+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. Member fleck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    85

    Certifications
    WIP: Network+
    #1

    Default I propose a change and simplification to the seven layers of the OSI model

    I mean does it really have to be 7 layers? Data goes from 1. software, through 2. protocols, to the 3. network, through 4. devices, and then does the same in reverse. I count 4 layers, LOL.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,030

    Certifications
    CCNP (R&S/Voice), CCDP, CCIP, VCP, NCDA, MCSE, CCNA Security
    #2
    Maybe the TCP/IP Model would be more to your liking.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    75

    Certifications
    B.S. Business, B.A. Info Systems, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, MCSA, CCENT
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by fleck View Post
    I mean does it really have to be 7 layers? Data goes from 1. software, through 2. protocols, to the 3. network, through 4. devices, and then does the same in reverse. I count 4 layers, LOL.
    Well I guess of "fiend of study" has that option. But what about all the layer 2/3 switching...

    j/k - it would be "simpler" but when you get how different apps / devices work it begins to make sense, and have a purpose.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Augusta GA
    Posts
    272

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec +, CCNA, CCNA:S, CISSP, ITIL, CEH, GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GCED, GSLC, PMP
    #4
    If it aint broke......
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Member fleck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    85

    Certifications
    WIP: Network+
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK99 View Post
    If it aint broke......
    *sip* It's a rather a little too rich!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,941

    Certifications
    MCITP: EA, EMA; MCSE 2000/2003: M; MCSE 2000: S; MCSA 2000/2003: S; MCTS: ISA 2006; VCP3/4
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by fleck View Post
    I mean does it really have to be 7 layers? Data goes from 1. software, through 2. protocols, to the 3. network, through 4. devices, and then does the same in reverse. I count 4 layers, LOL.
    What are you, the George Carlin of the OSI model?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    102
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by kalebksp View Post
    Maybe the TCP/IP Model would be more to your liking.
    I came here to make this joke, knowing it had probably already been made
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Member fleck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    85

    Certifications
    WIP: Network+
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by HeroPsycho View Post
    Dude, George Carlin on the 10 Commandments is EXACTLY what went through my mind when I was almost done typing that up.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. BOBBY_TABLES RobertKaucher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lebanon, Ohio - USA
    Posts
    4,274

    Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by fleck View Post
    Dude, George Carlin on the 10 Commandments is EXACTLY what went through my mind when I was almost done typing that up.
    I would say that IT qualifies as one of the new priesthoods of the modern age. How many admins have I heard give bull sh!t explanations to end users in an attempt to frighten/confuse them into complying with policies?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. The Colosus of Clout Paul Boz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    2,607

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCDA, CCNA, CCNA Security, NSTISSI 4011, GSEC, GCFW, GCIH, GCIA
    #10
    I mean c'mon, how hard is it to remember 7 items?

    When I was prepping for the CCNA back in the day I remembered it as follows:

    Princess
    Dianna
    Never
    Thought
    She'd
    Pancake
    Asphalt

    It's tasteless but easy to remember, what can I say.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Boz View Post
    I mean c'mon, how hard is it to remember 7 items?

    When I was prepping for the CCNA back in the day I remembered it as follows:

    Princess
    Dianna
    Never
    Thought
    She'd
    Pancake
    Asphalt

    It's tasteless but easy to remember, what can I say.
    That was awesome but also very sad.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Member fleck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    85

    Certifications
    WIP: Network+
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Boz View Post
    I mean c'mon, how hard is it to remember 7 items?

    When I was prepping for the CCNA back in the day I remembered it as follows:

    Princess
    Dianna
    Never
    Thought
    She'd
    Pancake
    Asphalt

    It's tasteless but easy to remember, what can I say.
    Yeah but you don't have to remember just the seven layers' names, you have to know their function and what goes into each, right? That's just a lot to take in. Fortunately it'll be another month and a half before I'm supposed to take the Network+ exam, so I have a lot of time to revise them daily until I get them. The OSI model will perhaps be my greatest challenge in Network+, probably even my greatest challenge until I get to Cisco (and I've got A+, Security+, MCSA and MCSE to go til then). Simply because it's not formulaic and data-centric like everything else related to computers.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by fleck View Post
    Yeah but you don't have to remember just the seven layers' names, you have to know their function and what goes into each, right? That's just a lot to take in. Fortunately it'll be another month and a half before I'm supposed to take the Network+ exam, so I have a lot of time to revise them daily until I get them. The OSI model will perhaps be my greatest challenge in Network+, probably even my greatest challenge until I get to Cisco (and I've got A+, Security+, MCSA and MCSE to go til then). Simply because it's not formulaic and data-centric like everything else related to computers.
    Have you tried looking at this?

    OSI model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I think it is very well written and explains the layers functions well.

    http://www.certificationzone.com/cis...PTT-WP1-01.gif
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,238
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by fleck View Post
    ... Fortunately it'll be another month and a half before I'm supposed to take the Network+ exam, so I have a lot of time to revise them daily until I get them.
    You posted this today yet under your list of certifications under your title you already have Network+ listed ? You've confused me yet again.


    I'm sure this origional post was meant tongue in cheek but the OSI model isn't used anywhere except maybe in research circles. The OSI model is only used to reference aspects and sub-layers of the networking process which is why it is one of the fundamental things you need to know and understand fully when studying or working in the networking field.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    62

    Certifications
    CCNA, Security+, Network+, A.A.S. Network Administration
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaminsky View Post
    You posted this today yet under your list of certifications under your title you already have Network+ listed ? You've confused me yet again.


    I'm sure this origional post was meant tongue in cheek but the OSI model isn't used anywhere except maybe in research circles. The OSI model is only used to reference aspects and sub-layers of the networking process which is why it is one of the fundamental things you need to know and understand fully when studying or working in the networking field.
    Is it possible the WIP: Network+ he has listed could possibly stand for Work In Progress?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by bwillford View Post
    Is it possible the WIP: Network+ he has listed could possibly stand for Work In Progress?
    I think that is what he meant.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    502

    Certifications
    CC(NA-IP-NP), JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-ENT, BCNE
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by fleck View Post
    I mean does it really have to be 7 layers? Data goes from 1. software, through 2. protocols, to the 3. network, through 4. devices, and then does the same in reverse. I count 4 layers, LOL.
    Yes it does

    Once you start working in the field, you'll learn about a major difference between Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 3 and Layer 4 problems. Trying to amalgamate all of them just causes more confusion, eg "Its a network layer problem" "so, routing? error control? do they know they are connected? MAC table instability?"

    Also, what if the problem is with the file format, or if you can't establish a session, despite everything at the network level running fine?

    If anything, there could easily be more than 7 layers, and separate branches for each layer, the OSI is quite straightforward once you get your head round it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    251

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA:Security, CCDA, CCNP
    #18
    In networking specifically, you will utilize layers 1-4,7 in your troubleshooting process. And layer 7 is turning around to your developers and saying, "your app doesn't work!"
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,941

    Certifications
    MCITP: EA, EMA; MCSE 2000/2003: M; MCSE 2000: S; MCSA 2000/2003: S; MCTS: ISA 2006; VCP3/4
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by fleck View Post
    Dude, George Carlin on the 10 Commandments is EXACTLY what went through my mind when I was almost done typing that up.
    Ah, yes, it was similar, but not funny...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. BOBBY_TABLES RobertKaucher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lebanon, Ohio - USA
    Posts
    4,274

    Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by HeroPsycho View Post
    Ah, yes, it was similar, but not funny...
    Poor fleck. He's turning into the Dangerfield of this forum...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Member fleck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    85

    Certifications
    WIP: Network+
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertKaucher View Post
    Poor fleck. He's turning into the Dangerfield of this forum...
    'I tell ya I get no respect!'
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    585

    Certifications
    CISSP
    #22
    What I kinda liked his character on Caddyshack.

    "He called me a baboon, he thinks I'm his wife."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Boz View Post
    I mean c'mon, how hard is it to remember 7 items?

    When I was prepping for the CCNA back in the day I remembered it as follows:

    Princess
    Dianna
    Never
    Thought
    She'd
    Pancake
    Asphalt

    It's tasteless but easy to remember, what can I say.
    I really have got a lot of info from you ideas. Thank a lot ! Hope that you will continue with new ideas !
    __________________
    Calcul taux pret personnel en ligne - Demande et simulation de financement de credit personnel
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #24
    No clue how I missed that Paul. Awesome
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,654

    Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    No clue how I missed that Paul. Awesome
    Me neither! I had to search through the thread to find find the quote...
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks