+ Reply to Thread
  1. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status

Default PTR records werent being updated

Discovered something today that I wanted to share. I tried to do an nslookup on several boxes and noticed that some of them were retrieving records and some werent. I checked dns and sure enough, not all ptr records were there for dynamically created A records. Turns out that I had to update the dns credentials that were on the dhcp server. I think the admin before me created a special account that was used for dns updates but the account no longer exists. After I gave it to correct credentials, ptr records started showing up for clients that renewed their leases. Just an fyi.

Configure DNS dynamic update credentials: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MCITP:EDA7, EDST7, MCSA 2003, MCSA Windows 7 NetApp NCDA-7 Mode VCP5-DCV, VCP6-DCV ITILv3-Foundation, ITILv3-Intermediate-OSA, AWS CSA
    Well found!
    It's amazing what you learn about DNS studying for the 291
    I have redesigned and rebuilt our DNS namespace strategy since doing and whilst studying for the 291.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Another thing to look out for would be an account with an expiring password. That can tear down a network rather quickly as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    Another thing to look out for would be an account with an expiring password. That can tear down a network rather quickly as well.
    All of my service accounts have a non-expiring, 12 character password.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks