+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last
  1. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS

Default 70-642 exam 9/23

I have the 70-642 exam scheduled for next Friday. Any advice guys?
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member

Certifications
    MCP MCTS MCITP: EDST MCITP: EDA MOS MCITP: SA MCSA
    Make sure you know DNS inside out!

Richard
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Security, MCTS x 5, P+, S+, N+, A+, HIT
    Good luck!! Looking forward to the " I passed!" update.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. um yea i know some stuffs demonfurbie's Avatar

Certifications
    mct: 70-680, a+, network+, security+ (comptia tri-force) project+, ciw foundations, ciw javascript something
    not only dns but ip6 over ip4
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    RRAS, DFS, RADIUS, Teredo....Site Link Local, Local Link Local...

Whatever you have to do to get Configuring Addressing and Services, Configuring Name Resolution (IPv4 and IPv6), Configuring File and Print Services (especially for Unix)...do that. Those were my strongest areas. Configuring Network Access was more than adequate, but not as strong as the former. My weakest was Monitoring and Managing a Network Infrastructure.

Look forward to a pass, brother!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. rji
    I seem to recall the majority of the questions on my exam were NAP, WSUS and as mentioned by most posters DNS. Good luck
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have to admit that I'm nervous about taking this exam. I haven't had the time I've wanted to study for it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, MCSA:2008, MCITP:SA, MCTS x 4, MCSE W2K, MCSE: Security, MCSA W2K, MCSA: Security, MCP x Alot, Security +, ACIS, ACSS
    Best of luck Veritas. I've been prepping for this one and I'm hoping to test first part of October.
    CISSP | CISM | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS | ACIS | ACSS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. bot
    Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    MCTS 70-642
    Hi,

Goodluck Veritas!

My 70-642 Exam is scheduled for Tuesday the 27 September next week... im also a bit nervous about the exam, as it will be my first MS Certification...

if you dont mind me asking, how much does the learning material differ from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2 revisions? Reason for asking, the majority of my study material still reflects on the normal Windows Server 2008.

Cheers,
    Last edited by bot; 09-20-2011 at 09:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by bot View Post
    Hi,

Goodluck Veritas!

My 70-642 Exam is scheduled for Tuesday the 27 September next week... im also a bit nervous about the exam, as it will be my first MS Certification...

if you dont mind me asking, how much does the learning material differ from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2 revisions? Reason for asking, the majority of my study material still reflects on the normal Windows Server 2008.

Cheers,
    Mine as well, so I can't really comment.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    You guys should read R2 material for these exams. Things in R2 are named differently, for example Terminal Services are called Remote Desktop Services, there are some Remote Desktop Settings that did not exist in plain 2008, there is the AD Recycle Bin that has been introduced in R2. When you are taking the exam in a time-pressure situation, these little things can make a difference. Maybe delay the exams by a week or so and read up the differences between plain 2008 and 2008 R2 on TechNet. There are more than a few articles on there to help you out.

Good luck with the exam!
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. bot
    Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    MCTS 70-642
    Thank you Essendon! Will try to delay it, otherwise i am looking at a looong weekend
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    N+, A+, S+, CCENT, P+, CSSA, Datto Tier 2, MCTS Win 7 Config, CEH, CHFI, G2700, FCNSA, MCSA: 2012
    Don't think anyone in here can delay, the new 14 day cancellation/reschedule period puts a damper on that one. Good luck to everyone in this thread, hope to see a few "I passed!" threads.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypntick View Post
    Don't think anyone in here can delay, the new 14 day cancellation/reschedule period puts a damper on that one. Good luck to everyone in this thread, hope to see a few "I passed!" threads.
    Exactly. Are there any PDFs that go through the difference between 2008 and 2008 R2? I will certainly be doing some Googling on this.

edit: I found a 2008 R2 PDF eBook that I forgot I had.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo..._r2_e-book.pdf
    Last edited by veritas_libertas; 09-21-2011 at 07:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Don't think anyone in here can delay, the new 14 day cancellation/reschedule period
    OMG really? So you go to wait 14 days after rescheduling/cancelling? What a douche bag idea, so if there's an important exam to take and something urgent comes up at work, you are screwed. WTF Microsoft.

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    OMG really? So you go to wait 14 days after rescheduling/cancelling? What a douche bag idea, so if there's an important exam to take and something urgent comes up at work, you are screwed. WTF Microsoft.
    Esse, it's not Microsoft, it's Prometric.

They are tacking on a $35 for rescheduling/cancelling within the 14 day period. It's with ANY exam...IT or otherwise.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin View Post
    Esse, it's not Microsoft, it's Prometric.

They are tacking on a $35 for rescheduling/cancelling within the 14 day period. It's with ANY exam...IT or otherwise.
    This is an atrocity mate. What's the problem with letting people scheduling and rescheduling?

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    This is an atrocity mate. What's the problem with letting people scheduling and rescheduling?
    Bro, I'm just as pissed as you are....Prometric was whining about people holding seats or some garbage. I'm pretty sure Vue will end up doing the same thing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    N+, A+, S+, CCENT, P+, CSSA, Datto Tier 2, MCTS Win 7 Config, CEH, CHFI, G2700, FCNSA, MCSA: 2012
    Yeah it's bothering me quite a bit, I'd be considerably more comfortable with an extra week. But i'm gonna give it my best shot, should be just fine, i've got most of the concepts down pretty well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Well, that didn't go well. Now I have to decide my next plan of attack
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, MCSA:2008, MCITP:SA, MCTS x 4, MCSE W2K, MCSE: Security, MCSA W2K, MCSA: Security, MCP x Alot, Security +, ACIS, ACSS
    That stinks. What was your score? What areas do you think got you/didn't go so well?
    CISSP | CISM | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS | ACIS | ACSS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    Well, that didn't go well. Now I have to decide my next plan of attack
    Yeah same thing on my side as well. Close enough that another week would have been enough. I plan on giving it at least 2 however. Did you do any of the chat sessions with Jason? He suggests the Kaplan practice tests and provided me a document that another student typed up, over 100 pages of notes. Let me know if you'd like it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmidl View Post
    That stinks. What was your score? What areas do you think got you/didn't go so well?
    I did better on some areas than others, but overall it was a lowsy score which I'm embarrased to show. My strongest area was File and Print Services. The others were not as good, but not terrible. My weakest area was Configuring Name Resolution. Some of the new R2 stuff did throw me for a loop. I'm going to get my hands on the new Microsoft 70-642 R2 exam book. I'm also considering buying a transcender 70-642 practice exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Yeah same thing on my side as well. Close enough that another week would have been enough. I plan on giving it at least 2 however. Did you do any of the chat sessions with Jason? He suggests the Kaplan practice tests and provided me a document that another student typed up, over 100 pages of notes. Let me know if you'd like it.
    Were those recorded? I never had time to attend any of them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    Were those recorded? I never had time to attend any of them.
    Not sure, I did the one last night with him, wish I had the chance to do one a lot earlier to take a look at the Kaplan info and some other resources.
    Provided equal weighting on the questions I think I missed it by about 3 or so. Although i'll admit I did see a few things on there i'd never seen before, possibly beta questions. Looking at my score sheet it confirmed what I knew going in to the test though, I know i'm strong on addressing, network access. My monitoring and managing a network infrastructure was pathetic but I had it a feeling it would be, still need some DNS brush ups as well, saw some record types that I didn't recall seeing in my book or labsim.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks