+ Reply to Thread

Default Worth It for MCP?

So I've been in the industry for a couple of decades (almost) now, and with all my experience, the last few years I have decided it's time to certify, so I've been working through a whole list of Microsoft certifications (my primary experience). I was looking at N+ and wondering, if I'm doing Server 2016 MCSA, would Network+ benefit me? The new 2016 version covers subnetting, IPv4, IPv6, the OSI stuff and some other parts. Would Network+ be something that would help me as a Microsoft professional and/or consultant?

Thanks for your input. I do intend to take Security+, not sure if that would make a difference.
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation
    Client & Security:
    MCSE: Mobility | MCSA: Windows 10 | MCITP: Windows 7
    Server & Networking:
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Currently Studying: Project+
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF Win10 (70-698)
    There's a lot of crossover between the Net+ and Sec+, so doing it would benefit you for understanding and passing the Security aspect. If you decide to move onto Cisco in the future then having that knowledge will aid you in getting your CCNA/CCNP. Another thing to mention is that the Net+ covers all the basics in networking. For the 2016, you might just get enough network information for server related issues, but it won't cover the essentials for a sysadmin role like network patching, switch and router support, telephony etc.
    Certification goals: 70-740, 70-741, 70-742, 70-744, VCP6.5-DCV, 70-697

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCSA: WS 2012, WS 2016, Win10, O365; MCSE: Messaging, Productivity 2016, Cloud Platform and Infrastructure 2017
    I'd say Network+ would benefit you only as a prerequisite for eventual CCNA. Waste of money otherwise.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Thank you both. I'll add it just before my Security+.
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation
    Client & Security:
    MCSE: Mobility | MCSA: Windows 10 | MCITP: Windows 7
    Server & Networking:
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Currently Studying: Project+
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks