+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    MCSE NT4 MCSA 2000/2003 Security+ (expired: CWNA, CNA, CCNA)
    Since the 'resource records' is a relatively basic topic I tried to make a tricky question, so I'm kinda glad the answer isn't that obvious after all.

The answer to question 9 is B.

Explanation: Creating a CNAME (Alias) record with the host name of the Linux SMTP server and the IP address of the Exchange server will allow the application on the clients to keep using the Linux SMTP server’s hostname to connect to the Exchange.

Although SMTP is mentioned quite a lot in the question and answers, you do not need to create an MX record to allow the application on the clients to send mail. When you configure an SMTP client, you typically configure it with the hostname of the mail server. It does not need an MX record to reach the SMTP server. MX records are used by other SMTP servers to locate the Mail Exchanger (MX) for a particular domain, not by local clients.

Exam objective: Manage DNS record settings.

Reference: Add an alias (CNAME) resource record to a zone

Reference 2: Resource records reference

I'm going to change the answers of the question slightly by changing 'host name' into 'FQDN'. Comes down to the same thing and doesn't influence the actual question or correct answer, but is a bit more accurate.

New question later today. I'll probably also finish moving the first 10 questions to our online test engine, it's a bit of a tedious job so it may be delayed until tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, MCP, N+, MCSA/E 2000/2003, MCSA/E + Messaging 2000, 3M Fiber Intro, CCNA
    Oh ok....I understand now
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    As you may have noticed, no question yesterday, and probably no new question today either. The good news is that I moved the first 8 questions, together with 2 I wrote before, to our exam engine:

www.techexams.net/microsoft/70-291.shtml

I'll have some time this weekend to write a couple of question in advance, so next week I'll post at least one per day again.

The next question will be about DNS again, after that one we'll move on to the 'network security' domain.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE 2003, MCSA:M, MCDST
    waiting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by _omni_
    waiting
    Please be patient, I'll post a new question when I get the time...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    ...which is now. I'm sorry for the delay, there's always something unexpected messing up my schedule so consider my predictions optimistic. Here's question number 10, read carefully.

10. You are the network administrator for a company with a large mixed environment. 6 Windows Server 2003 computers, 800 Windows XP Professional computers, and 160 Windows NT4 Workstation computers are joined to as single Active Directory domain.

All of these computers are configured to use a domain controller running an Active Directory integrated zone called techexams.net as the primary DNS server, and another Windows 2003 server as the primary WINS server.

Your company recently acquired a new research division and you have been asked to integrate 120 UNIX clients and a UNIX server. The UNIX server runs BIND DNS and you decide to configure it as a secondary server for the techexams.net domain. You reconfigure all clients to use the Windows 2003 domain controller as the primary DNS server, and the UNIX BIND server as the secondary server.

When you test the configuration, you discover the UNIX clients are not able to connect to the Windows NT 4 computers by name. What should you do to allow to provide working name resolution for all clients?

a. Configure WINS forward lookup on the DNS server and enable the Replicate this record option.
    b. Configure WINS forward lookup on the techexams.net zone and enable the Do not replicate this record option.
    c. Reconfigure the UNIX clients to use the BIND DNS server as their primary DNS server
    d. Configure the Windows NT 4 clients to dynamically register their host name in DNS
    e. Configure the UNIX clients to use the WINS server as the secondary DNS server

Answer + explanation + new question tomorrow..., probably
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    ok. wow. i'll have a go at this.

i think the problem here is that Windows NT 4.0 does not register itself dynamically. so the unix comps (in fact, all the computers) are unable to find them in the DNS database.
    so we would need to use WINS.

D - is eliminated first, because that is impossible.
    C - will not do much good.
    E - i don't think you can do that.

A or B - i will go with B simply because the WINS lookup is configured on the zone rather than the server object.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    That's correct for both the explanation and the answer.

Answer: B

Explanation: Configuring WINS forward lookup on the DNS server, allows the DNS server to query the WINS server for names for which it does not have a record. In this scenario, the Windows NT 4 computers do not dynamically register their names in DNS, which is not a problem for the Windows computers since they are configured to use the WINS server as well. The UNIX computers that are added to the network are not able to connect to the Windows NT 4 computers by name because they do not use the WINS server. Configuring the DNS server to forward requests from the UNIX computers to the WINS server, allows the UNIX servers to use the WINS server transparently and without any additional configuration.

Because the BIND servers functions as a secondary server for the zone, the option Do not replicate this record should be enabled. Replicated the special WINS lookup record to non-Windows DNS servers can result in zone transfer problems.

WINS forward lookup is configured in the zone properties, not for the entire server.

Exam objectives:
    Manage DNS zone settings.
    Configure DNS zone options.

Reference: Integrating DNS with WINS

Reference 2: Using WINS lookup
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    I might post another one today, but in the meantime here's a little challenge:

What two other solutions would solve the problem in the scenario of the previous question?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    assuming the unix comps must be able to access the WinNT comps via DNS:

1. configure DHCP to dynamically update the A/PTR records for clients that do not request it.
    if the zone is 'secure updates only' then you will have to add the DHCP server to the DNSUpdateProxy group.

2. add the records manually to the DNS zone or the unix machines' hosts file.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications

Another, 'manual' option would be to configure SAMBA on the UNX clients to allow them to query the WINS server directly. Not a 'recommended' solution of course.

New question later today...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    I planned one for the Network Security domain, but turned out writing one for the "Maintaining a Network Infrastructure" domain...

11. You are the network administrator at a large law firm with 400 Windows XP computers and 15 Windows 2003 servers. Your network is divided into two subnets, each using a class C network address, and connected by a Windows 2003 Server running RRAS.

80 Windows XP clients from the Sales department are located in the same subnet. Users from this department frequently complain about the overall performance of the network. After investigating the problem, you suspect that the network is being saturated with excessive broadcast traffic.

Which of the following tasks allows you to identify the largest broadcaster on the subnet?

a. Run System Monitor on one of the clients to gather network statistics for all of the clients.
    b. Run Performance Logs and Alerts on each client to gather network statistics for each individual computer.
    c. Run the Network Monitor from SMS server to capture all broadcast traffic on the subnet.
    d. Run Network Monitor to capture all traffic and sort the Broadcasts Sent column.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    total guess here (or rather, process of elimination)

A - i think system monitor can gather statistics for only one computer at the time. then i don't think it will even show which computer is sending the broadcasts (can you even specify broadcats? i forget...).
    B - that would require too much administrative effort (HA! i'm starting to pick up microsoft's irritating ways).
    C - we don't have an SMS server (at least, none was mentioned).
    D - sounds the best.
    it would work, because all computers will pick up the broadcasts (including the server in question) and with network monitor i will be able to see who's ip or mac address is spamming the network.

thanks for the questions! keep up the good work
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Now that you mention it, there's no SMS server... when you read the explanation it'll be obvious why I threw SMS in their. I think I'll change the question a bit, and add an SMS server to network, and some IP addressing info.

You're most welcome, and thanks for answering them. The direct response in the topic is definitely helpful for testing the questions before I add them to the test engine.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    when you read the explanation it'll be obvious why I threw SMS in their.
    i think i know why you did - because sms server comes with the full version of netmon which can be run in promiscuous mode...yeah i think i would have chosen that had there been an sms server around.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Exactly. The network monitor included in SMS can monitor network traffic for remote computers as well. While the network monitor included in Windows 2003, can only be used to monitor network traffic targeted at its own local NICs, which includes broadcast traffic from all other systems in the subnet. Full explanation of correct and incorrect answers tomorrow, and hopefully a question about the Network Security domain.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    I don't have a new question yet, but I see I haven't posted the answer for previous one yet, although _omni_ explained it already. The answer to question 11 is indeed D.

System Monitor and Performance log and alerts can track te number of non-unicast packets (hence broadcast and multicast) but does not log the source address. Monitoring the each individual computer would work, but would indeed require too much administrative effort.

The network monitor included in SMS can monitor network traffic for remote computers, while the network monitor included in Windows 2003, can only be used to monitor network traffic targeted at its own local NICs, but this includes broadcast traffic from all other systems in the subnet so the regular Windows 2003 version of Network Monitor will do. Sorting the Broadcasts Sent column of the results allows you to identify the largest spammer on the network.

Exam Objectives:
    - Monitor network traffic. Tools might include Network Monitor and System Monitor.

Reference: Identify the largest broadcaster on the network

Reference 2: Network Monitor overview
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member
    I don't know if this is the right spot or if I even read the question correctly but I think I found a typo. The answer for the question that begins:

5. You are the network administrator at a large law firm with 400 Windows XP computers and 15 Windows 2003 servers in a single Active Directory domain. The computers and servers are divided over 2 subnets that are connected by a RRAS server as shown in the following diagram.
    does not appear to have a correct answer listed in the solution. Granted the answers is indeed there, I think it's just typed wrong.

This is the phrase:
    Answer D is incorrect because you don't need to authorize a DHCP server separately for different subnets.
    D, I believe, needs to be changed to B.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    I see what you mean, the ABCD in the explanation doesn't line up with the available answers even though the correct answer is the correct answer in our test engine. Fixed that, thanks for letting me know.

On a side note, I'll probably won't be updating this topic with new questions for the next several weeks, but will eventually start covering other exam objectives, so that's why this topic is still a sticky.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Junior Member

Default Good Stuff

Hello, just to thank you like 2 years latter your Q&A.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks