resume, you could grill him all you liked. He would stand in the clear at the end of it all.
    No, I can quite assure you that would be exactly the case. It wouldn't my first time around the block, after all. I wouldn't instantly dismiss him based on that alone, of course, but he'd get a much more thorough grilling in the finer points, as I probed to determine whether or not he was a paper cert or the real deal. Unfortunately, I have yet to see a candidate who can pass a large amount of certs in a short period of time, and still retain the knowledge. It's almost always they're good on what they studied last, but it's pushed out what came before.

    I'm not being a dick for the sake of being a dick, I'm just being honest based on what I know, and what I've experienced, and that comes with all the biases you might expect of a personal viewpoint. I don't expect folks to agree with me (I've found it's safer to assume the opposite, honestly), but everyone makes their own decisions.

    He does seem to be taking my criticism in stride, and I'd like nothing more than to be proven wrong.

  8. Senior Member LAN_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA area
    Posts
    119

    Certifications
    MCITP-EA, MCSE-NT4, CCA, MCTS x 5, MCP x 7
    #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken_GA View Post
    He does seem to be taking my criticism in stride, and I'd like nothing more than to be proven wrong.
    And I would like nothing more than to prove you wrong. I would say let the games begin, but this is no game. This is not going to be a stroll in the park. It is going to be 6 months of hell. It will be by far the hardest thing I have ever done but by far one of the most rewarding. I am up for the challenge.

    Guys, I just want to learn what I can, help who I can, and share what I can to the best of my God-given ability... and finish well. That's all that matters.

    Sorry if I came across as an arrogant prick.

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    857

    Certifications
    CISSP, CEH
    #33
    with 17 years technical experience and the ability to learn fast and retain it is amazing. Congrats on your achievements. You truly are a professional.

    I always wanted to see a version of Dr Sheldon Cooper (big bang theory) in the IT field. I
    Last edited by higherho; 07-09-2011 at 04:15 AM.

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,727

    Certifications
    [Reserved]
    #34
    Can I come work for you, where I can work half the year, and then take half the year off? ... that was the one thing you said that stuck out to me the most ... the fact that you can take off half the year ... surprised no one else latched onto that one.

    I need a sabbatical
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)

  11. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,951
    #35
    Quote Originally Posted by instant000 View Post
    Can I come work for you, where I can work half the year, and then take half the year off? ... that was the one thing you said that stuck out to me the most ... the fact that you can take off half the year ... surprised no one else latched onto that one.

    I need a sabbatical
    No, he said he's a consultant, so that's not terribly surprising. I know a DBA that works 4 months out of the year and takes the rest of it off, pulls down six figures. He's a damn good Oracle DBA, so he can get work whenever he wants it, but he likes his free time.

  12. Senior Member Excellent1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cornfield, USA
    Posts
    460

    Certifications
    CCNA:S, MCTS, MCITP, C|EH, CHFI, A/N/Sec+
    #36
    Most of the others here have spoken to the challenges you'll face in obtaining, processing, and retaining the knowledge from the schedule you've set for yourself.

    What I would say is that you sound very driven. While this quality is commendable in moderation, it can ruin your life if not tempered with realistic goals and respect for the fact that as humans we are not meant to be machines that are laser focused to the point of obsession. Don't sacrifice your life on the altar of work, ambition, or knowledge. I believe in balance in all things: physically, mentally, spiritually.

    Also keep in mind that none of us are promised tomorrow. No, we can't live every day like it's our last, but we can remember it's the relationships we have and the impact we have on the lives around us that really matter. No one is going to remember what your CCIE number was or what IT exams you passed. They're going to remember you based on the relationship that they had with you.

    Again, there is nothing wrong with setting high goals and working hard to reach the top, just moderate that with life outside of those things.

    I recently bought a violin. Why? Well, in the midst of working excessive hours, working hard to complete my degree, balance family life, etc, I realized that I had stopped taking any free time for myself to simply do something that I never have before. Based upon my initial forays into rosin and peg dope, I can say with moderate certainty that I will never be invited to play with a professional orchestra. That said, however, I can and will enjoy my ability to strike fear into the heart of small woodland creatures and passersby within earshot of my playing.

    Take time to live a little, that's all. Good luck with your studies.

  13. Senior Member LAN_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA area
    Posts
    119

    Certifications
    MCITP-EA, MCSE-NT4, CCA, MCTS x 5, MCP x 7
    #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellent1 View Post
    Most of the others here have spoken to the challenges you'll face in obtaining, processing, and retaining the knowledge from the schedule you've set for yourself.

    What I would say is that you sound very driven. While this quality is commendable in moderation, it can ruin your life if not tempered with realistic goals and respect for the fact that as humans we are not meant to be machines that are laser focused to the point of obsession. Don't sacrifice your life on the altar of work, ambition, or knowledge. I believe in balance in all things: physically, mentally, spiritually.

    Also keep in mind that none of us are promised tomorrow. No, we can't live every day like it's our last, but we can remember it's the relationships we have and the impact we have on the lives around us that really matter. No one is going to remember what your CCIE number was or what IT exams you passed. They're going to remember you based on the relationship that they had with you.

    Again, there is nothing wrong with setting high goals and working hard to reach the top, just moderate that with life outside of those things.

    I recently bought a violin. Why? Well, in the midst of working excessive hours, working hard to complete my degree, balance family life, etc, I realized that I had stopped taking any free time for myself to simply do something that I never have before. Based upon my initial forays into rosin and peg dope, I can say with moderate certainty that I will never be invited to play with a professional orchestra. That said, however, I can and will enjoy my ability to strike fear into the heart of small woodland creatures and passersby within earshot of my playing.

    Take time to live a little, that's all. Good luck with your studies.
    Well said and thanks for the encouragement. In my incredibly busy 6-month schedule, I have scheduled in a 3-day weekend every other week to go visit my fiance 200 miles away in L.A. (Lower Aladamnbama), a 10 day hiatus in mid-Sept (between 70-643 and 70-647) to celebrate my fiance and my birthdays and what I'm sure will be a much needed vacation, 4-days off between CCNA and CCNP-Switch, 5-days off for Thanksgiving between CCNP-Switch and CCNP-Route, and 3-Days off between CCNP-Route and CCNP-TSHOOT.. All those are total off-days...no studying. So I will basically be 11 days on, 3 days off for the most part plus two 4-day weekends, one 5-day holiday, and one 10-day holiday/vacation thrown in the mix. When I scheduled it all in an Excel calendar template and color-coded everything in blocks, it doesn't look nearly as brutal as it appears here in text .

    And I am sure I will slip a day or two of Habitat volunteering in there and continue doing my volunteering at church. And probably a day/night or two in the woods...Appalachian Trail, Sarah's Creek, Jack's River Falls.....somewhere. My backpack and gear is calling my name as we speak... All that stuff is relaxing to me.

    Funny you mentioned a violin. I went and bought myself an electric guitar a couple of months ago. I haven't owned an electric in 20ish years. I always wanted a Fender Strat but never owned one. I do now. An American one at that. And I bought an amazing Egnater Rebel 30 30-watt 1x12" combo tube amp. Incredible tone. I was in the audio and pro-sound business from 1980 to 1994 when I did a career change to IT and never looked back. You couldn't pay me enough money to go back into the audio business but I love music, it is my therapy. It was pretty cool to hang out with Ted Nugent, Derek St Holmes, Kansas, etc. in the day though...Teddy's a cool cat.

  14. Senior Member LAN_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA area
    Posts
    119

    Certifications
    MCITP-EA, MCSE-NT4, CCA, MCTS x 5, MCP x 7
    #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellent1 View Post
    Most of the others here have spoken to the challenges you'll face in obtaining, processing, and retaining the knowledge from the schedule you've set for yourself.

    What I would say is that you sound very driven. While this quality is commendable in moderation, it can ruin your life if not tempered with realistic goals and respect for the fact that as humans we are not meant to be machines that are laser focused to the point of obsession. Don't sacrifice your life on the altar of work, ambition, or knowledge. I believe in balance in all things: physically, mentally, spiritually.

    Also keep in mind that none of us are promised tomorrow. No, we can't live every day like it's our last, but we can remember it's the relationships we have and the impact we have on the lives around us that really matter. No one is going to remember what your CCIE number was or what IT exams you passed. They're going to remember you based on the relationship that they had with you.

    Again, there is nothing wrong with setting high goals and working hard to reach the top, just moderate that with life outside of those things.

    I recently bought a violin. Why? Well, in the midst of working excessive hours, working hard to complete my degree, balance family life, etc, I realized that I had stopped taking any free time for myself to simply do something that I never have before. Based upon my initial forays into rosin and peg dope, I can say with moderate certainty that I will never be invited to play with a professional orchestra. That said, however, I can and will enjoy my ability to strike fear into the heart of small woodland creatures and passersby within earshot of my playing.

    Take time to live a little, that's all. Good luck with your studies.

    Oh wow, just noticed your avatar and Molon Labe. Another one of my hobbies I sure love my 1911's and black rifles oh, and my TacOps massaged 700P with the 8.5-25 Mark 4 glass on it. And my collapsible Benelli M4 with Tritium ghost-rings...

  15. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    310

    Certifications
    CCIE R&S/CCNP/CCIP/CCDP/CMNA/JNCIA/NSE4
    #39
    We've interviewed a written CCIE who also had CCNA, CCNP, JNCIA and JNCIS, he's also brought his individual exam papers, hes taken his exams a week apart from each other. Guess how he did? P4S anyone? It's clear as day light that he's cheated on his exams just to get his foot in the door or get an interview, although he's done ok on the phone interview but when it came down to do a lab he couldn't get a single question right. He told me he could explain to me how he'd configure everything yet couldn't do it on the actual router. He's also said he was preparing for CCIE lab which to me is a bit of a joke.

    If i was in your shoes i wouldn't rush with passing exams and concentrate in learning the material.

    HTH

  16. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,951
    #40
    Quote Originally Posted by deth1k View Post
    We've interviewed a written CCIE who also had CCNA, CCNP, JNCIA and JNCIS, he's also brought his individual exam papers, hes taken his exams a week apart from each other. Guess how he did? P4S anyone? It's clear as day light that he's cheated on his exams just to get his foot in the door or get an interview, although he's done ok on the phone interview but when it came down to do a lab he couldn't get a single question right.
    Yup, that's been my experience as well, and why I become very skeptical of cert prodigies.

    I don't conduct the phone screens, but judging by some of the people that I get in my interview room, I'm willing to bet they're using Google to dump on that portion as well.

  17. Senior Member LAN_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA area
    Posts
    119

    Certifications
    MCITP-EA, MCSE-NT4, CCA, MCTS x 5, MCP x 7
    #41
    Quote Originally Posted by deth1k View Post
    We've interviewed a written CCIE who also had CCNA, CCNP, JNCIA and JNCIS, he's also brought his individual exam papers, hes taken his exams a week apart from each other. Guess how he did? P4S anyone? It's clear as day light that he's cheated on his exams just to get his foot in the door or get an interview, although he's done ok on the phone interview but when it came down to do a lab he couldn't get a single question right. He told me he could explain to me how he'd configure everything yet couldn't do it on the actual router. He's also said he was preparing for CCIE lab which to me is a bit of a joke.

    If i was in your shoes i wouldn't rush with passing exams and concentrate in learning the material.

    HTH
    I think people are missing the fact that I do study the material, do the exercises and labs, and sim and review until I understand the concepts and theory. I am spending as much (if not more) time preparing for each exam as the average person does. I am not memorizing answers.

    My Microsoft and Citrix lab server:

    Supermicro SC813MTQ-520CB 1U chassis
    Supermicro X9SCI-LN4F motherboard (4x1Gb ethernet plus IPMI)
    Intel Xeon E3-1230 cpu (4c/8t)
    16GB DDR3-1333Mhz ECC server RAM
    4 x WD RE4 500GB drives (RAID 10)

    Cisco lab gear on order (arriving slowly but surely):

    1 x 2511-RJ (terminal server)
    2 x 2611XM 256/48
    2 x 3640 128/32
    2 x 2950T-24
    2 x 3550-24
    2 x NM-2FE2W
    1 x NM-4A/S
    4 x WIC-2T

    I would love to have 1841's, 2960's, and 3560's but that would make my Cisco lab $4k+ instead of $2k and, from what I understand, I don't need those for CCNP.
    Last edited by LAN_Guru; 07-09-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: fat-fingered 2969's instead of 2960's

  18. Senior Member nhan.ng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    184

    Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Project+, Security+, 70-680, MCDST
    #42
    1U chassic...man that thing must be loud

  19. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    310

    Certifications
    CCIE R&S/CCNP/CCIP/CCDP/CMNA/JNCIA/NSE4
    #43
    Quote Originally Posted by LAN_Guru View Post
    I think people are missing the fact that I do study the material, do the exercises and labs, and sim and review until I understand the concepts and theory. I am spending as much (if not more) time preparing for each exam as the average person does. I am not memorizing answers.

    My Microsoft and Citrix lab server:

    Supermicro SC813MTQ-520CB 1U chassis
    Supermicro X9SCI-LN4F motherboard (4x1Gb ethernet plus IPMI)
    Intel Xeon E3-1230 cpu (4c/8t)
    16GB DDR3-1333Mhz ECC server RAM
    4 x WD RE4 500GB drives (RAID 10)

    Cisco lab gear on order (arriving slowly but surely):

    1 x 2511-RJ (terminal server)
    2 x 2611XM 256/48
    2 x 3640 128/32
    2 x 2950T-24
    2 x 3550-24
    2 x NM-2FE2W
    1 x NM-4A/S
    4 x WIC-2T

    I would love to have 1841's, 2960's, and 3560's but that would make my Cisco lab $4k+ instead of $2k and, from what I understand, I don't need those for CCNP.

    Err, to complete CCNP you are looking 2 month of study per exam, this is a realistic schedule and that's for some one with a few years of experience in networking on that level (CCNP). You on the other hand are pushing yourself with two weeks per exam or so, there is no way for some one to absorb this material and implement it in a real life situation / solution. Even if you study 12 hours a day, brain simply can't cope with this much information there's been a number of studies done on this, some good read as an example:

    Memory and related learning principles This principle of long-term memory may well be at work when you recite or write the ideas and facts that you read. As you recite or write you are holding each idea in mind for the four or five seconds that are n

    Unless off-course you have a photographic memory.

    I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, this is just my advise to you, to take your time to study / practice the material well, there's nothing worse than being humiliated on an interview by having so many certs and not being able to answer any of the questions simply because of a rushed decision. You don't want to be known as paper certified.

    HTH

  20. VCDX in 2017 Essendon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,489

    Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    #44
    Quote Originally Posted by deth1k View Post
    I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, this is just my advise to you, to take your time to study / practice the material well, there's nothing worse than being humiliated on an interview by having so many certs and not being able to answer any of the questions simply because of a rushed decision. You don't want to be known as paper certified.
    The guy has 17 years of experience. Give the dude a break guys.
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

    Blog >> http://virtual10.com

  21. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    310

    Certifications
    CCIE R&S/CCNP/CCIP/CCDP/CMNA/JNCIA/NSE4
    #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    The guy has 17 years of experience. Give the dude a break guys.
    Indeed he has and only now decided to get certified

  22. VCDX in 2017 Essendon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,489

    Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    #46
    Quote Originally Posted by deth1k View Post
    Indeed he has and only now decided to get certified
    I dont see a problem with that! Makes him more marketable and his hire rate would go up. Imagine 17 years of experience backed up by all those high-end certs, this guy would rake in the moolah!
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

    Blog >> http://virtual10.com

  23. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,727

    Certifications
    [Reserved]
    #47
    I'm not in any way doubting your ability. As you have a lot of experience with the Microsoft/Citrix technologies, taking those exams should be merely a formality.

    Even with that said, gaining CCNA/CCNP will be more difficult for you, due to the lack of exposure, which you have admitted to. However, since it appears you are good at taking tests, it won't be as difficult for you as it would for someone who isn't good at taking tests.

    If you study hard enough, you can pass any test. The question in the minds of some is will you really know anything? Will you go beyond the exam objectives?

    With an interest in your success, I provide you these links:

    Welcome to The TCP/IP Guide!
    Free MCTS MCITP CCNA CompTIA and CISSP exams, study notes and forums

    The first, is a good general guide on IP.
    The second is a good site for certification exam resources. Many people, of varying experience levels post to these forums.

    (Yes, I am referring to techexams.net, as if I'm not posting to this site. Actually, I think this site is that awesome, so I reference it when the opportunity presents itself.)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)

  24. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    310

    Certifications
    CCIE R&S/CCNP/CCIP/CCDP/CMNA/JNCIA/NSE4
    #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    I dont see a problem with that! Makes him more marketable and his hire rate would go up. Imagine 17 years of experience backed up by all those high-end certs, this guy would rake in the moolah!
    Not only does the certificate matter, it's how long you've had it for, being CCNP for a week with no experience in networking field means nothing these days. I can't comment on his Microsoft skills as that's obviously what he seems to be good at.

  25. Senior Member LAN_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA area
    Posts
    119

    Certifications
    MCITP-EA, MCSE-NT4, CCA, MCTS x 5, MCP x 7
    #49
    Quote Originally Posted by deth1k View Post
    Err, to complete CCNP you are looking 2 month of study per exam, this is a realistic schedule and that's for some one with a few years of experience in networking on that level (CCNP). You on the other hand are pushing yourself with two weeks per exam or so, there is no way for some one to absorb this material and implement it in a real life situation / solution. Even if you study 12 hours a day, brain simply can't cope with this much information there's been a number of studies done on this, some good read as an example:

    Memory and related learning principles This principle of long-term memory may well be at work when you recite or write the ideas and facts that you read. As you recite or write you are holding each idea in mind for the four or five seconds that are n

    Unless off-course you have a photographic memory.

    I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, this is just my advise to you, to take your time to study / practice the material well, there's nothing worse than being humiliated on an interview by having so many certs and not being able to answer any of the questions simply because of a rushed decision. You don't want to be known as paper certified.

    HTH
    Thanks for the link. While reading the page, I kept realizing that I am already subconsciously utilizing many of the techniques for long-term memory and recollection such as reciting out loud and writing down certain things such as TCP/UDP ports, IP subnetting charts, etc. When I do labs, I don't use the exact subnets, etc. as in the books. I create my own labs using the same scenarios, topologies, etc. but the names, IP addresses, etc. are changed. That way, I am forced just a little bit more to think about what I am doing and understand concepts rather than just etching a diagram from a book in my head.

    I really appreciate everyone's comments and concerns. I am not going to sit here and continue trying to convince people that I can do what I say I can do. I'm just going to do it.

    This is where the talk stops and the rubber hits the road. 70-680 at 15:30 on 7/14.

  26. Senior Member LAN_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA area
    Posts
    119

    Certifications
    MCITP-EA, MCSE-NT4, CCA, MCTS x 5, MCP x 7
    #50
    Quote Originally Posted by deth1k View Post
    Indeed he has and only now decided to get certified
    That statement is only partly correct. I am an MCSE and have held Citrix certs in the past though Citrix chooses to retire or expire certs rather than specify a product in the title such as MCSE - Server 2003. So my Citrix certs are expired, but my skills are current.

    Some of you made me want to prove to myself that I really do understand networking. A core understanding of networking will be crucial for Cisco. So I purchased and downloaded the Network+ Transcender. Without preparing, I took 3 Transcenders in a row and scored mid-high 900's every time. Maybe I should go take the live exam and add Network+ after my name? I would certainly hope that a network engineer with 17 years real-world experience (including 8 years in government and corporate IT then 9 years in consulting) could pass Network+ without preparing for it.

    Someone stated that I am hubris. I would also venture to classify a MCSE who also advertises MCP (DUH!), a MCITP who advertises MCTS (DUH!), a CCEE who places CCA after his name (DUH!), or a CCIE who also places CCNA after his name (DUH!) as hubris. Those are givens. If you are a CCIE (or CCNP), you are also a CCNA. Everyone knows it so don't put the entry-level certs after your name just to fill space with letters.

    Thanks for doubting me. It motivates me that much more...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks