+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Network+ Value

1. Senior Member

Certifications
    BSIS, MCSA 2003, CCNP, CCDP
    Without cheating - I highly doubt someone could pass one of the MCSE exams in one week after studying none-stop. I can possibly see 70-270 or 70-290 if the individual had years of expirence, but beyond that I don't buy that for a second.

Are there "paper" MCSE? Probably, but that still would amount to more than just memorizing statistics.

Have you even looked at the MCSA or MCSE tracks? Yes, you do have a lot of memorizing, but it's more than just numbers and figures that you are expected to regurgitate.

Cisco uses SIMs heavily which require hands-on expirence, and M$ has SIMs as well (I've heard) so more mid-to-high level certs require hands-on expirence - so you're right on the entry level certs (A+, N+) but even then thats a strech.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Security+,Network+,Project+

Default All talk no walk.

[quote="ally_uk"]Yeah but a number of exams such as

MCDST, N+,A+,LINUX + , MCSE

Can be pretty much passed after rembering statistics after a week or so's intense study

This coming from a person with NO Certification.

Why dont you give it a shot and then formulate an opinion.

MS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, EnCE, ISFCE CCE, MCSA Server 2003, 70-620, 70-640
    Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk
    Yeah but a number of exams such as

MCDST, N+,A+,LINUX + , MCSE

Can be pretty much passed after rembering statistics after a week or so's intense study

I want the kind of questions where you have to prove your knowledge by actually writing the anwser and being scored on the Appropriateness of your anwser
    If you can pass the MCSE with no working experience in a weeks time, my hats off to you.

I've used Windows XP since beta and have helped administer a network of 40 clients running XP for the past year and a half. I can guarentee you there was no way I would have been able to pass the 70-270 with a single week of study.

The only way I could see someone being able to do it was if they were working for a large corporation that used every single module built within XP, or if they had extensive knowledge or certification in Windows 2000 Professional.

I can see the point you are trying to make, but until you actually pass the tests I wouldn't be telling people the appropriate amount of study required for the above certifications.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA2k, Security+
    I agree with the above posts, most certifications take much more than just remembering statistics to pass, when i first started on the MCSA trak with 70-210 i was damm supprised the amount of things i dident know and the things i had to learn by setting my own lab up to do (and trying at work) and i've been working with the products for 3 years.

overall gaining certs has helped me in many ways one of the main ones is that i have learn't alot more than i would have by just using things at work as there is always something that you dont know about with an OS or routers etc.

gaining certs + hands on experiance is the best way to go.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. House of Elrond Member manny355's Avatar

Certifications
    a few
    I totally agree, I've taken the MCSA/MCSE track of classes at my local college and that's like 9-10 months worth of instructor led classes...and we actually got into the the computer and complete the tasks that you might see in a production environment...and even with all the hands on...I still would be hard pressed to pass the MCSE without a few more months of studying...i'm not saying that it's impossible but you'd have to be a "Doogie Howser" in order to accomplish that task.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member

Certifications
    nadda
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg5646
    sometimes it's more about showing you CAN accomplish things than the actual accomplishment it's self. He probably hired me because I demonstrated the ability to obtain goals I set for myself. It also proves that you have certain knowledge.
    You are correct. The same applies to a degree; it is not only good for allowing people to see that you have an education in a specific area, it also shows an employer that you are willing to learn. I have learned 100x more outside of school than i ever did sitting in class.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member

Certifications
    nadda
    Quote Originally Posted by ra13
    Well I just started my second job in the It Industry making over 55k now and have been in the field about 3 years now. I got my first job right out of college (associates degree) and started with no real experience and no certs. I got my A+ about a year and a half ago and just left with a salary of 47k with just my A+ so. My current job that i'm at now was asking for A+ and Network+ or relative experience. So I think that the certs are def a great way to get your foot in the door but i also feel that experience is plays a big role. But to make the big $$$ certs are def the way to go with along with your experience. Good Luck
    Congrats bro..your post gives me hope.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    nadda
    Quote Originally Posted by furby
    How many hours a week do you work for that salary because we my girlfriend and i only earn around 20 thousand together so thats not much.
    but the job demands here are much higher.
    Because employers are asking mcse/mcsa network experience ccna, .net, citrix, itil, linux, novell for only a call center job.
    MCSE/MCSA for call center job? wtf?

Either you read it wrong or you seriously need to relocate. That is absurd. I can make $20k mowing lawns man.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks