+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: books

  1. Senior Member knownhero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    433

    Certifications
    MCSE: SharePoint 2013, Productivity
    #1

    Default books

    Hi Guys,

    I passed the 290 on the 10th now looking into geeting a book for the 291. I have been looking at amazon and seen the MS press book for this exam, but the reviews for it are shockingly bad. Has anyone else got/used this book?

    This is the one I'm on about:

    MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit Exam 70-291 : Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Network ... Infrastructure, Sec Pro Certification: Amazon.co.uk: J.C. Mackin and Ian McLean: Books
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013

    Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. I eat bubbles Alif_Sadida_Ekin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    332
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by knownhero View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I passed the 290 on the 10th now looking into geeting a book for the 291. I have been looking at amazon and seen the MS press book for this exam, but the reviews for it are shockingly bad. Has anyone else got/used this book?

    This is the one I'm on about:

    MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit Exam 70-291 : Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Network ... Infrastructure, Sec Pro Certification: Amazon.co.uk: J.C. Mackin and Ian McLean: Books


    It seems that alot of the negative reviews are for the 70-284 book. This was the only book I used for my studies. It was more than enough information and it seemed to cover everything very well. The only thing it lacked was information covering WSUS 3.0. It covers a little general WSUS, but you need to know 3.0 specifics. This isn't a bad thing though. Just install 3.0 and mess around with it. It isn't difficult. If you've done 70-290 then you already know everything about the theory and how WSUS works.
    MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

    BS, Information Technology
    Reply With Quote Quote  


  4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,859
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Alif_Sadida_Ekin View Post
    It seems that alot of the negative reviews are for the 70-284 book. This was the only book I used for my studies. It was more than enough information and it seemed to cover everything very well. The only thing it lacked was information covering WSUS 3.0. It covers a little general WSUS, but you need to know 3.0 specifics. This isn't a bad thing though. Just install 3.0 and mess around with it. It isn't difficult. If you've done 70-290 then you already know everything about the theory and how WSUS works.
    Totally off topic, but I just "got" your forum name.

    MS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Nidhoggr, the Net Serpent Claymoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,622

    Certifications
    AWS Architect, MCSEx3, MCITPx6, MCTSx17
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by eMeS View Post
    Totally off topic, but I just "got" your forum name.

    MS
    Didn't realize there was anything to 'get' until you mentioned it. Quite a feet to uncover it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. ROFL-Copter pilot snadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,235

    Certifications
    JNCIP-SEC, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIA-JunOS, CCNA, CCENT, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, MCP, Network+, Security+
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by eMeS View Post
    Totally off topic, but I just "got" your forum name.

    MS

    wow, that makes two of us!

    congrats on the pass OP; and the MS Press book is definitely a good choice for your primary book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member knownhero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    433

    Certifications
    MCSE: SharePoint 2013, Productivity
    #6
    Thanks for your imput on this. Ive went a head and ordered the book should be down in the next few days. Then I can start setting out study time for this one. Once I got this I can finally get my MCSA then start the Exchange part of it.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013

    Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

    Reply With Quote Quote  


  8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,859
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymoore View Post
    Didn't realize there was anything to 'get' until you mentioned it. Quite a feet to uncover it.
    Nice one.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. I eat bubbles Alif_Sadida_Ekin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    332
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by eMeS View Post
    Totally off topic, but I just "got" your forum name.

    MS


    LOL! And this is exactly what separates all of you guys from the "normal crowd". I knew that if someone were to "get" my screen name without me having to explain it, it would be someone from here. I use this (or some other variation) as my name when I'm playing games like counter-strike or COD4, and most people just think i'm some guy from the middle east or something...
    MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

    BS, Information Technology
    Reply With Quote Quote  


  10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,859
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Alif_Sadida_Ekin View Post
    LOL! And this is exactly what separates all of you guys from the "normal crowd". I knew that if someone were to "get" my screen name without me having to explain it, it would be someone from here. I use this (or some other variation) as my name when I'm playing games like counter-strike or COD4, and most people just think i'm some guy from the middle east or something...
    Funny thing is, I wonder how many people are thinking WTF?

    MS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member djhss68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    204

    Certifications
    MCP, A+, Network+
    #10
    I got it.

    I'll take chocolate chip please.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Alif_Sadida_Ekin View Post
    and most people just think i'm some guy from the middle east or something...
    Guilty
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    9

    Certifications
    A+, Network +, Security +, MCP, MCSA
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by knownhero View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I passed the 290 on the 10th now looking into geeting a book for the 291. I have been looking at amazon and seen the MS press book for this exam, but the reviews for it are shockingly bad. Has anyone else got/used this book?

    This is the one I'm on about:

    MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit Exam 70-291 : Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Network ... Infrastructure, Sec Pro Certification: Amazon.co.uk: J.C. Mackin and Ian McLean: Books
    I am currently using this book. It was provided to me from my instructor. There are books out there that can simplify the topics better. But in my honest opinion this book is nothing but straight forward factual content. If you have really good study habits then this book is for you. But if your looking for simplicity and more friendly material that makes studying interesting then this isn't for you. Just my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Cisco Moderator mikej412's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,190

    Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Alif_Sadida_Ekin View Post
    or something...
    dyslexic geek/nerd with an athletic shoe fetish?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London England
    Posts
    8

    Certifications
    70-210, 215,70-290 WIP 70-291
    #14
    Studying 291 I found this book a big help a deeper knowledge on DNS and make things much clear then using Self-Paced Training Kit.

    DNS Windows Server 2003
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    137

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, MCSA, MCTS (620/642/680), MCDST, MCITP: EDST7
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishoil View Post
    Studying 291 I found this book a big help a deeper knowledge on DNS and make things much clear then using Self-Paced Training Kit.

    DNS Windows Server 2003
    I also used this book for studying 291. I would recommend using it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member knownhero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    433

    Certifications
    MCSE: SharePoint 2013, Productivity
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by shon541 View Post
    I also used this book for studying 291. I would recommend using it.
    Im luckly when it comes to the DNS side of things as I work in a datacenter where I can mess with DNS and AD when I need too plus I can just ask people here about it. Im not looking forward to this exam though. It will be a great weight off my shoulders when this one is completed in a few months time.

    Again thanks for all the replies.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013

    Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks