+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member Registered Member

Default Would it help to study Comptia Network+ and CCNA at the same time?

Hi,

First time poster here.

I've recently enrolled on a CCNA night class course, which runs for 2 years. I have no IT qualifications what so ever, I messed about a school and never returned to get qualified, kicking myself now.

Anyway, a little bit of background on me. I have worked with computers for roughly 25 years. I've pretty much done everything a tech would do in that time (build/repair/upgrades etc etc). I have also worked with networks for a while. I'm pretty familiar with routers, static ips, port forwarding, VPN's, switches, LAN's and WIFI extenders (that's just off the top of my head from what I can remember). I'm certainly no expert with networking, more heavily experienced in home settings (LAN's etc) than anything else.

I wanted to get the comptia network+, another qualification to help with getting a job in the IT sector. There is a course near me which also starts around the same time as the CCNA course, tho it only runs for 17 weeks. Would it be wise to sit network+ and CCNA at the same time?

I'm thinking it would benefit in familiarizing me with networking, the extra study time via a tutor would go a long way. Being self trained as such I feel (not properly trained) the extra night class would be a great deal of benefit, granted the course may end up going in different directions, the fundamentals are still the same. I really want to give myself the best possible shot at passing this CCNA course.

Do you think I would benefit taking both courses?

I appreciate the help.

Ps. I've recently started studying towards the Comptia a+ too.

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member Registered Member
    Absolutely, Take them both at the same time. The first book in the CCNA track with netacad is "Introduction to Networks". Its networking, they throw in a few things specific to Cisco such as configuring a Cisco switch, but it also covers subnetting, the 7 layers of the OSI model, and topologies which will be beneficial when taking the Network +

Good Luck
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member Registered Member
    That's great to hear.

I appreciate the reply.

Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+
    Take both classes. It cannot hurt. Good Luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks