+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DHCP options

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics

Default DHCP options

So I just had a practice question that was emailed to me asking what number option would be used to configure static routes.

A. 249
    B. 003
    C. 035
    D. 015

I guessed A, knowing that 003 was for configuring a gateway and that 015 was for DNS.

I'm just wondering if I should expect to actually get a question like this on the real test. I know that it is important to know what options are available, but it seems silly to memorize all of these options and the number that they correspond to. If I should start memorizing numbers, should I work through all of them, or is there only 5 or so that I'll likely need?

If you're curious, 249 is the option for configuring a static routes, and 035 is for the ARP cache timeout. So by the process of elimination I narrowed it down to a 50-50 and got a lucky guess. A good strategy for when you are taking the actual test, if you haven't been doing it already.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Virtually Certifiable tbgree00's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, ITIL, MCSE, MCSA 03/12,MCITP:EA, EST, EDA7, EA, CCENT
    I haven't taken this test yet but I don't know if I've ever had a MS question which was quite that straightforward or specific. James Conrad mentioned a handful in the DHCP section of the CBT Nuggets so I'm really only focusing on those. Maybe that is shooting myself in the foot but I don't know if memorizing a huge number of DHCP options by number is worth my time compared to knowing other, broader topics.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Quote Originally Posted by tbgree00 View Post
    Maybe that is shooting myself in the foot but I don't know if memorizing a huge number of DHCP options by number is worth my time compared to knowing other, broader topics.
    I was thinking the same thing, and then I found this question.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks