+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Junior Member Registered Member

Thumbs down Network+ Difficult

Took Network+ today after many weeks of studying. I failed. It's insanely difficult. The practice test on the Comptia site are deceptively simple and not even close to what the real exam is like. The practice test on the Comptia site will ask simple questions like, "what does SMTP do?" But on the real exam, every question will be over 6 sentences long, and the answers are not clear. It's almost like every question is designed to trip you up. With over 86 questions to answer, and each one trying to trip you up; yeah, it sux. There wasn't one simple question that asked something like, "What does port 25 do?"

I would say, only attempt to study for this exam if:

- You've worked in the field for a long time
    or
    - You have a serious passion for networking
    or
    - You're a genius

If you're planning on spending a considerable amount of time studying networking, just go for CCNA.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Sec+
    Don't be too upset. It's becoming known that the current N+ exam, N10-006 has become messed up and no longer the entry level cert it should be. People who have passed there CCNA's have failed the current N+. Here's the thread discussing it:
    Current status of Network+ Exam : Unbearably hard now with new update

It can be passed without having done any real networking, but you need to study hard and keep at it. Otherwise don't completely just drop it, if your not keen on trying again at least do a CCENT or CCNA instead. don't let all that networking knowledge go to waste.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member Registered Member
    Thanks Nik 99, that's a good idea. Maybe I'll look into CCENT. Are the questions more reasonable than Network+? The one's I'm seeing on the web seem really straight forward. That's what I thought Network+ would be like.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member
    That's rough. I'd recommend going the Cisco route as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CCDA, CCNA: Security, CCNA: R&S, MTA: Networking Fundamentals, Security+, Network+, Linux+, A+, Project+
    Network + is good for someone looking to get into networking or server engineering I would say. If you were to go the network route, you could honestly skip it and get most of the knowledge from the CCENT. CCNA > Network+ anyways in terms of value, but you came so far that you owe yourself a second attempt.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Six Sigma White Belt, CNA, MCSE (Win2K)
    I took a Net+ class last year (No I haven't taken the test) and the instructors say it was jacked up and unfair
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member Registered Member
    None of the resources provided prepare you for that test, I hear people talk about how easy the test is but then I notice those people actually took it back in 2007 or earlier. I think it's a weeding out process so that the industry doesn't get saturated and bring down the salary. I'm not a conspiracy theorist by the way.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. cdx

Certifications
    GSEC, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, MTA
    Skip the N+ go for CCENT then CCNA. Much better ROI.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    If your just going for a entry level Networking certification to add to your resume maybe you could try the CCENT like others mentioned. If you looking to increase your networking knowledge I'd probably find the areas I was weak in and try the Net+ again though. Especially since you probably aren't too far off.

Just a heads up too, Microsoft's exam have a lot of long worded questions as well so if your just skipping the Net+ for that reason you should stay away from the Microsoft ones as well. Not afraid to admit I've failed the Microsoft 70-410 exam multiple times.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Linux+, Cloud+, CASP, CCNA, JNCIA, VCP5.5-DCV, VCP6-DCV
    Please don't waste your time with the Network+. I studied very hard for this, passed it with a good score and was proud of it. However, I have never met a single person who was remotely impressed that I took this. It never opened doors for me. While working in desktop, I presented this to the network team and said "Hey would it help me get into your department that I have a Network+?" The resounding answer was "No" and/or "Come back and talk to us after you get you CCENT."

What I personally want is NetworkNewb's CCNA-Sec. I am 0/2 on that one and will give it another shot sometime after the CCNP. I take it as a personal insult that he has it. J/k but holding off on it for now because the main road of R&S is what's recognized in the field and universally respected by all IT disciplines.
    Last edited by dialectical; 04-06-2017 at 03:12 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCSA-Windows 10 | A+
    I recently took the Net+ and was very disappointed with the exam. The questions are worded in a way to try and trick you instead of actually testing your knowledge (IMO). I found myself very short on time as well. I still have one retake on this test, and I should be fairly prepared for it. However, I thought I was prepared the first time I took it. We will see!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by dialectical View Post
    What I personally want is NetworkNewb's CCNA-Sec. I am 0/2 on that one and will give it another shot sometime after the CCNP. I take it as a personal insult that he has it.
    I'd trade you the CCNA:Sec for the CASP and Linux+ all day.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member Registered Member
    I’m not sure what part of the US you live but where I live which is in South Florida there are a lot of good job offerings that require only A+ and Network +. I think everyone is bashing these Certs because it’s the in thing to do.

Reply With Quote Quote  

15. cdx

Certifications
    GSEC, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, MTA
    Maybe I should elaborate to help others understand why I stated CCENT/CCNA have better ROI.

1) The big named Comptia certs known to employers right now are Security+ and maybe A+.
    2) The big named Networking Certs known to employers right now are CCNA, not Network+.
    3) CCENT/CCNA teach you much more in depth networking for hands on knowledge then the Network+. When I finished my Net+ I still had a lot of gray areas in networking I did not understand until I began my CCENT studies.

Therefore, IMO, from my experience, research on certs(a lot), and work experience in the field, CCENT/CCNA will be much better ROI (Return on Investment noob!), will land you a job quicker, will give you hands on training working on cisco router CLI, and the test questions aren't nearly as confusing as the comptia certs.

Now that I got that off my chest, I am going to go cook and chain smoke cigs... Sanji out... (One Piece joke for non-anime nerds)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF
    - Or you find new study material.

Not saying what you did is wrong, but everyone learns differently and there are plenty more study materials out there for the CompTIA exams.

Check out below my personal study guide for the Net+ exam:

- Watch all of Professor Messers videos and make notes where I can - Professor Messer's CompTIA N10-006 Network+ Training Course | Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses
    - Thoroughly study the notes and go over each one.
    - Use the CompTIA Net+ objectives and mark each section as a checklist so I knew every point that could come up in the exam (this really helped): https://certification.comptia.org/do...objectives.pdf
    - Go over Darril Gibsons book if you can. I haven't used it myself but heard a lot of good reviews.
    - Use practice tests to test your knowledge (I recommend MeasureUp over ExamCompass but paid for):
    IT Certification Practice Tests and Exams | Online Courses | MeasureUp (Paid for but excellent)
    http://www.examcompass.com/comptia/network-plus-certification/free-network-plus-practice-tests (Free but not as detailed or structured)

Advice for the exam:
    - SKIP the simulation questions until last. They may pop up at the very start and catch you offguard. They take the most time to complete so leave them until later (there's usually only 2 or 3).
    - Go through all multiple choice questions and answer the ones you are 100% or near confident in. Don't spend too long on a single question. If you don't know one, flag it and come back later.
    - Stick with your first answer. Usually your gut instinct choice is right first time, and when I changed my mind I got it wrong.

You are timed so you need to progress quickly, but don't rush. Take your time and follow what I did and you are bound to pass.

@cdx How is he suppose to go straight for the CCENT/CCNA when he is struggling with the Net+? The Net+ is a stepping stone for a lot harder certs like Cisco, so it would be pointless going straight for it. Also Net+ is globally recognised so it will still land him a job.
    Currently working at: MCSA: Windows 10 (70-698, 70-697)
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSE: Mobility, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    By the way I'm really surprised at some of these comments I'm reading. Not just at skipping this exam but also advising to skip other vendors as it might be too difficult for them? There isn't much motivation in this forum...

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA Network+, MCP, MCTS: Windows 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyliinez92 View Post
    By the way I'm really surprised at some of these comments I'm reading. Not just at skipping this exam but also advising to skip other vendors as it might be too difficult for them? There isn't much motivation in this forum...
    I agree. Exams are not suppose to be easy and they're gonna get harder.

Skyliinez92 did you do the 006?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Member
    Well, for most of us, these exams aren't just a ropes course for self-challenge. Yes, they're for learning, but also to advance our careers. If the Net+ difficulty has increased beyond the difficulty of the CCNA (which I've read it has) and the CCNA is more valuable on a resume, then why would people continue to take the Net+? Especially at $300 per exam. Most of us have finite financial resources and we want to get the most for our money.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    Guessing you might be referring to my comment about skipping Microsoft exams as well as he Net+. I was being facetious... Just pointing out that other vendors are also hard and if you they are skipping this one they might not have much luck at other tests as well. Apologize if any confusion. I know my sarcastic attitude doesn't always travel over the internets very well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisseki View Post
    I agree. Exams are not suppose to be easy and they're gonna get harder.

Skyliinez92 did you do the 006?
    I did the 005 but I can't imagine it being that much different from the 006. I think I spent around a month solid of studying for it and got 805. It was still difficult but so is every other exam. A bit of hard work and you will get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkNewb View Post
    Guessing you might be referring to my comment about skipping Microsoft exams as well as he Net+. I was being facetious... Just pointing out that other vendors are also hard and if you they are skipping this one they might not have much luck at other tests as well. Apologize if any confusion. I know my sarcastic attitude doesn't always travel over the internets very well.
    I understand. It's all down to hard work I guess, and if you don't stick to one then you might skip others too. I was mainly pointing to the fact that some people were saying to skip Net+ and work at Cisco, which is much harder and didn't make any sense to me really .
    Last edited by Skyliinez92; 04-07-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by scenicroute View Post
    Well, for most of us, these exams aren't just a ropes course for self-challenge. Yes, they're for learning, but also to advance our careers. If the Net+ difficulty has increased beyond the difficulty of the CCNA (which I've read it has) and the CCNA is more valuable on a resume, then why would people continue to take the Net+? Especially at $300 per exam. Most of us have finite financial resources and we want to get the most for our money.
    From what I've heard the Cisco exams are more difficult like the CCNA, which is why it didn't make sense to me to go for the harder exam if you're struggling with the easier one. If Net+ really has gotten harder than the CCENT, then I would be surprised. But you can still go for both if you're aiming for a career in networking.

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Linux+ and CSA+; MCSA: Windows 7, ITIL Foundations
    Take my words with a grain of salt: the CompTIA exams are getting more detailed and difficult. A CompTIA representative told a gathering at my work that the Network+ has one of the highest failure rates of the CompTIA exams. They are looking into whether or not it is too difficult. I am sure they will evaluate the exam and come up with a better balance over time.

I have taught numerous individuals who attempted the ICDN1 training and struggled tremendously. And that was for the version two exam, not the current version three. Most of those students took my class (Network+ N10-006) and told me that it filled in several holes in the ICDN1 material for them. Now, our Cisco instructor was an award winning instructor and very successful with coaching his students to realize that they could be successful. So I am sure that the hole filling and aha moments weren't because I was a better instructor or that our material was way above average. I fully believe it has much to do with the objectives of the Network+ exam and how CompTIA expects it to be taught. Crawl-Walk-Run (Network+, CCENT, CCNA).

Just my two bits.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MTA Windows OS Fundamentals 98-349| ITIL Foundation| Apple Mac Integration 10.12
    One thing I have never been able to truely work out, is the CCENT a beginer cert? Is it less detailed than the N+? As someone who is still learning the fundamentals I am looking at longterm goals and the plan was to go A+ then N+ but not too sure what would be best.. I am more interested in gaining knowledge more than certification tbh. I like in the UK where experience speaks louder and Im alreadly in the industry.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. cdx

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T View Post
    One thing I have never been able to truely work out, is the CCENT a beginer cert? Is it less detailed than the N+? As someone who is still learning the fundamentals I am looking at longterm goals and the plan was to go A+ then N+ but not too sure what would be best.. I am more interested in gaining knowledge more than certification tbh. I like in the UK where experience speaks louder and Im alreadly in the industry.
    Yes CCENT is entry level. Anyone can learn it, teaches you the foundations of Networking (NET+ material) then dives into the Cisco networking.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. cdx

Certifications

@cdx How is he suppose to go straight for the CCENT/CCNA when he is struggling with the Net+? The Net+ is a stepping stone for a lot harder certs like Cisco, so it would be pointless going straight for it. Also Net+ is globally recognised so it will still land him a job.
    You are mistaken my friend, CCENT teaches you the foundations of Networking which overlaps the NET+ material. I've taken both. The CBTNugget CCENT videos are hands down amazing in teaching networking with Jeremy Ciora. Filled in a ton of gray areas for me that the Net+ never covered.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks