+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: DNS question

1. Sie
    Running on caffine

Certifications
    ADITP (Advanced Diploma for IT Practitioners) & MCSA (70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-299) | Currently working towards C|EH
    lol, sorry bud I didnt have chance to run through the whole page but thought it may help.

dcpromo /forceremoval is run from the DC you are demoting, just wondered if you had tried this option.

See here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/332199

I havent personally had to remove the metadata manually myself but im looking around to see if theres anything that can help you.

If i find anything I will let you know
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Seems like I'm the one having the most problems preparing for any exam. I ran into plenty of problems when I was preparing for the 290.

Yeah, I know that dcpromo /forceremoval is run from the DC that I am trying to kill. I dont want to do it on my only working DC!!
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    New errors on server01. One says that the Knowledge Consistency Checker has detected that successive attempts to replicate have consistently failed.

Another saying that this server is the owner of the FSMO role but does not consider it valid. For the partition which contanis the FSMO, this server has not replicated successfully with any of its partners snice this server has been restarted. Replication errors are preventing validation of this role.

Are all these errors DNS related? Atleast they sound like they are.

Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Sie
    Running on caffine

Certifications
    ADITP (Advanced Diploma for IT Practitioners) & MCSA (70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-299) | Currently working towards C|EH
    Is server 2 still down??

As far as I can tell you AD on Server 1 still thinks Server 2 is there and its still a DC, correct?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Sie
    Is server 2 still down??

As far as I can tell you AD on Server 1 still thinks Server 2 is there and its still a DC, correct?
    Server2 is still down and server1 still thinks that it is a DC. In fact, it always has.

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I have installed a member server, named it server3. But havent promoted it to a DC yet, will wait till someone tells me how to clear the mess server2 has created. As I said before, that link that astorrs posted still doesnt work for me. Still get that error "The connected server will not remove its own metadata ".

Enough for the night.

~~ Cracks open a cold beer ~~

Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astorrs
    If you're okay with starting over go ahead and start the rebuild, while its running follow the steps here on server1 to cleanup the mess server2 probably left behind: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498
    He told you how to do that already

You need to use ntdsutil to remove the metadata.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    You were probably selecting the wrong server, make sure you pick server2 when you get to this step:

13. Type select server number, where number is the number associated with the server you want to remove. You receive a confirmation listing the selected server, its Domain Name System (DNS) host name, and the location of the server's computer account you want to remove.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik
    If you're okay with starting over go ahead and start the rebuild, while its running follow the steps here on server1 to cleanup the mess server2 probably left behind: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498
    He told you how to do that already

You need to use ntdsutil to remove the metadata.
    Yeah, I know he's told me to that already . But the problem is I cannot complete the remove operation. It just says "Selected server cannot delete its own metadata.

Andrew, I am not selecting the wrong server. I am selecting server2 man. I am having a look at experts-exchange to see if they have someone who had this problem of not being able to remove metadata.

Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    Can you confirm you are you picking server1 for this step?

under "Procedure 1"
    5. Type connect to server servername, and then press ENTER. You should receive confirmation that the connection is successfully established. If an error occurs, verify that the domain controller being used in the connection is available and the credentials you supplied have administrative permissions on the server.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Can you confirm you are you picking server1 for this step?
    Do you mean that I connect to server1 in this step even though I am physically at server1?

Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    Yes, you only use server2 when you are selecting the one to delete in step #13
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I will give that a shot as soon as I get home from work. Seems it will work now as I was not doing it at the right server.

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    There's been some respite from the problems it seems, finally

As Andrew pointed out that I wasnt connected to the right computer which was why I was getting the error that the selected computer cannot delete own metadata.

This time I connected to server1 and then did the cleanup on server2 and got the following message when I hit enter at the final step:

Removing FRS metadata from the selected server.
    Searching for FRS members under "CN=server02,dc=contoso...."
    Deleting subtree under "cn=server02,dc=contoso.com....."
    The attempt to remove the FRS settings on "cn=server02,cn=default-first-site,cn=sites,cn=configuration,dc=contoso...." failed because "Element not found"

metadata cleanup is continuing
    "cn=server02,cn=servers,cn=default-first-site,cn=sites....." removed from server server01

----

Is the above normal in this scenario??

I also followed all instructions in the following link, (after the above steps) http://www.petri.co.il/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm

I have deleted all records of server2 from the DNS snap-in on server01, i.e. SRV, A, CNAME, and MX. And also deleted server2 in AD Sites and Services.

server2 disappeared from the DC's OU automatically.

Seems things have gone quite well, which is a relief. Now please give me some advice.

1. I should never turn server02 on again? It was a virtual machine anyways, so I delete the machine in VMWare?
    2. I should not name a computer server2 again as it might revive the computer object?
    3. How do I tell for sure that there an no traces left of server2? (nslookup etc.??)

Thank you for your help everyone, especially Sie and Andrew.

Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by MobilOne
    Is the above normal in this scenario??

1. I should never turn server02 on again? It was a virtual machine anyways, so I delete the machine in VMWare?
    2. I should not name a computer server2 again as it might revive the computer object?
    3. How do I tell for sure that there an no traces left of server2? (nslookup etc.??)
    Yes the missing objects were a part of the problem as to why the DC wasn't functioning (the dcpromo only half worked).

1. Yes, delete the VM (aka "reformat" the hardware)

2. You can reuse the name. All records of it should be gone.

3. Do an NSLOOKUP for server2 and enable Advanced view in ADUC and perform a search just to be safe, but you should be fine.

P.S. You're 290/291 adventures while they are more difficult than most are still giving you some great experience.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

dont forget the DNS setup procedure either, do you want dns on server 2 cause if you do dont tell server 2 to use server 1's dns while you install DNS. it would more than likely return an error saying it cannot set up dns because of some issue.

am i making myself clear? lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    P.S. You're 290/291 adventures while they are more difficult than most are still giving you some great experience.
    Undoubtedly have! Thank you for tips.

Quote Originally Posted by wedge1988
    if you do dont tell server 2 to use server 1's dns while you install DNS
    server2 had been pointing to server1 for DNS. But the problems were because server2 had not been correctly promoted to DC.

Now that server2 is dead and server1 has no knowledge of it, I am getting some very welcome event logs, with some saying "All problems preventing file replication have been resolved..." and "Server1 is now replicating with other DC's".

Thank you all once again!

P.S. Next time I promote a server to DC I am going to do scrutinise the process very carefully and scour the event logs for any illnesses!

Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    Here's another tip (if I haven't told you before) look for those shares (net view \\<dc name>) as its basically the last thing done after AD loads.

And just to be safe, maybe do a dcdiag and make sure everything is kosher.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Here's another tip (if I haven't told you before) look for those shares (net view \\<dc name>) as its basically the last thing done after AD loads.
    You already have told me that, but thanks for ramming home the point.

And just to be safe, maybe do a dcdiag and make sure everything is kosher.
    Will do.

P.S. I have a few more questions, that I'll post shortly in a new thread.

Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Sie
    Running on caffine

Certifications
    Glad to see you got it sorted!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Am I gald too!!!

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks