+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 52
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    143

    Certifications
    MCSE: Sharepoint 2013, MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Messaging Exchange 2013, VCP5, MCITP: EA, CCNA, N+, A+
    #1

    Default MCITP: Enterprise Admin title no longer retires July 31, moved to January 31, 2014

    Microsoft has moved the retirement dates for at least MCITP: Enterprise Admin title from July 31, 2013 to January 31, 2014. Figured I'd give a heads up to the community about this, since some of us (namely me!) have had no life the last 2 months trying to get them done before July 31 cut off.

    I have tried to get comment from MS about when they changed this and why, but haven't been able to.

    See this for reference:

    Windows Server Certification | Microsoft Learning

    Edit: MCITP: Server Admin still retires July 31, 2013. However, the new title MCSA: Server Admin stays.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    13

    Certifications
    MCTS
    #2
    This really cheeses me off!! I was rushing my MCITP certification & it costed me a ton of money.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    2
    #3
    Thank you, thank you, thank you I broke my head trying to do this cert before expiration.
    Got passed 70-640 only on jun 25, got passed 70-642 on jun 26. Rushing to do 70-643+70-680 next week. Almost no sleep at all
    And here is so good news. thank you. I am going to sleep now ))))))))
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    143

    Certifications
    MCSE: Sharepoint 2013, MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Messaging Exchange 2013, VCP5, MCITP: EA, CCNA, N+, A+
    #4
    I got confirmation from MS today stating that the cert has been moved to January, 2014. Of course, the rep I spoke with was probably just an Indian who read scripts, but I saved a transcript of the conversation just in case.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Junior Starcraft Engineer
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,777

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCTS Win 7, AD, Net Infrastructure
    #5
    Trying to pick my jaw up off the ground right now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Reticulating splines... iBrokeIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,044

    Certifications
    GCIH, GSEC, VCAP5-DCA, VCP5-DCV, MCITP:EA, MCSA 2003/08
    #6
    Just passed 70-648 today, good to know I don't have to cram and rush through them like crazy now!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Junior Member Scorch1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7

    Certifications
    MCSA 2008, MCITP 2008 Server Admin
    #7
    Unbelievable! I was just about to schedule my exam this morning, but was going to wait until tonight so I could use my voucher (it's at home). They also extended MCITP Database administrator until January 2014. Well one of the tests has an expiration date and the other doesn't. I still may take this test by the end of the month, but it's to know that I don't have to. Thanks OP!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    143

    Certifications
    MCSE: Sharepoint 2013, MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Messaging Exchange 2013, VCP5, MCITP: EA, CCNA, N+, A+
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorch1 View Post
    Unbelievable! I was just about to schedule my exam this morning, but was going to wait until tonight so I could use my voucher (it's at home). They also extended MCITP Database administrator until January 2014. Well one of the tests has an expiration date and the other doesn't. I still may take this test by the end of the month, but it's to know that I don't have to. Thanks OP!
    Ha, I take my exam on Friday. Lucky you! These case studies look like a pain in the arse!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    61

    Certifications
    A.S. - IT, MCTS: W7, A+, CIW: Web Design/JavaScript Specialist
    #9
    Do you guys think it's possible to study for and pass the 4 MCITP: EA exams in 5 months time? I'm a WGU student and found out recently that MS extended the expiration dates so for my second term that starts in September, I'm shooting for taking and passing the 4 exams before they expire at the end of January.

    I'm not currently working so I'm able to dedicate 100% of my time to studying for these exams. Do you guys think 5 months is still not enough time to prepare? Am I pushing my luck with trying to get all those exams done in 5 months time? I have experience with Windows domain environments so the material won't be new to me which should help I think.

    What do you guys think?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    59
    #10
    Only you can really answer that question. Personally, I'd burn out. If you do go for it, best of luck.

    That being said, there was a guy on here who claimed to have taken all three SA exams in one day and passed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    143

    Certifications
    MCSE: Sharepoint 2013, MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Messaging Exchange 2013, VCP5, MCITP: EA, CCNA, N+, A+
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunt View Post
    Do you guys think it's possible to study for and pass the 4 MCITP: EA exams in 5 months time? I'm a WGU student and found out recently that MS extended the expiration dates so for my second term that starts in September, I'm shooting for taking and passing the 4 exams before they expire at the end of January.

    I'm not currently working so I'm able to dedicate 100% of my time to studying for these exams. Do you guys think 5 months is still not enough time to prepare? Am I pushing my luck with trying to get all those exams done in 5 months time? I have experience with Windows domain environments so the material won't be new to me which should help I think.

    What do you guys think?
    I studied and passed 4 exams in 3 months studying only 4 to 6 hours a day (every day) so it is very doable. My scores averaged to the high 800s. If you studied 8 to 12 hours per day you could theoretically take an exam once a week. I know a guy who did this but he had 5 years of windows admin experience with 2003 and 2008.

    Can you study 8 to 12 hours a day? Do you LIKE Microsoft products? If not then no possible way. I for example, could of never done a CCNP in 3 months time... too boring and mind crushing (to me).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    61

    Certifications
    A.S. - IT, MCTS: W7, A+, CIW: Web Design/JavaScript Specialist
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatCatalogue View Post
    I studied and passed 4 exams in 3 months studying only 4 to 6 hours a day (every day) so it is very doable. My scores averaged to the high 800s. If you studied 8 to 12 hours per day you could theoretically take an exam once a week. I know a guy who did this but he had 5 years of windows admin experience with 2003 and 2008.

    Can you study 8 to 12 hours a day? Do you LIKE Microsoft products? If not then no possible way. I for example, could of never done a CCNP in 3 months time... too boring and mind crushing (to me).
    I think I can dedicate 4-6 hours a day like you. I think 8-12 hours a day would be too much for me, plus I'm not looking to rush and complete the exams in 1-2 weeks. I want a steady pace where I can really absorb and learn the material because I actually am interested in Microsoft products and really want to learn this stuff and earn the certification.

    What were the 4 exams you said you passed in 3 months? I see your certs under your name but not sure which ones you're talking about. Do you guys think there's a possibility that Microsoft will extend the expiration date again once it starts getting closer to January 31, 2014? It says on the MS website that most MCITP certifications expire on July 31, 2014 so I'm hopeful that they'll extend the date again due to the cert still being relevant and desired.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    143

    Certifications
    MCSE: Sharepoint 2013, MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Messaging Exchange 2013, VCP5, MCITP: EA, CCNA, N+, A+
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunt View Post
    I think I can dedicate 4-6 hours a day like you. I think 8-12 hours a day would be too much for me, plus I'm not looking to rush and complete the exams in 1-2 weeks. I want a steady pace where I can really absorb and learn the material because I actually am interested in Microsoft products and really want to learn this stuff and earn the certification.

    What were the 4 exams you said you passed in 3 months? I see your certs under your name but not sure which ones you're talking about. Do you guys think there's a possibility that Microsoft will extend the expiration date again once it starts getting closer to January 31, 2014? It says on the MS website that most MCITP certifications expire on July 31, 2014 so I'm hopeful that they'll extend the date again due to the cert still being relevant and desired.
    All the MCITP: Enterprise Admin exams except 83-640 which I took several years ago.

    70-642 end of may, 70-647 mid july. About 3 months start to finish for 4 exams.
    Last edited by MeatCatalogue; 07-20-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2
    #14
    no life indeed. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,411
    #15
    I wonder if Microsoft extended it because there was a influx in person going for the certification? - Microsoft realized people dislike 2013 like the plague and wanted to milk 2008 for all it's worth.....

    that's just my theory, but most people in IT can contest, teaching a user-base how to use a Windows Operating system without a start bar (that users have used for 20+ years) and a graphically different OS in every manner possible is a freaking nightmare! - I feel Microsoft is finally admitting it and extended this certificate for this reason alone...

    I heard a survey on Tom's Hardware that people are still insisting on Server 2008 R2 over 2013, sales of 2013 are the wost of any NOS in history....

    food for thought people....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Junior Starcraft Engineer
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,777

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCTS Win 7, AD, Net Infrastructure
    #16
    Given that there is no such operating system as Windows 2013, I would say it's safe to assume its sales are the worst of any OS in history.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    59
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ptilsen View Post
    Given that there is no such operating system as Windows 2013, I would say it's safe to assume its sales are the worst of any OS in history.
    I dunno, it probably will outpace ME.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Senior Member Johnny Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    242

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, MCSE 2003, MCTS (70-680, 70-648, 70-646), MCSA 2008
    #18
    That's a little depressing that they extended the MCITP:EA until January of next year. I was going to upgrade my MCSE 2003 by taking the 70-649 and instead opted for the 70-648 because I thought they were retiring the MCITP:EA as of July 31st. I passed the 70-648 last weekend. Is it still possible to get the MCITP:EA? And if so, what path do I need to take? Or should I just get the MCSA for 2008 by taking the 70-646 and not worry about it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Junior Starcraft Engineer
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,777

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCTS Win 7, AD, Net Infrastructure
    #19
    You just need to take 70-643 and 70-647. If you think you can knock both out in five months, I say go for it.

    The 649 essentially includes 643 as a third set of questions, and in fact you were probably better off taking it separately anyway.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Senior Member Johnny Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    242

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, MCSE 2003, MCTS (70-680, 70-648, 70-646), MCSA 2008
    #20
    So, in order to get both EA and SA for MCITP, I would need to take 643, 646, and 647?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Junior Starcraft Engineer
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,777

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCTS Win 7, AD, Net Infrastructure
    #21
    That's correct, but there is absolutely no logic in getting 646 and the SA. It is essentially meaningless next to the EA, and both yield the MCSA 2008 title in addition to their MCITP titles. I would just take 643 and 647.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member Johnny Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    242

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, MCSE 2003, MCTS (70-680, 70-648, 70-646), MCSA 2008
    #22
    The reason I was thinking about just going for the SA is because the MCSA 2008 title is just that (Solutions Associate) not Expert. How are people able to distinguish the EA and SA after they retire in January?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Junior Starcraft Engineer
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,777

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCTS Win 7, AD, Net Infrastructure
    #23
    The SA in MCITP:SA stands for Server Administrator. The SA in MCSA stands for Solutions Associate. The EA title comes with MCSA, so you still get that title.

    The MCITP title is the only way to distinguish SA from EA. EA doesn't grant any additional titles other than EA itself. In fairness, you could simply take 646 and be done with the 2008 track. If MCSE Server Infrastructure is your goal, you will get there faster by doing this. The reason to go for EA would be to leverage and demonstrate higher skill in the 2008 R2 components. If you haven't actually looked at the 647 or 643 material yet, you may well be better of just completing 646 to get MCITP:SA and MCSA 2008.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Senior Member Johnny Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    242

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, MCSE 2003, MCTS (70-680, 70-648, 70-646), MCSA 2008
    #24
    Okay, thanks for clarifying things!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,411
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by ptilsen View Post
    The SA in MCITP:SA stands for Server Administrator. The SA in MCSA stands for Solutions Associate. The EA title comes with MCSA, so you still get that title.

    The MCITP title is the only way to distinguish SA from EA. EA doesn't grant any additional titles other than EA itself. In fairness, you could simply take 646 and be done with the 2008 track. If MCSE Server Infrastructure is your goal, you will get there faster by doing this. The reason to go for EA would be to leverage and demonstrate higher skill in the 2008 R2 components. If you haven't actually looked at the 647 or 643 material yet, you may well be better of just completing 646 to get MCITP:SA and MCSA 2008.
    That is probably the best clarification I've heard to date!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks