+ Reply to Thread

Thread: books

Certifications
    MCSE: SharePoint 2013, Productivity

Default books

Hi Guys,

I passed the 290 on the 10th now looking into geeting a book for the 291. I have been looking at amazon and seen the MS press book for this exam, but the reviews for it are shockingly bad. Has anyone else got/used this book?

This is the one I'm on about:

MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit Exam 70-291 : Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Network ... Infrastructure, Sec Pro Certification: Amazon.co.uk: J.C. Mackin and Ian McLean: Books
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. I eat bubbles Alif_Sadida_Ekin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knownhero View Post
    Hi Guys,

I passed the 290 on the 10th now looking into geeting a book for the 291. I have been looking at amazon and seen the MS press book for this exam, but the reviews for it are shockingly bad. Has anyone else got/used this book?

MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit Exam 70-291 : Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Network ... Infrastructure, Sec Pro Certification: Amazon.co.uk: J.C. Mackin and Ian McLean: Books

It seems that alot of the negative reviews are for the 70-284 book. This was the only book I used for my studies. It was more than enough information and it seemed to cover everything very well. The only thing it lacked was information covering WSUS 3.0. It covers a little general WSUS, but you need to know 3.0 specifics. This isn't a bad thing though. Just install 3.0 and mess around with it. It isn't difficult. If you've done 70-290 then you already know everything about the theory and how WSUS works.
    MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Alif_Sadida_Ekin View Post
    It seems that alot of the negative reviews are for the 70-284 book. This was the only book I used for my studies. It was more than enough information and it seemed to cover everything very well. The only thing it lacked was information covering WSUS 3.0. It covers a little general WSUS, but you need to know 3.0 specifics. This isn't a bad thing though. Just install 3.0 and mess around with it. It isn't difficult. If you've done 70-290 then you already know everything about the theory and how WSUS works.
    Totally off topic, but I just "got" your forum name.

MS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Nidhoggr, the Net Serpent Claymoore's Avatar

Certifications
    AWS Architect, MCSEx3, MCITPx6, MCTSx17
    Quote Originally Posted by eMeS View Post

MS
    Didn't realize there was anything to 'get' until you mentioned it. Quite a feet to uncover it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    JNCIP-SEC, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIA-JunOS, CCNA, CCENT, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, MCP, Network+, Security+

MS

wow, that makes two of us!

congrats on the pass OP; and the MS Press book is definitely a good choice for your primary book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks for your imput on this. Ive went a head and ordered the book should be down in the next few days. Then I can start setting out study time for this one. Once I got this I can finally get my MCSA then start the Exchange part of it.
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013

Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymoore View Post
    Didn't realize there was anything to 'get' until you mentioned it. Quite a feet to uncover it.
    Nice one.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. I eat bubbles Alif_Sadida_Ekin's Avatar

MS

LOL! And this is exactly what separates all of you guys from the "normal crowd". I knew that if someone were to "get" my screen name without me having to explain it, it would be someone from here. I use this (or some other variation) as my name when I'm playing games like counter-strike or COD4, and most people just think i'm some guy from the middle east or something...
    MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    LOL! And this is exactly what separates all of you guys from the "normal crowd". I knew that if someone were to "get" my screen name without me having to explain it, it would be someone from here. I use this (or some other variation) as my name when I'm playing games like counter-strike or COD4, and most people just think i'm some guy from the middle east or something...
    Funny thing is, I wonder how many people are thinking WTF?

MS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCP, A+, Network+
    I got it.

I'll take chocolate chip please.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    and most people just think i'm some guy from the middle east or something...
    Guilty
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network +, Security +, MCP, MCSA
    Quote Originally Posted by knownhero View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am currently using this book. It was provided to me from my instructor. There are books out there that can simplify the topics better. But in my honest opinion this book is nothing but straight forward factual content. If you have really good study habits then this book is for you. But if your looking for simplicity and more friendly material that makes studying interesting then this isn't for you. Just my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    or something...
    dyslexic geek/nerd with an athletic shoe fetish?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member

Certifications
    70-210, 215,70-290 WIP 70-291
    Studying 291 I found this book a big help a deeper knowledge on DNS and make things much clear then using Self-Paced Training Kit.

DNS Windows Server 2003
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, MCSA, MCTS (620/642/680), MCDST, MCITP: EDST7
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishoil View Post
    Studying 291 I found this book a big help a deeper knowledge on DNS and make things much clear then using Self-Paced Training Kit.

DNS Windows Server 2003
    I also used this book for studying 291. I would recommend using it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by shon541 View Post
    I also used this book for studying 291. I would recommend using it.
    Im luckly when it comes to the DNS side of things as I work in a datacenter where I can mess with DNS and AD when I need too plus I can just ask people here about it. Im not looking forward to this exam though. It will be a great weight off my shoulders when this one is completed in a few months time.

Again thanks for all the replies.
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks