+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    CISSP, MCITP:EA, Security+, VCA-DCV

Default Malachi is going to slay the beast

Hey guys, I am about to begin studying for 70-291 again. I decided to take a break because I was just so sick of looking at a book every night. After taking a little more than a month off and catching up with video games/movies I'm ready to start in on the beast. I have a pretty wide array of resources that I am going to be studying. I completed probably 1/3 of the book but I am going to be reading through it again because I probably need a refresher.

These are the resources that I am going to be using to study for the exam:

Cricket Liu's DNS Book
    MS Press Book
    TestOut Videos
    70-291 Resources from TechExams
    MeasureUp or Transcender

I had a couple of questions for you guys. First, how many of you actually read through Cricket Liu's DNS book and does it fill in a lot of gaps on DNS? Would you recommend reading this book before or after covering DNS in the MS Press book? How did you like either MeasureUp or Transcender for this exam? I have used Transcender for previous exams and liked the software. Did you guys read straight through the MSPress book? The reason I ask is some of the sections are lengthy especially DNS so I wanted to know if you skipped that for last or anything.

I would like to dedicate around 3 hours a day to studying with one of those hours being at work. I have quite a bit of downtime at work and have the opportunity to study but most times I usually get distracted with something on the internet. How long do you guys think I would need to prepare for this exam? I would really like to do about a months worth of study and then give it a shot. I think my biggest problem with studying for exams is I don't manage my time well. I usually get distracted while I am studying then I have to read something over and over again. Overall, I'm going to try and chronicle my studies over the course of the next month also for other candidates. Unfortunately, I don't work with these technologies everyday so I might not be able to talk about them in application as well as some other people may be able to.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    I thought that the MSpress did a pretty good job of going into DNS. CBT nuggets filled in any gaps if there were any, and I'm sure testout will do the same.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I haven't been very great about updating as I said I would but at least I am studying! I scheduled my exam for the 13th with the 2nd shot. Hopefully, I won't need the Second Shot though. So far I have gotten through subnetting which I am pretty sure I have a good grasp on. I'll probably go through Jeremy Cioara's videos just to make sure I have it 100%. The CBTs for 291 are incredible so far and I am learning a lot from them. They were especially helpful to watch the DNS ones before I did the reading in the MSPress book. In addition to those two resources, the DNS handbook listed in the resources thread is pretty great too. I still haven't gotten through RRAS but I did read through it previously when I was studying for this a month or so ago. So hopefully that section is just a refresher.

Edited: I just noticed that I had TestOut listed but based on the responses I've heard from the CBTs I decided to opt for those instead.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Tomorrow is the day. Honestly, I have to say that I am not really ready for the test. I am still going on with the test tomorrow and I will see what happens. Luckily, if things don't go well tomorrow I have the second shot so I can get a preview of what areas I need to brush up on if anything else. I'll report back in tomorrow evening after work with the results. Hopefully I come back with a pass!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Hope you do well mate, we want to see the Passed post from you next.
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Good luck tomorrow!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Well gentlemen, it was a tough test.. I am able to report back to you guys with positive results though! I barely scraped by with a 764. I'll take it though, next up is the 680 to finish up my MCSA and chances are I am going to start CISSP studies. My work is going to be paying for a boot camp for the guys at my job without their CISSP so I want to get ahead of the game and then go to the boot camp and test afterwards. It is almost scary how many certs they want me to get.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Congrats man! Always great to hear good news.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    Congrats man! Always great to hear good news.
    Thanks! I was honestly surprised to see a pass, by question 20 I was getting nervous that I wasn't going to pass.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I feel that way almost every test.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    I feel that way almost every test.
    The Sec+ was about the only test I felt pretty good about. I see that you're about to do the 643. Let me know how that one goes, it is in my near future.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    Congrats on pass!!
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks