+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Alligator wrestler Moderator Plantwiz's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, iNET+, MCP, CST, CNST, CIW
    Quote Originally Posted by mgmguy1
    ...snip...
    I get frustrated by the fact that these materials as they relate to Unix,Linux,Mac OS server do not go into alot a detail on connectivity scenarios and troubleshooting scenarios. This is material I want to learn not just memorize them.
    Since you've identified WHAT you are looking for, why not obtain those materials? If you truly want to learn it then set it up in your lab and work it. Get books or websites that are geared toward those areas...I can think of several books on those topics that go into GREAT DEPTH. The point you are missing is that the NET+ isn't going get in depth on those areas because it is a vendor neutral exam...vendor specific exams will require you understand the material much more throughly.

As far as my time wasted comment:
    We all have to manage our time once we get out of work or whatever our life commiment is?
    I want two be able to know that my Network Plus Book covers "everything" I need to pass.
    No book covers 'everything'. Not even in college will a text cover 'everything' It is the student's responsibility to research further in areas where they have questions or interests...not up to one publisher. The objectives tell you what you need to know to pass....not the book. The books breakdown the material in an effort to assist the candidate in their review.

I do not mind research as long as I am not spending "hours" trying to find the information I need when I could have been useing that time to re-cover the the Network Plus Material that is well documented. $203 bucks is alot of money for a Voucher.
    Well, well, well there is the problem! Research is something that takes time. Once in a while you may get lucky and uncover an answer quickly, but only an answer...nothing real indepth. So basically, study and research is ok for you so long as it doesn't interfer with 'life'? Heck I and everyone else would like that too! Just not how things work. Poll the members here, I'll bet (if I were someone who bet ) you'll see anyone who has had a long career in IT and anyone of the newer folks in IT who are making a name for themselves spend hours above and beyond their 'work-day' learning new technologies. Same applies to these entry-level certs...if it's too much work now...what happens when you convince someone you should run their network? If the server crashes and the backup fails and accounting needs their files and sales need their files to quote customers....you cannot go home. You'll need to know how to handle this and if you cannot, you will need to know how to research it quickly....or call for outside help. If you call for outside help too often...you won't have a job.

Frankly if you are concerned about investing in your career a mere $200 dollars...don't take the exam. It's your career, and NO ONE NEEDS to have IT certifications to be employable. If you find value in them, then you invest the time and money to pursue it. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

In closeing I know Comptia's test are strightforward. I do not blame Comptia for what's in the book. The publishers need to get there act togetother and create material that covers all the bases. And if you can't put it into one book then make two books and sell it as a kit, but they need to make sure it has all the material in it to pass!
    That's your job as a student and test applicant. And if you feel you can produce a better book, go for it! Books like Meyer's and Sybex have TEAMS of people working on them, they have to be turned out timely and printed....and people still complain about the size, the price, the content, etc... Books are mere tools. The user of the tool needs to know what to do with it once in hand. Perhaps you are forcing yourself to take an exam you are not ready to take? There isn't a rush, some just need more time.

A+ and NET+ are some of the easiest exams you will see if you chose to continue in IT. Thousands walk in and pass them without issue each year.....and walk out raving about the books being pivotal in their review process.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member

Default NETWORK+ - A FUN ROLLER COASTER

Plantwiz wrote "Not sure what your educational background is (and not looking to knock you ), but guessing you've had your share of university level courses....which did you get the most from? The ones where the Prof read their notes or read from the course text? Or the ones who lectured from outside the text and when you studied from your notes and the text....things came together?"

I'm a teacher at a Technical College (where you do hands on training and certification preparation). I have students from both the 2-year system and 4-year college systems come to take my classes, and I currently have a 80%+ pass rate for my students taking CompTIA and a 80%+ pass rating for my Microsoft students. I have worked extremely hard for '4' years gathering materials, notes, ideas, and more.......and I've written my own study guide books. I host free Boot-Camps at my college (I do not charge) for students (must be students) from surrounding colleges to come and study for the test, and I spend hours helping them train for train for it. I write all of this Plantwiz so you can understand that these posts are coming from someone, not academically minded, but truly expereinced and knowledgable in the field. With that said - I have to agree with the numerous users posting comments about their disappointment in training materials coming from specific publishers. Dont' get me wrong; I completely understand what someone said when they stated "No book covers 'everything'. Not even in college will a text cover 'everything' It is the student's responsibility to research further in areas where they have questions or interests...not up to one publisher."

But I would like to emphasize (AGAIN) that we are simply saying that we would love to receive links and helpful tips as to where to acquire these extra study materials.

You can't just say "The objectives tell you what you need to know to pass....not the book. The books breakdown the material in an effort to assist the candidate in their review. " That's wonderful - but I think everyone on the planet gets that (LOL). Where are the books that help you prepare for these tough troubleshooting scenarios. One of you quoted "That's your job as a student and test applicant. And if you feel you can produce a better book, go for it! Books like Meyer's and Sybex have TEAMS of people working on them, they have to be turned out timely and printed....and people still complain about the size, the price, the content, etc... Books are mere tools. The user of the tool needs to know what to do with it once in hand. Perhaps you are forcing yourself to take an exam you are not ready to take? There isn't a rush, some just need more time." I'm reading posts from 10+ year professionals, who have purchased numerous books, who are constantly telling you that the questions and challenges on the exam are tough (even for them).

I think maybe we all are not being clear and we sound like we are COMPLAINING. I assure you - I love CompTIA, Microsoft and Cisco and like the way the tests are designed to be challenging, and I love that they require experience mixed with knowledge; but I'm disappointed in publishers who have not really produced a quality training guide for many of the principles on the exam (such as troubleshooting scenarios). I've had to work hard to develop my own training guides and expereinces for my students, which has worked well for my kids - but I"m wondering how incredibly tough it must be on others who do not have that support system!

ALWAYS TRYING TO HELP-----SUPERGEEKHANDGUY!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, i-Net+, Security+, Linux+, Server+, CST, CNST, CWS, MCP (70-270), ITILv3
    What did you use you prepare for the exam?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+ , N+
    I just wrote the exam about 1hour ago and managed to pass with a 599.I only studied from the SYBEX NETWORK+,and went through the technotes here.There were sum weird questions on the MAC OS X10.3 which i didnt bother studying for,so i really cant remember what they were about ,but all in all the exam is passable.Know all the ports,FTP,HTTPS and so on.Know the OSI Model inside out,what devices and protocols operate where.Know interoperabilty between NOvell and Windows.These are just sum of the stuff that came out.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Default WHAT TO STUDY WITH....

"What did you use you prepare for the exam?"

I tell you what....that's been a big tough decision; what book or study guides will or might help. I love Mike Meyers stuff, but alas, I still have not found a publisher that has opened up and tried to hit on the major troubleshooting scenarios you find on the CompTIA Network+.

I love Exam-Cram, Mike Meyers, Sybex was okay; and of course Tech Notes was good. The truth is, I would suggest sign up for a certification course at one of your local tech colleges.....that is where the real learning happens (LOL).

supergeekhandGuy
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks