+ Reply to Thread
  1. Member

Default Full mesh topology

Many thanks for previous replies.
    I have a new problem, reference the number of total physical connections for a full mesh system.
    There is one formula total number of connections= n(n-1) where n= the number of devices.
    And total number of connections = n(n-1)/2.
    I think the correct one is n(n-1) ?
    Can any one please help, thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS

Certifications
    CCDP, CCNP, CCDA, CCNA, ITIL Foundation, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+
    In full mesh network, each device has a n-1 number of connections.
    And there is a total of n(n-1)/2 number of connections.

This is because the connections are bi-directional. So A-B, and B-A is the same connection. So dividing by 2 removes the duplicates.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA 2000, MCSE 2003, Exchange 2000, CCNA, CCNA Security, CNE, A+, Network+, Security+
    Well, the number of connections would be n(n-1), but the number of links would be n(n-1)/2. Each link has 2 connections.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCDP, CCNP, CCDA, CCNA, ITIL Foundation, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+
    Quote Originally Posted by Danman32
    Well, the number of connections would be n(n-1), but the number of links would be n(n-1)/2. Each link has 2 connections.
    I dont remember if 'link', and 'connection' were the terms, I have a feeling it might be the other way around..... but you are very right, I apologize, there is a huge distinction.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member
    Sorry to necro this, but any tips on recognizing which one is right? I got a practice exam connection that used the term 'connections' and had the n(n-1) formula. This is the ONLY place I had ever seen this formula, because honestly no one cares about that, what they care about is how many cables or a-b connections are needed.

So I don't know if the practice question was wrong, or if it was just referencing something very rare, and now I'm worried that a question on the actual exam is going to confuse me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks