+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Voice, Security
    Sounds like you need to lab more, do some research and get an imagine of exchange or something and spin a Virtual Machine of it up in VirtualBox (free).

You need to put the blood sweat and tears into labbing, reading accounts for like 20% of the learning, the other 80% is getting it to work in a lab environment.

VCP 5 (VMWare), the questions were like 2 paragraphs long and the answers were each 2 questions long, and on a multiple choice THAT is a pain in the ass
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA Sec, A+, Net+, JNCIA, Sec+
    Despite the fact that I passed this exam just over a week ago, I will agree. For an entry level exam, it's degree of difficulty far outweighs it's return on investment. I've yet to encounter any employer that would take a Network Plus seriously.

In terms of entry level knowledge however, it is much better than the CCENT. Unless you intend on following Cisco's track, the Network Plus is a much better introduction to the field of Networking as a whole.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    "I eat SubNets like You for breakfast..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyliinez92 View Post
    I did the 005 but I can't imagine it being that much different from the 006.
    And there you have.
    Maybe it's not more difficult.... or Maybe it is.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatTG View Post
    Despite the fact that I passed this exam just over a week ago, I will agree. For an entry level exam, it's degree of difficulty far outweighs it's return on investment...
    In terms of entry level knowledge however, it is much better than the CCENT. Unless you intend on following Cisco's track, the Network Plus is a much better introduction to the field of Networking as a whole.
    ^100% agreement.
    I did the N10-005 and the last version of CCNA.

In terms of the overall curriculum... i found the Net+ to be quite worthwhile.
    (i wish that i had known about the cert a decade earlier).

I recommend the Net+ curriculum to anyone (new) who's trying to break into Networking.
    (whether or Not the EXAM is worthwhile.... is a different conversation)

Other people here have already said it best:
    Net+ is a Mile wide, but only a few inches deep.

The ccna is only a few inches wide, but a mile deep...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by ande0255 View Post
    Sounds like you need to lab more, do some research and get an imagine of exchange or something and spin a Virtual Machine of it up in VirtualBox (free).

You need to put the blood sweat and tears into labbing, reading accounts for like 20% of the learning, the other 80% is getting it to work in a lab environment.

VCP 5 (VMWare), the questions were like 2 paragraphs long and the answers were each 2 questions long, and on a multiple choice THAT is a pain in the ass
    I have to agree with this.

I'm a newbie who was running around in circles trying to learn VLANs but after playing around with them on Packet Tracer (while watching the labs on YouTube) I was able to finally understand them .
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Voice, Security
    Oh gosh, I typed imagine, my brain is slowly frying like an egg

And it is absolutely amazing how almost any topic is covered in full detail on there if you ever want a resource for just a particular topic. I never knew but I use it for work as well for troubleshooting or setting up systems I'm unfamiliar with (more as a guide than what I configure).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member Registered Member
    I took the N10-006 today and failed with a score of 700. I gave it everything I had. This is my first failure ever in my life for a big exam. I studied very hard, bought and read Mike Meyers Network + book, watched Professor Messer videos, used the CertMaster bundled with the delux package, used exam compass, did flash cards, and still did not pass. This exam is way too difficult for a basic certification. I got 77%! How is that failing? In any class that’s a C+ which is passing. I got my A+ on the first attempt. CompTIA really needs to lower the difficulty on the network + or lower the passing score. There are so many questions with several sentences and choice answers that are extremely detailed! 90 minutes is not enough time to do this! This is not for beginners at all! I feel scarred and winded from failing having put so much energy and devotion into this exam. I have an extra retake, but honestly I’m not sure I’d pass even if I studied more. The exam is just too hard.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Network+, A+, CCENT
    the test is no joke but quiting is never an option
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopbrothers View Post
    I took the N10-006 today and failed with a score of 700. I gave it everything I had. This is my first failure ever in my life for a big exam. I studied very hard, bought and read Mike Meyers Network + book, watched Professor Messer videos, used the CertMaster bundled with the delux package, used exam compass, did flash cards, and still did not pass. This exam is way too difficult for a basic certification. I got 77%! How is that failing? In any class that’s a C+ which is passing. I got my A+ on the first attempt. CompTIA really needs to lower the difficulty on the network + or lower the passing score. There are so many questions with several sentences and choice answers that are extremely detailed! 90 minutes is not enough time to do this! This is not for beginners at all! I feel scarred and winded from failing having put so much energy and devotion into this exam. I have an extra retake, but honestly I’m not sure I’d pass even if I studied more. The exam is just too hard.
    I know there will be people who disagree with me on this. But it's not just MY opinion. I know many people (myself included) who have all the base CompTIA certs, and ...
    In terms of difficulty, the Network+ is the hardest. BY FAR.
    Second Hardest is A+902
    Third Hardest is A+901
    Easiest is Security+

Network+ is not really book-learning or video learning friendly. Much of the exam is practical in nature. Either you have the work experience to muddle through it...or you might never get past Network+ just by reading books and watching videos.
    A+ has become much more practical lately, too. (I have multiple A+ Certs, long story I won't get into here....)
    Network+ and A+ (the latest versions) are indeed "NO JOKE". The biggest surprise on the latest A+ is that I had to draw upon DOS skills that I learned way back in the ummmm....too long ago to remember the exact date. And when I say DOS skills, I mean just that....not "command line interface" skills. The command line has a small sub-set of DOS commands, as well as a few commands that did not exist in the DOS days. What hit me on the latest A+ round of testing was DOS. The most frustrating part of the latest A+ is that you have to be a laser printer engineer to pass it. Seriously, the level of knowledge they test on laser printers is way more than the average field service tech or systems admin or similar would accumulate in DECADES of work experience.

Is Network+ too hard? That's difficult to say. I passed it easily with a really high score. But I was surprised at how much it made me really THINK. There was little on the test that was related to simple memorization. Maybe 30% of what you need for Network+ could be learned from a book (or even a dozen books). If the test is aimed at entry level network techs, it might be over-reaching just a BIT. I'm pretty sure there are questions deliberately designed to trip you up, also. I found one question on Network+ for which the answer was (logically, and I confirmed this later) "NONE OF THE ABOVE". I was able to logically rule out all four choices given, with near 100% certainty...until I could "google it" later and confirm....there was no way to answer the question correctly. On a side note, there was a similar "error" (deliberate, I believe) on SYO-401. One of the questions required two choices to make a single "correct" response. But the test engine would only allow one selection. And if you answered ONE selection, the then answer was definitely WRONG. I was able to confirm that one by googling later, also.
    I don't remember such an error on the A+ exams this time around (901/902), but I did not get perfect scores, so maybe I missed the errors on those exams.

Security+ has a lot to do with management skills, and not necessarily IT management skills. Some think it is the hardest of the base exams, but it is the least technical. Yes, there is overlap between all three exams. But if you have any management experience at all, the you are probably 35% or so ready for Security+ before you even start studying for it.

MANY people I work with have commented that Security+ is easy...or at least it's EASY compared to the other exams that it (ironically) out-ranks. Having passed all three (four tests), I can confirm that. Security+ is a difficult exam. But not in relation to Network+ in particular. If you don't have significant professional network admin skills, Network+ will kick your butt, and it doesn't matter how much you study.

I found it interesting to read that there's some thought that Network+ might be too difficult. I would kinda sorta agree with that. A more obvious "foul" though is the laser printer stuff on the current A+. There's probably engineers at xerox and ricoh who would would have trouble answering the laser printer questions on A+. Questions are worded so that a printer is experiencing multiple issues with rather vague symptoms. Multiple steps required to fix (whatever) and several similar answers that all look logical enough... Grrrrrrrr.....

I've fixed many thousands of laser printer problems in my career. To be an efficient laser printer field tech (when necessary) I did NOT require even 10% of the laser printer knowledge that they expect you to know for A+ now.

Anyway, I didn't stop to think as I was testing Network+ that maybe this is too hard. But I DID note that it was really drawing heavily on my professional experience to work through many of the scenarios presented. I was CHALLENGED, which I really did not expect...

Could I have passed it a year or two into my IT career? Even with lots of book study? I doubt it...

So if someone rather new to IT is saying Network+ is too hard? They might have a valid point.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks