+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics

Default Delegation or Stubzone

Which is better to use and why? They seem to do the same thing, except that a stub zone can automatically configure itself while a delegation needs to be maunally configured. Is that all?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    This'll be a good read >> How DNS Works: Domain Name System(DNS)
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MS:ISA, BSIT:Network Administration, CMNA, CCNA, CCDA, A+, NET+, SEC+, Project+, MCTS(70-680), MCSE 2003, MCSA 2008
    Well in terms of passing the test it is all about keywords. If they mention minimum administrative effort I would say stub zone if they mention limit zone transfer traffic I would say delegation.... Now with that said.... I had Q's that mentioned both of these key words and by saying that i am probably flirting with violation of the NDA but I am not sure I got those questions right so read up and get familar with all the possibilities.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    This is how I am understanding it:

Stub-zones are dynamically updated and do not require permission from the other zone to query the appropriate records. Stub-zone traffic is much smaller since it only pulls SOA, NS, and A records for the name servers of the target zone.

Delegation zones are not dynamically updated and require permission from the parent/root zone in order to query the necessary records. Delegations are created from the parent/root zone. So if I own techexams.net and I want to delegate mcse.techexams.net to you which is a child domain that you created, I create a delegation to mcse.techexams.net and point it to your name servers. Also, I dont think delegation zones cannot be AD integrated which sucks because AD replication is most awesome.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    This is how I am understanding it:

Stub-zones are dynamically updated and do not require permission from the other zone to query the appropriate records. Stub-zone traffic is much smaller since it only pulls SOA, NS, and A records for the name servers of the target zone.

Delegation zones are not dynamically updated and require permission from the parent/root zone in order to query the necessary records. Delegations are created from the parent/root zone. So if I own techexams.net and I want to delegate mcse.techexams.net to you which is a child domain that you created, I create a delegation to mcse.techexams.net and point it to your name servers. Also, I dont think delegation zones cannot be AD integrated which sucks because AD replication is most awesome.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    This sounds about the same as what I have learned. I'm just wondering why you would ever opt for delegation over a stub zone. The only real negative I see with a stub zone is that there are still zone transfers, but the transfers are extremely small.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    As suggested to me by Robert Kaucher, I highly suggest you buy this book. I think it is a must for any Windows sysadmin that works with DNS.

DNS on Windows Server 2003, Third Edition - O'Reilly Media
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    dynamik to the rescue

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks