Certifications
    A+ N+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-Voice, CCNA-Security, CCNP: Voice
    love the write up.. thanks..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    MCSE NT4 MCSA 2000/2003 Security+ (expired: CWNA, CNA, CCNA)
    First another one: Fault Tolerance and Disaster Recovery

More soon...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    You're most welcome Ghaouf, nice to see that people who are Network+ certified still read my Net+ TechNotes

The next one, which I decided to name "Internet Connections" should be ready today or early tomorrow. It will cover NAT, Firewalls, Proxies, and ICS. I think it will be interesting for everyone that is interested in LAN/WAN <----> Internet connections.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Here it is, the next TechNote: Internet Connections.

It covers NAT, ICS, Firewalls, and Proxies.

Enjoy
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ , MCP 76-210 & 76-215 &70-218, network+ , MCSA, MCSE, Security+, Server+, CCNP, CCNA
    do you think that these technotes will be good as a study guide for the inet+
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Good question.

If you take the I-net+ exam objectives that do match to the content of these TechNotes you will have those covered almost entirely. But there is much more to i-Net+ than 'just' the networking part.

i-Net+ is not a very popular exam, so it's not on the priority list for new content. But eventually I will write the i-Net+ TechNotes and I figure I will be reusing a lot of the content from the Network+ TechNotes.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    I just added new TechNotes for the Network+ exam, it covers DHCP, DNS, WINS, NAS and SNMP:

http://www.techexams.net/technotes/n...services.shtml

14 down... 1 to go A very short one, about the exam objectives related to Unix/Linux, that should be online this weekend... and the PDF versions soon after that.

If you have any comments about these latest TechNotes, please do let me know, so I can change/add/remove things before it ends up in the PDF.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ N+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-Voice, CCNA-Security, CCNP: Voice
    great work man.. honestly.. nicely done..

right now i am being sidetracked on work.. got hired as a computer trainer for a real estate company.. 700 agents need to ger trained in various but simple areas of the OS.. grr.. i wanted to see if i can pass the Network+ by the end of this upcomming week.. maybe i still can..

anyhow.. im going to read your notes along with the Sybex and Boson software.. i will pass, WHEN i will is another quesiton lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ , MCP 76-210 & 76-215 &70-218, network+ , MCSA, MCSE, Security+, Server+, CCNP, CCNA
    first of all i found an error.
    it says that an example of a fqdn is
    hostb.tedomain.net

it is not it should be

hostb.tedomain.net.

also for the dns records if you could add what it stands for for example
    PTR (pointer)
    a(host)

just my $.02
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by ghaouf
    first of all i found an error.
    it says that an example of a fqdn is
    hostb.tedomain.net

it is not it should be

hostb.tedomain.net.
    Actually I left out the "." deliberately...
    In general hostb.tedomain.net is a FQDN... it is definitely not an error. The dot for the search domain is not required because it is added automatically in software. Strict technically you are right, but in reality this is never done, and certainly not for CompTIA's Network+. Besides this, another reason for me to leave it out was so I don't have to explain the 'search domain', ("why the dot is there") because this is way beyond the scope of the Network+ exam. For Net+ you need to know what DNS is, not how it functions in detail.

also for the dns records if you could add what it stands for for example
    PTR (pointer)
    a(host)
    Yes, I will.

Thanks for being critical Ghaouf! It's nice to get 'thank you' notes and such but to be honest I was hoping for more of these kind of comments when I started writing these notes, since it does improve them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. ccj

Certifications
    A+
    I can't wait for this to be completed!
    I have to admit that I was preeeety nervous about my A+ exams, but your prep notes and tests gave me that final confidence needed to book in and take them.
    This Net+ section has come at a perfect time, I was lookin to sit the exam imminently, but i'm delaying it until I have read through your prep notes to make sure I nail any weaknesses. No point throwing money away!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    And you won't have to wait much longer, I'm still in the process of making the final touches to the UNIX/LINUX Network+ TechNotes, but I have everything else converted to PDF already, I just want to release the free version at the same time as the Special Edition TechNotes (which contains 300 practice questions) but I still need a couple of dosen questions. I planned on finishing both early this week, but I just had to take a break for a couple of days, because I just couldn't look at another Network+ topic anymore
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. ccj

Certifications
    A+
    Linux+ is something I want to be certified in too... some reading ahead for me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    It's actually just a smal TechNote covering these exam objectives for the Network+ exam:

3.1 Identify the basic capabilities (i.e. client support, interoperability, authentication, file and print services, application support, and security) of the following server operating systems
    - UNIX/Linux

4.4 Given specific parameters, configure a client to connect to the following servers
    - UNIX/Linux
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Member

Certifications
    Network+
    keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to getting the SE PDF.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Thanks Webc0der... I'm working on the final 10 or 15 questions, the SE PDF will be send to a couple of beta testers to be reviewed and I hope to be able to put it online (both the free and the SE PDF) early next week. It has had a little delay, but that only means more content
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member

Certifications
    ComTIA A+, Net+

Default Oustanding job!!!

Hello everybody, this is my first post.

I just would like to thank the Webmaster for the great job you are doing for the Net+ cert. I wish I had visited this site before. I have been studing for Net+ for a while, and I am taking the exam this weekend.

The notes for Net+ in this site is the best out there!!! Keep up the great work.

Just a question. What is going to be your next project? I dont know if this question has been asked already.

Best regards,

Ching
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    You're most welcome, and thank for the compliment

Just a question. What is going to be your next project? I dont know if this question has been asked already.
    As you can see on this list there are almost 40 TechNotes, 14 (tomorrow 15) of them are for the Network+ exam. I'm working on several TechNotes for different exams 'at the same time', on the history page you can see that. The reason I finished all the TechNotes for the Network+ exam first is because 1. it is a popular exam 2. networking is my favorite area.

I've hired a writer do write most of the A+ Core TechNotes, but starting next week, after I finished the Network+ PDFs, I will be going on like before: trying to add something for everyone regularly. Starting September I will be able to do this full-time in a decent office, which should have a good effect on my productivity... I wish I could write as fast as you guys can learn

I am currently working on:
    - Security+, CCNA, 70-210, 70-270, 70-215, BSCI, 70-218, 70-292 Windows 2003 TechNotes and practice exams, and I do take requests
    - adding a lot more pages for several exams, like this one: www.techexams.net/co_netplus.shtml

Next week I'll also continue the Windows 2003 and Linux+ question of the day. I think it's fair to say that besides the Security+ exam, I'll be focussing more on MS (Windows 2000 as well as 2003 and XP) and Cisco exams the next couple of months.

What is going to be your next exam?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member

Certifications
    ComTIA A+, Net+

Default Great Netware and AppleTalk Notes plus some typos

Great notes on Netware and AppleTalk. This is the only place where you actually tell us about their address scheme. I learned lotsa stuff that I did not see anywhere else.

Just a couple of very small details (typos)

At the last paragragh of the netware notes, I believe the world 'Ever' should be 'Every'.

Also in the Disaster Recovery notes. The first paragraph of the 'Backup Types' the world 'since' is written twice in the second sentence. And the second world 'off' is missing a 'f'. At the last paragraph of the notes, the second 'Hot-spare' has an = sign instead of '-'.

Great work.

Ching
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Thanks a lot for the feedback. I really appreciate it. The typos have been fixed.

Johan
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Here it is: http://www.techexams.net/technotes/n...nixlinux.shtml , the TechNotes for the UNIX/LINUX exam objectives. I know it isn't much, but should be sufficient. Let me know if any of you has comments/suggestions. Be critical.

And yes, these are the final 'TechNotes' for the Network+ exam, meaning the PDFs should be online early next week
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Junior Member

Certifications
    ComTIA A+, Net+

Default Encryption and Log Auditing

Greetings Johan. I am just wondering if you will be doing something about encryption and log auditing (for all NOS) in the security area.

I was reading an article that I got earlier from TechRepublic about topics that one should study for the Net+ exam. In your tech notes it covers everything (and much more of course) but you did not go over those two topics. I am just wondering if you are thinking about adding them. I don't know if they are important for the exam though.

Best regards,

Ching
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Junior Member

Certifications
    ComTIA A+, Net+

Default Ops....

Ops, I did not read the last line of the post b4 this one. My bad.

Ching
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    The TechNotes are based on the exam objectives, and besides share permissions and the protocols I covered in the RAS and Security protocols TechNote I can't think of any objective that covers NOS specific encryption and/or log auditing.

Although I won't be adding new TechNotes before the PDFs are finished, I probably will add things once in a while, so all you're comments and suggestions are still appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Member

Certifications
    Network+
    your killin' me with this waiting thing
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 First 123 4567 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks