+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: 291 without 290

1. Senior Member

Default 291 without 290

Just curious if anyone has or heard of anyone doing an MCP on 291 instead of 290 for their first WinSer 2k3 exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Just curious if anyone has or heard of anyone doing an MCP on 291 instead of 290 for their first WinSer 2k3 exam.
    For which certification? MCSA and MCSE requre both of them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    For which certification? MCSA and MCSE requre both of them.
    You again? lol

Just for a MCP. Not a MCSA/E. I mean if someone just wanted a windows cert and did 290 so they could put MS on their resume.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Virtually Certifiable tbgree00's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, ITIL, MCSE, MCSA 03/12,MCITP:EA, EST, EDA7, EA, CCENT
    I think people generally work up on test numbers. I don't think there would be any problem doing the 291 before the 290 but I don't really see any advantage to it either. I don't remember a ton of overlap between them but it all runs together for me now.

Edit: If you're just doing it for the MCP I would probably do 290. Most of the RRAS stuff on the 291 probably wouldn't be used in production but most of the stuff on the 290 seems useful and common in the environments I've seen.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Well there is a lot of DNS and networking stuff that I think would be useful to me, especially with up coming task of cleaning up DNS and such. I am just curious.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCSE: Security, VCP (v4 and v5), GPEN, MCSA, CCNA
    I did the 291 before the 290 so I could take advantage of the second shot. The subject material is more difficult and the content is different from the 290. For sake of the MCP, I doubt they would care which test you took unless you want to show that you understand a certain type of technology.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    2nd shot for students has been extended so if I need that, I can use it. But I am not so concerned with "someone" caring about my MCP, I am more concerned about me caring about it lol. My current job doesn't care to much about certs and I don't think I am looking for a new gig in the next 6-8 months so this would be for me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE (old), SSCP, CCA, Sec+, P+, L+, and N+
    With your CCNA and Net+ you have a good foundation to start with the 291 exam although the idea of using a Windows server was a router will probably blow your mind.
    Andy

2017 Goals: 1 of 5 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs1976 View Post
    With your CCNA and Net+ you have a good foundation to start with the 291 exam although the idea of using a Windows server was a router will probably blow your mind.
    Lol, i've looked over RRAS briefly but I still don't understand why it would ever be used.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    If all you are after is MCP, why not do the 70-271 or 70-272. As far as MCP tests go I have heard that those would be the easiest.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    If all you are after is MCP, why not do the 70-271 or 70-272. As far as MCP tests go I have heard that those would be the easiest.
    Because I don't want something easy, I'd like the challenge.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    He's probably looking to gain a little knowledge about things he'll be doing at work. RRAS may not be one of those things but the rest of what the 291 cover he seems to need to know.
    Edit: the 291 will be a challenge.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    He's probably looking to gain a little knowledge about things he'll be doing at work. RRAS may not be one of those things but the rest of what the 291 cover he seems to need to know.
    Edit: the 291 will be a challenge.
    You hit it right on the head. Is 291 really that bad?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE (old), SSCP, CCA, Sec+, P+, L+, and N+
    Its nickname was (might still be) the beast. It inherited it from the 216 exam which is the windows 2000 version.
    Andy

2017 Goals: 1 of 5 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Is 291 really that bad?
    No.

If you are looking for knowledge of server, the 291 will give you more of what you want. The 290 is going to be a lot of performance scanning and an overview of server. The 291 is going to get DNS and DHCP. If I had to pick the most important topic involved with server, I would have to say it is DNS. Its a little complex so there are a lot of people that don't understand it (which makes those that do in demand) and it is essential for a network.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    No.

If you are looking for knowledge of server, the 291 will give you more of what you want. The 290 is going to be a lot of performance scanning and an overview of server. The 291 is going to get DNS and DHCP. If I had to pick the most important topic involved with server, I would have to say it is DNS. Its a little complex so there are a lot of people that don't understand it (which makes those that do in demand) and it is essential for a network.

I think you understand exactly where I am coming from. I just got the Ok from the boss so I will be doing that after S+, maybe during or after LPIC-1.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. n00b

Certifications
    MCSA (2003), MCTS (Vista Config), A+, Network+, Security+, CCNA
    I did 291 before 290. I personally thought 291 was easier, but I enjoy networking topics. When I took 290, the questions on disk management kicked my butt.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member
    I started reading for both a while ago and I thought the 291 was going to be easier. That's when I thought I was going to go for the MCSA. I really shouldn't but I might end up doing it. I told my wife not to let me go any further than a MCP because if I go for the MCSA I will probably end up going for the MCSE and MCITP:EA which would take up my whole year next year and I need to do my CCNP lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I told my wife not to let me go any further than a MCP because if I go for the MCSA I will probably end up going for the MCSE and MCITP:EA which would take up my whole year next year and I need to do my CCNP lol.
    I started with the intention of just getting the MCSA. Since I have decided I want that E. I don't expect to go for MCITP, at least not yet. I'll need some time off and I just don't feel a huge rush to get into MCITP. It won't be going anywhere for awhile, and a lot of companies aren't using it yet. MCSE should give you all the skills you need. Another factor in my decision, is that I want to get some other stuff in.

As for taking up a year, maybe. I started studying heavily for the 270 (my first step in the series) in late March or early April. I completed the MCSA in early July. (So about 4 months or so).

Right now I'm taking a short break to get Security+ in, but then I will start back in on the MCSE. 3 more tests to go, so I would figure another 3-4 months.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member neathneathneath's Avatar

Certifications
    MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:SA, MCTS 70-643, MCTS 70-680.
    The 291 is certainly a "challenge" if that's what you are after.

I found the 290 easier and had topics I could relate to.

Best of luck, It took me months to get my head around the 291 topics.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I agree that 290 was easier. But the 291 was far more interesting.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member
    From what I can tell, 291 would give me more AD knowledge as well.

Edit: I take this back. I think I was thinking of 293 or something. This test is pure networking.
    Last edited by Bl8ckr0uter; 07-23-2010 at 04:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    From what I can tell, 291 would give me more AD knowledge as well.
    Not really. Very little AD in either exam. 294 is for AD.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member
    Not really. Very little AD in either exam. 294 is for AD.
    I've got material for 290, 291, 293, 294, 270, and 297 so I might just read it all.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I've got material for 290, 291, 293, 294, 270, and 297 so I might just read it all.
    If you're going to read it all, why not take all of the tests as well and get the MCSE?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks