Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Certifications
    MCITP-EA, MCSE-NT4, CCA, MCTS x 5, MCP x 7
    Quote Originally Posted by deth1k View Post
    Not only does the certificate matter, it's how long you've had it for, being CCNP for a week with no experience in networking field means nothing these days. I can't comment on his Microsoft skills as that's obviously what he seems to be good at.
    I have 17 years experience in the networking field, thank you.

I troubleshoot by the OSI. I have been working with Cisco products, though on a limited basis, for 7 years... 11 years if you want to include CBOS on 677 CPEs. I am not a total beginner.

2. SS -->

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    The guy has 17 years of experience. Give the dude a break guys.
    Thank you. You are the only one who has acknowledged that 17 years of real-world experience means something.

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by instant000 View Post
    I'm not in any way doubting your ability. As you have a lot of experience with the Microsoft/Citrix technologies, taking those exams should be merely a formality.

Even with that said, gaining CCNA/CCNP will be more difficult for you, due to the lack of exposure, which you have admitted to. However, since it appears you are good at taking tests, it won't be as difficult for you as it would for someone who isn't good at taking tests.

If you study hard enough, you can pass any test. The question in the minds of some is will you really know anything? Will you go beyond the exam objectives?

With an interest in your success, I provide you these links:

Welcome to The TCP/IP Guide!
    Free MCTS MCITP CCNA CompTIA and CISSP exams, study notes and forums

The first, is a good general guide on IP.
    The second is a good site for certification exam resources. Many people, of varying experience levels post to these forums.

(Yes, I am referring to techexams.net, as if I'm not posting to this site. Actually, I think this site is that awesome, so I reference it when the opportunity presents itself.)
    Thanks for the resources. Another excellent IP tutorial (the one I studied back in 1996):

http://web.archive.org/web/201008211..._US/501302.pdf

Certifications

Default Certs vs Experience

There is a balance between certifications and experience. I acknowledge having neglected keeping my certifications current. The scales have greatly tipped towards experience in my case. That is what I intend to change. I personally feel it is easier for an experienced person to obtain certifications than a recently certified person to obtain experience.

I know a girl who got her MCSE-NT4 doing self-study using an emulator on a Mac. She had never owned a Windows computer. Then she went to work for Interland doing web hosting support. Would I have hired her to work on a NT project? Hell no.

I know a guy that I worked beside at HP doing NetServer support for major governement and corporate accounts (NASA, DoJ, DoD. Home Depot, Ford, Chrysler Financial, Goodyear, WorldBank, etc.) back in 1996-97. He had no certifications but was one of the sharpest IT people I have ever known. He knew NT inside and out, constantly playing with it and learning minute intricacies of the product and it's technologies. Would I hire him to work on an NT project? In a heartbeat...

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LAN_Guru View Post

I know a guy that I worked beside at HP doing NetServer support for major governement and corporate accounts (NASA, DoJ, DoD. Home Depot, Ford, Chrysler Financial, Goodyear, WorldBank, etc.) back in 1996-97. He had no certifications but was one of the sharpest IT people I have ever known. He knew NT inside and out, constantly playing with it and learning minute intricacies of the product and it's technologies. Would I hire him to work on an NT project? In a heartbeat...
    Our most senior engineer is a damn good network geek. He just got his CCNA last month. I think it was actually hard for him, because he had to come down to that level, he's used to thinking on a different plane.

So I agree with you that certification does not imply experience (and the inverse is also not true, a lack of certification does not imply a lack of experience)

Going and getting certified in something you have oodles of experience with is no big deal in my eyes, like I said, compared to throngs that are studying for certification exams, the guy who goes in and takes the test to bolster his resume is a ringer. It'd be like me going and taking the RHCE. I'm easily past that level of linux ability, and it would take me about two weeks study to get prepped for their lab. Why haven't I done it? Because the expense of the lab and travel isn't worth it, that's not where my career goals lay. If work ever decided to expend some of those learning credits we have with Red Hat for my benefit, I'd go take it in a heartbeat, but since I don't want to be a Unix admin, I'm not going to go out of pocket for it.

On the flipside, I am studying my ass off for the CCIE, because that's what I do want to do. And work may find it's to their loss that they didn't give me a hand with my training once the headhunters come calling

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken_GA View Post
    Our most senior engineer is a damn good network geek. He just got his CCNA last month. I think it was actually hard for him, because he had to come down to that level, he's used to thinking on a different plane.

So I agree with you that certification does not imply experience (and the inverse is also not true, a lack of certification does not imply a lack of experience)

Going and getting certified in something you have oodles of experience with is no big deal in my eyes, like I said, compared to throngs that are studying for certification exams, the guy who goes in and takes the test to bolster his resume is a ringer. It'd be like me going and taking the RHCE. I'm easily past that level of linux ability, and it would take me about two weeks study to get prepped for their lab. Why haven't I done it? Because the expense of the lab and travel isn't worth it, that's not where my career goals lay. If work ever decided to expend some of those learning credits we have with Red Hat for my benefit, I'd go take it in a heartbeat, but since I don't want to be a Unix admin, I'm not going to go out of pocket for it.

On the flipside, I am studying my ass off for the CCIE, because that's what I do want to do. And work may find it's to their loss that they didn't give me a hand with my training once the headhunters come calling
    Like I said, you and I have more in common than is evident at first.

I am mainly obtaining these certs because I want them, not because I need them. The skills I don't have, I can hire. But I WANT these carts.

And you're right, headhunters will be tripping over each other to talk to you when their Monster keyword notifications alerts them on "CCIE"

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by nhan.ng View Post
    1U chassic...man that thing must be loud
    Not as loud as you would think. Granted, it is a 1U with four high-speed fans but it is way quieter than the Intel server platforms that I have worked with for the last 5 years. This is my first time with Supermicro and I like it more and more. Quality stuff...

Besides, I have the server and anything else with a fan or hard drives (other than my laptop) in a closet.

Lan_Guru,

I don't really think the other posters here are trying to discourage you, despite that it kind of comes across that way. I do however, think they're giving you valuable criticism regarding your chosen path.

You posted this in hopes of getting such criticism from others who have experience, or in hopes of us praising you, correct? Since you've denied the latter, I'll assume you wanted input.

However, it seems as if you're a bit unwilling to accept the opinion of others when it comes to them suggesting that this might not be the optimal path.

I'm not doubting your experience, you have years more than myself and would likely work circles around me. As someone else noted, you can pass any exam if you put in enough time and know the items in the objectives.

IMO, you would get much more out of these exams if you slow down your pace a bit. You would retain more in the long run and wouldn't be killing yourself for no real payoff except a piece of paper that says you passed X exam.

Good Luck!

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Mind_Sculptor View Post
    Good Luck!

Thanks! I've passed 70-642, 70-680, 70-640, and 70-643. Writing 70-647 on 8/24 then moving on to Citrix CCEE. The schedule got flipped around a bit because the 70-643 2nd edition book was released almost a month early. I am running about a week behind schedule due to circumstances beyong my control but I should still be able to have MCITp-EA, Citrix CCEE, and Cisco CCNP completed by December 23rd...

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by deth1k View Post
    Indeed he has and only now decided to get certified

Excuse me?...I got my first IT certifications (Citrix CCA on MetaFrame 1.8 and Microsoft MCSE on NT 4.0 (6 exams in 8 days with 916 exam score average including two 1000 scores)) over eleven years ago in 2000.

13. SupremeNetworkOverlord Moderator Ahriakin's Avatar

Certifications
    CCIE #23276-Sec, JNCIE-Sec #105, TCSE #2343,MCSE 2003-Sec,LPIC-1
    Sorry, locking it. When the post is degrading to sniping, and then months-later-replies to those snipes methinks it's past it's best-before-date.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks