+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    17
    #1

    Default Okay... how bad is this exam?

    Okay, so now that I passed 70-270 (my first cert exam), I'm wondering how bad 70-291 is... I wouldnt say 270 was easy... but it wasnt hard either... I was prepared and I got what I expected... There doesnt seem to be much in the way of extra study materials though... Is that because theres not much material on this exam?

    Thanks!
    -Nouveaux
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member rono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    115

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCP XP PRO, MCSA 2003, CCENT(expired 2014)
    #2
    This is Very BAD!!

    I failed first try with 459!after 2 months study.

    DNS,is the beast in this test.IF you're studying DNS and get at a point when you can say:"Now,I'm know DNS 100%!",think that in reality,taking the test you're 50% ready.

    And then don't forget DHCP,RRAS,Security (IPSec,Kerberos,templates).

    The questions on test are long...very long so sleep well before taking this test.

    270 is a piece of cake!
    Mess with the best,Die like the rest!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    86

    Certifications
    MCDST Almost_MCSA_2003, Master Electrician, Certified Electrical Contractor
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by rono
    This is Very BAD!!

    I failed first try with 459!after 2 months study.

    DNS,is the beast in this test.IF you're studying DNS and get at a point when you can say:"Now,I'm know DNS 100%!",think that in reality,taking the test you're 50% ready.

    And then don't forget DHCP,RRAS,Security (IPSec,Kerberos,templates).

    The questions on test are long...very long so sleep well before taking this test.

    270 is a piece of cake!
    I have to agree with you 100%... Believe me you do not need to go to the pub with your pals the night before drinking beers and doing shots.... "OK, I'll have JUST one more beer..." one guy was doing shots of yeager so I was asked if I wanted one, I said no (being proud of my self restraint)... when asked again I replied "Are you buying?"... well it's all over from there. The wife was paying for my taxi in the driveway after midnight.

    Ahhhh... it was fun though. But I'll NEVER do that again.

    Cheers!

    Jerz

    <<Note to self: Party ONLY after passing the test>>
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    14
    #4

    Default 291 is not easy

    I got my lowest score with 291.

    DNS is a big part. RRAS can be very tricky..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    86

    Certifications
    MCDST Almost_MCSA_2003, Master Electrician, Certified Electrical Contractor
    #5
    Cool... you guys are making me feel good about my score of 590.
    I'll get it next time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,939

    Certifications
    yes
    #6

    Default Re: Okay... how bad is this exam?

    Quote Originally Posted by nouveaux21
    Okay, so now that I passed 70-270 (my first cert exam), I'm wondering how bad 70-291 is... I wouldnt say 270 was easy... but it wasnt hard either... I was prepared and I got what I expected... There doesnt seem to be much in the way of extra study materials though... Is that because theres not much material on this exam?

    Thanks!
    -Nouveaux
    I agree with you that 270 wasn't exactly easy but it wasn't hard either. 290 was a litte bit more difficult for me b/c I don't use it EVERYDAY like XP. It was very close to the style of XP (a quiz about the OS). 291 I have begun studying & plan on taking sometime before May31st but honestly it doesn't look horrible. I think DNS is the key. Have you passed 290?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    17
    #7
    nope... 70-270 was my first... I figure that since 291 seems to be the hard one, I'll tackle it while my confidence is up... I bought (thru my company) a practice exam and a study guide (which turned out to be the Sybex BOOK) on 291 from TestPrince... My exam cram book seems useless in this case unfortunately... Lots of how to do it and not much explanation... I keep falling alseep! The Sybex book was like a big light bulb though and hopefully when I start taking the practice exams in both of my books plus the one I bought plus all the free ones I find online (plus a transcender test CD I got), hopefully I will be so well prepared that I'll be able to squeak by on this one... Sounds really rough (especially with a hangover... good thing im 4 hours away from my fraternity!)

    70-290 I think shall be my next target after I get the networking essentials down... If it is similar to the 70-270, the I'll probably be able to get by without too much stress...

    Advide, tips, sample questions, and key topics are very much appreciated! Thanks everyone!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    44
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by nouveaux21
    nope... 70-270 was my first... I figure that since 291 seems to be the hard one, I'll tackle it while my confidence is up...
    you should take 70-290 first. Some material in there would help you better understand 70-291. For example you need at least some idea how to create user account.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    17
    #9
    Create a user account? In Active Directory? No problem! I work for a company and just inherited the IT admin job, so I play with AD on a daily basis... It's a very powerful tool, but such a boring read though!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    134

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP Track (BSCI), MCSE 2003, MCSA:Messaging 2003, A+, Network+
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by nouveaux21
    Create a user account? In Active Directory? No problem! I work for a company and just inherited the IT admin job, so I play with AD on a daily basis... It's a very powerful tool, but such a boring read though!

    70-291 is much more than Active Directory. It mainly focuses on services such as DNS, DHCP, RRAS, WINS, etc, and TCP/IP networking (routing, subnetting). I don't even really remember having an AD question on this exam, but I could be wrong.

    I would suggest you take 70-290 first. Your Active Directory managment skills will be of more use there. Also, I saw 290 as the Server 2003 version of 270. It was somewhat similar in many respects, except substitute AD for Local User / Policy management. Then once you've passed 70-290 you can build upon what you've learned and take 70-291.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks