+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSA:2008/7 MCITP:EA/SA EDST/EST MCSE'03 SBS'08/'03 MCDST A+ N+ Sec+ Srv+ VCP5-DCV VCA-DCV/Cloud
    The exams for Server 2008 R2 haven't retired yet nor is there a retirement date set. If you really wanted to take Server 2008 exams then no you wouldn't review a Server 2012 book. You would be looking at the 70-640 R2, 70-642 R2 and 70-646 R2 books = MCSA 2008.

In real life you just learn the differences between the two versions but if you work for a MS partner or will be implementing Server 2012 or generally just need an MCSA/MCSE for your job hunting I personally would choose the Server 2012 exams as the place to start. But that's for you to decide.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif Dasl View Post
    XP does not have mainstream support, that ended in April 2010 - it has extended support (security updates only).

Server 2008 R2 is almost 5 years old already, if I were starting out I would go with Server 2012 R2 exams. Not only is it one exam less (no upgrade exam), and the book for the upgrade exam is very lightweight at 400 pages.

But in my opinion you want to be ahead of the curve, not behind it. Server 2008 R2's best days are over - why would you certify in something which tons of people already have, you don't stand out and it's not like Microsoft re-invented the wheel or something. Being certified in Server 2012 is fine for working on Server 2008 for the most part.
    I am getting my exams done for 2008, because it is the prevalent server OS in the market I currently live and work in, I know for a fact there is only one company that is running 2012, and virtually every other company I have talked to are not planning to upgrade anytime soon, and getting the certs after 2008 are done for 2012 are not that difficult. As I am retired with a good retirement income and living in a smaller area, I don't need to compete with the young guys in the big cities and I have no plans on moving now or in the future, I am kind of a big fish in a small pond where I live and besides it is not a waste of time for me, I find learning fun and will continue to do so, I don't have to reach any goals to make a living, so for me, it is just extra money to play with.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks