View Poll Results: What is the hardest topic to study for NET+?

Voters
2479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Media and Topologies

188 7.58%
  • Network Components and VLANs

135 5.45%
  • TCP/IP suite

260 10.49%
  • 7-layer OSI Model

848 34.21%
  • Remote Access and Security Protocols

437 17.63%
  • Proxies and Firewalls

179 7.22%
  • Network Support

297 11.98%
  • Other... please specify

135 5.45%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last
  1. Junior Member
    The cabling/media stuff is the hardest for me. I don't find the OSI model hard at all, but I guess that's because I work with it. The Novell stuff is a pain too.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member

Certifications
    Network+(2009) Security+(200&)
    routing protocols for me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCP, A+ IT Tech, Security+, working on Net+ and MCSE for Windows 2003
    The different routing protocols can be a bit confusing in trying to figure out which ones are the distance onces and the link-state ones.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, 70-640, VCP4, VCP6-DCV
    When I took it, there wasn't any hard topic. But, it was just so broad that you had to remember a lot about many different topics.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    NET+ A+ MCSA (2003) WIP-CCNA, SEC+
    Mine was def Media not so much the topologies but ALL the DIFFERENT types of Ethernet and Ethernet over Coax and Ethernet over FIBER Optic. And all the speeds of each and the distances. That was definitely the hardest for me.
    Kyle Hook
    AAS Computer Network Engineer
    www.hookscr.com

Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member Registered Member

Default definitely the..

WAN technologies. Very glad I did not get any of those on my particular exam. Did get most of the protocols and OSI though. And of course the definition of port mirroring, vlans, trunking, and stp.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
    I'm working on an OSI TechNote and an OSI quiz as well, here's the first part of the quiz: OSI quiz it doesn't have explanations yet (hardly needed either), but I'm sure this first part of the quiz will be useful to memorize some of the facts you need to know for the Network+ exam.

[Edit] I've expanded the quiz with some new quesitons and explanations, still... more will follow

[Another edit:] the OSI model TechNote for the Network+ exam can be accessed here
    i would have to say just basic troubleshooting for those who havent been around to see deal with things like switches and hubs. I mean yeah its all basic knowledge sometimes but if u dont know stuff like which is the difference btween what techniques to use if servers go down, or hub lights are blinking what do you check. But all in all protocols where the hardest for me before i started taking cisco i was kind of %^^&& brained from them.

Certifications
    Server+, A+, Network+, Security+, CISSP
    Yeah routing protocols... i did finally get down which were link state and which were distance, but on the test they had two differnet types of link state and two different types of distance to choose from, so on each question, even though i knew OSPF was Link State, i still only had 50/50 shot at getting it right. Drove me nuts.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA(so close to expire. Only 6 months)
    tell me if network+ is the lighter one compared to the CCNA.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+
    Subnetting is really doing my head in. Remembering the differences between the routing protocols and WAN technologies is also tricky. I've read 4 books but there's still a certain amount that remains "fuzzy" and hard to pigeonhole.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member Registered Member
    IPV4 and IPV6 routing protocols Like Distance-Vector protocol RIPv1. RIPv2, BGP, EIGRP, IGP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSA:2008/7 MCITP:EA/SA EDST/EST MCSE'03 SBS'08/'03 MCDST A+ N+ Sec+ Srv+ VCP5-DCV VCA-DCV/Cloud
    Quote Originally Posted by epedrosa View Post
    IPV4 and IPV6 routing protocols Like Distance-Vector protocol RIPv1. RIPv2, BGP, EIGRP, IGP
    There is very little of this on the exam... that's more the domain of cisco certs
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by epedrosa View Post
    *sigh*

BGP is NOT a distance vector protocol. It is a path vector protocol. There is a difference.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, MCSA: Windows 7, MCITP: EDA, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, MISM
    The hardest topic in my opinion was the cable standards, and the subnetting (even though there is very little of this in the exam). It is mostly basic questions and scenarios, although it covers a wide variety of subjects.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, MTA Networking, Network+, MTA: Security, MTA: OS Fundamentals, Security+
    Cable length and speed
    Subnetting...

Probably will never understand subnetting.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, N+, CCENT
    memorization and V6 are my weakest points. I know what protocol is UDP or TCP, its a matter of actual port # memorization that gets me. lol. I think im mixing V6 questions on the CCNA with N+. oops!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Why is the rum gone!? paulgswanson's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network+; Security+, Project+, MTA:N, MTA:OS, MTA:Sec, CIW Web Foundations
    Cables!!!!!! HULK SMASH!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member Registered Member
    You got it man subnetting is for me the real issue. I thought I understood subnetting until I tried the comptia sample test, I just when't huh? I question involved creating a subnet for 4 groups with different number of computers
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member Registered Member
    I found subnetting to be troublesome, binary conversions, apparently I need some work in remedial math.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Sec+, CISSP (studying for currently)
    Subnetting is probably the most challenging even for seasoned admins. The guy I work with now has 15 years of exp and still states trouble with subnetting networks.. The OSI model is not really that difficult once you start to apply a real 'network' physical system to it..it will all come to light.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Paper cranes for everyone the_hutch's Avatar

Certifications
    BSIT (CNSS 4011, 4012) / Sec+, Net+, CFOI, CEH, ECSA, CHFI, CNDA, CISSP, OSCP
    I think back when I took it several years ago, the area I did worst on was WAN technologies.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, Network+, A+
    I can't believe the OSI model is voted the hardest topic! I find if one of the more understandable concepts of networking. Especially by the time you get to Cisco, the OSI model is your friend. That's just me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Paper cranes for everyone the_hutch's Avatar

Certifications
    BSIT (CNSS 4011, 4012) / Sec+, Net+, CFOI, CEH, ECSA, CHFI, CNDA, CISSP, OSCP
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon1981 View Post
    I can't believe the OSI model is voted the hardest topic! I find if one of the more understandable concepts of networking. Especially by the time you get to Cisco, the OSI model is your friend. That's just me
    While I agree that the OSI model is easy in hindsight, I'm not really surprised. You have to consider the fact that people taking Net+ generally have little to no networking experience. The OSI model is easy, but only if you can put it into context of what you know. When its just a list of abstract concepts, it can be confusing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CompTIA A+Ce, Network+Ce, Cloud+ (Beta), MTA Network Fundamentals. Securities Fundamentals. Server Administration, MCSA 70-410 Server 2012 .
    Whilst studying for the exam I found the following difficult - Understanding Dynamic Routing such as RIP and OSPF and what makes them different from Packet/Cell switching used in WAN technologies such as Frame Relay and ATM.

RADIUS, Kerberos authentication and VPN tunnels such as PPTP, L2TP, & IPSec and all the encryption protocols and methods gave me big headaches because I couldn't work out how they all fitted together to supply a service and what and when each was used, or should be used.

Subnetting had me worried but it shouldn't of because only the basics came up in the exam, I was learning it to the same extent you need in Cisco entry exams and it just isn't necessary.

No problems with OSI, found the Exam Cram explained it really well and gave me great confidence with these questions.

The exam was pretty hard, mostly because the questions lack detail and you often have two or three answers that could genuinely be correct, except one may be slightly more correct than the others. So with many of the questions its best to go with you initial gut feeling which in most cases is the correct answer. It's very easy to talk yourself out of the correct answer if you look at the question for too long
    Last edited by mightymidget; 03-09-2013 at 01:30 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, CCENT, CCNA R&S
    SUBnetting...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks