Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: N+ or CCNA?

Certifications
    CCNP:Voice, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA, CCENT, Security +, Network +, A+,CIW
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkerz View Post
    I've been working as on-site IT support for almost 3 years now. I really want to move up in the company, but most of all to get out of the department in which I currently reside. I feel as if I am not challenged enough, and feel the onset of boredom on a daily basis. I purchased Sybex's N10-004 Study guide 2 weeks ago and I am about to begin reading through it a second time. I haven't had a lot of experience with networking for I am considered tier 1 and 2 support. When we have a layer 1 or 2 issue, I can, for the most part, resolve it, but anything else I have been instructed to escalate.

I would like to move in to the networking field, but do not know whether N+ or CCNA is the way to go. Any suggestions or words of advice?
    I'll tell you right now it took me 3 months to get my CCNA and 2 weeks to get my network+.

Go for both.

2. SS -->

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Why isn't CCNA = N+^9 on your signature yet Knwminus?

I scored an 865 on my Net+ test and I get lost just reading some of the CCNA threads here..that's how much of a difference there is in the 2
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    Why isn't CCNA = N+^9 on your signature yet Knwminus?

I scored an 865 on my Net+ test and I get lost just reading some of the CCNA threads here..that's how much of a difference there is in the 2
    lol I will have to put that on there.

Seriously though, I am not going to say that the CCNA is the hardest test in the world or is the end all for networking BUT I don't want anyone to think that if they do well on the N+ they are about ready for the CCNA. I think I score near perfect on the N+ (after 2 1/2 weeks of studying) and failed the CCNA my first go round royally. I kinda though the same thing that the CCNA wouldn't be that tough but it was kinda tough (at least the first go round).

5. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    This is an epic fail, almost ding worthy (rep wise). Seriously as a person who has taken both (and passed both) the N+ is no where near as hard as the CCNA. It does not compare. The only comparison is that they both deal with "networks" and "networking" but besides that, it is like saying geometry and Calc IV (Dif Equations) are both math therefore if you cover Geometry you are almost ready to take a senior level college math class.

Also you do not have to get you CCENT before you CCNA (I did not). If he goes the 1 test route (like I did) he will have to cover the full list of objectives for both ICND1 and ICND2 at once.

You say it does not compare...but then you say the only comparison is...you just contradicted yourself my friend. Anyways if you read a little more thoroughly than deciding to take the path of a flamer you will understand that you just said what i did. Both exams deal with networking but if you read properly you will see that i said the difference is Cisco's proprietary nature with there hardware and there command interface for the Terminal. You should be ding worthy of yourself. As being CCNA harder than Net+ is also shown through what i said. since there's more networking and propreitary nature covered in CCNA i said only a portion of the net+ is covered. You appearantly don't know math either. Not sure how someone that's not anayltical is in this field but we all do our best. cheers, good luck to anyone that takes either test, my best wishes =)

As for the route people take for the CCNA doesn't matter the CCENT is the ICND1 so if he passes that he will obtain his CCENT if you want to take the 1 test that combines both then thats fine too but you will achieve your CCENT first by passing the ICND1 portion on the combined test then when you pass the ICND2 you will then move to CCNA. So through a technicality you will always earn your CCENt first its just that the combined test you move right past CCENt and go to CCNA. Please know what your talking about before you flame please. thank you and good luck!
    Last edited by xineo; 04-20-2010 at 04:28 PM.

6. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by xineo View Post
    So basically if you get your Network+ you have already covered atleast 50% - 80% of the CCENT/CCNA
    This is a no.

My guess is you've never taken the net+, ccent, or ccna.
    Last edited by phoeneous; 04-20-2010 at 05:04 PM.

7. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    This is a no.

My guess is you've never taken the net+, ccent, or ccna.
    Nope CCENT is very similar to Net+ (i think even that guy from earlier could agree) CCENT is 50% of CCNA Exam there for Net+ is 50% of CCNA..i wish those Technical colleges people went too gave math courses. Then people wouldn't have fail arguments.

Now let's do a little more math shall we? Given the mass amounts of different question's you can receive (even though its a set amount) it's possible to get a lot from that 50% margin. Is it going to happen? It's possible but it's not absolutely likely to happen so the highest margin you can get from that is 80% so 50% to 80% is a reasonable calculation being 80% is very very unlikely but non improbable. Where my analytical people at today?!?

Anyways besides people wanting to blow what i said way out of proportion the point i'm trying to get across is that if he studied Network+ and passed it and decided to take CCENT or CCNA he would at least have a baseline to start with. He would atleast have a grasping concept of what's going on in the CCENT or CCNA rather than him feeling like it's completely new, even though a lot of it will be, atleast it's better than nothing. Plus he will have 2 certs now if he passed both. Analogy for this would be you gotta do basic math before you can do complicated algrebra, but complicated algrebra still contains basic math.

In any case i hope he does pass and anyone for that matter i trust that if people put enough effort they will do well no matter what exam it is. Good luck too all candidates =)
    Last edited by xineo; 04-20-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks