+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Junior Member

Default Do you reccomend net+ before ccna

Hey all...I"ve decided to make a leap and change career paths...initially was going to jump in and start studying for the ccna but realized my knowledge might not be quite up to par for that yet. Would it make sense to go after the net + certification first to use as a stepping stool to the ccna? thanks!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    I would definitely recommend reading the material of Network+ but go for the CCNA certification. It will be more beneficial and a better overall return on investment for your career.
    Last edited by Dakinggamer87; 05-26-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CIW Foundation, CIW JavaScript, MCITP: EA, CCNA:R&S, VCP5-DCV
    Yes, Net+ will help you to build network fundamental knowledge.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member
    thanks, so read and comprehend the net +, skip the test, then move onto the ccna? Don't really need the certification huh?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCA (1YO-A23), Network+, Security+, CSA+
    Quote Originally Posted by digzthis View Post
    thanks, so read and comprehend the net +, skip the test, then move onto the ccna? Don't really need the certification huh?
    No reason to skip the test. It ain't gunna hurt to have it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member
    cool, thanks lunchbox
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH, CSA+, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, TCNA, TCNU, and some others
    Hey all...I"ve decided to make a leap and change career paths...initially was going to jump in and start studying for the ccna but realized my knowledge might not be quite up to par for that yet. Would it make sense to go after the net + certification first to use as a stepping stool to the ccna? thanks!
    I would definately use the net+ as precursor to the ccna. I agree with the other replies as the net+ will not hurt you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, SSCP, CompTIA Security+, Network+
    If you take the Network+ exam, it will give you insight on what you have to work on when going for your CCNA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member
    As someone who is in a similar situation, and who is currently studying to take the Network+ exam, I would have to say that I am learning many things I believe the CCNA would expect you to already know.

Take the Network+ exam. I'd have to believe that the knowledge gained from studying Network+ material is prerequisite learning (while not required - but expected knowledge) for the CCNA.

By taking the Network+ exam and getting the cert. you at least would have a good foundation to start CCNA.

I've got the study materials on CCNA and I feel the Network+ will only make your life a lot easier when it comes to studying for the CCNA.

Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member

Certifications
    CCNA, Linux +
    I think you're in the same boat as me. I debated whether or not to take the network + exam, but from what I've read here and elsewhere it's not worth it. I feel that the CCNA encompasses the objectives of the network+ and much more. I am trying to get my certifications on a tight budget and spending money on network+ just doesn't seem worthwhile. I am reading Todd Lammle's Network + book and some other material before I start on my CCNA studies. I already have my lab waiting on me as soon as I finish my prerequisite readings.

Here's what I'm reading before I start CCNA in case you're curious.

Todd Lammle's Network + - Sybex
    The Definitive Guide to Ethernet - O'Reilly
    TCP/IP Illustrated - Addison-Wesley
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    Having done Network+ before and now pursuing the CCNA (reviewing all the materials b4 i attempt the exam atm), I think that having Network+ knowledge is not necessary if you would like to attempt the CCNA.

If I remember correctly, all the topics that are covered in Network+, are covered in CCNA excluding some such as, working with networking tools, general procedure to follow in troubleshooting a network problem and more indepth in command line usage etc.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by south View Post
    I think you're in the same boat as me. I debated whether or not to take the network + exam, but from what I've read here and elsewhere it's not worth it. I feel that the CCNA encompasses the objectives of the network+ and much more. I am trying to get my certifications on a tight budget and spending money on network+ just doesn't seem worthwhile. I am reading Todd Lammle's Network + book and some other material before I start on my CCNA studies. I already have my lab waiting on me as soon as I finish my prerequisite readings.

The cost of the Network+ exam may not be worth it to some, but if you were looking to break into the field prior to getting your CCENT or CCNA certifications, it wouldn't hurt to have it on the resume.

I am sure that if you can get certified for the CCNA, the Network+ exam would be a cakewalk and be seen as the lesser certification. On the flip side, if you couldn't pass the Network+ exam, the CCNA would be even farther from reach.
    Last edited by jblaven; 05-28-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member
    Appreciate the responses. I picked up lammies book for the ccna with really very basic computer networking knowledge and within the first chapter i was needing to look up what seemed like very basic knowledge I should have already had. I'm now reading the comptia network + which I feel is helping because its explaining things that I was needing to look up to get the whole picture in lammies book. I figure it won't hurt, might delay me a couple months but I think it'll be worth it in the long run to REALLY know whats going on...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member
    Appreciate the responses. I picked up lammies book for the ccna with really very basic computer networking knowledge and within the first chapter i was needing to look up what seemed like very basic knowledge I should have already had. I'm now reading the comptia network + which I feel is helping because its explaining things that I was needing to look up to get the whole picture in lammies book. I figure it won't hurt, might delay me a couple months but I think it'll be worth it in the long run to REALLY know whats going on...
    I think you will be glad you did. Plus, I think you will find good explanations of topics in both books. Specifically on how to subnet. I needed to reference both books to get a grasp of the topic as each explained it a little different.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    I figure it won't hurt, might delay me a couple months but I think it'll be worth it in the long run to REALLY know whats going on...
    It sounds like the Network+ will help you build a solid foundation of knowledge for your future studies -- and future career.

A lot of people who go for the quick fix and short cuts find that their hoped for IT career never happens or comes crashing down around them for lack of a solid foundation.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Member

Certifications
    Network+ , CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by mikej412 View Post
    It sounds like the Network+ will help you build a solid foundation of knowledge for your future studies -- and future career.

A lot of people who go for the quick fix and short cuts find that their hoped for IT career never happens or comes crashing down around them for lack of a solid foundation.
    Totally agree. It seems the natural progression leading into CCNA would be Network+. I do not see the CCNA as an introductory course, where the Network+ is a great starting point.

I believe if your serious about the career change and unsure about your abilities in the field, then absolutely is Network+ right for you. Now, just to be clear, the Network+ probably won't land you any tech job, but it is a logical step on your resume. Plus, you can launch into CCNA afterward bringing that experience to the next level.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakinggamer87 View Post
    I would definitely recommend reading the material of Network+ but go for the CCNA certification. It will be more beneficial and a better overall return on investment for your career.

+1

Read the network + material, but go for the CCENT or CCNA when it comes time to get a certificate.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    [Reserved]
    Quote Originally Posted by south View Post

I really like that reading list you have there!

It really helps to be steeped in the fundamentals, when you go on to troubleshooting later on. It's kind of like mathematics, where first, you learn to count. Later, you learn to add and subtract. Even later, you learn to multiply and divide. At some point, you get to deal with exponents, then binomials, then polynomials, then logarithmic functions, then limits, then etc. It's just a natural progression.

Once the fundamentals are sound, you build atop them.

I know a CCNA (guy I worked with at prior job), who can't figure out how to set up his VLANs. Of course, you're not going to memorize every command, that's why Cisco has doc cd/config guides/manuals/etc., and even question mark in the IOS/CATOS/etc.. But, you don't want to confuse a switch's management IP address with whether or not a VLAN is allowed on the device. You don't want to be one of those who is completely lost with the CLI, and can only do configuration via GUI. Also, you don't want to be one of those who goes and disables spanning tree, without being aware of the consequences of your actions.

^^^ Don't be that guy. Some of you might know him. Back in the day when I took Microsoft exams, he used to be called "Bob." You know, the guy who's always going around screwing up your network, and then you have to go behind him and fix it?

Also, you never know enough ... things are always moving forward. It's good to not get blindsided by stuff, and try to stay as informed as possible in your field.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Member

Certifications
    BS, M. Ed., A+, Net+, 70-680
    I would personally recommend doing Net+ before CCNA.

It covers a bit more breadth than the CCNA does on some very fundamental things that will help a lot in real world troubleshooting, IMO. I chose to even start with A+ after already working in IT. Simply because I like to build my buildings from the ground up. Plus, I have to admit, work pays for as many certs as I want to do, so I'm not paying for them either.

Brandon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    a + net+
    network plus has alot of info that will help with ccna professor messer's free net plus training has alot of good info and cbtnuggats instructor for net plus michael shannon includes alot of info about cisco

Network Scaners | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

CBT Nuggets Certification Packages
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Junior Member
    I appreciate the responses everyone has been really helpful! If I were to get the a+ and net +, would those alone get me an entry level job to start gaining experience? From what I've been reading even with the ccna it would still be tough to get a job with no experience right?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    would those alone get me an entry level job to start gaining experience?
    You can get a low level job with just people skills and a smile since it's easier to teach a person with people skills to read from a database then it is to teach people skills to a techno dweeb loser. The more education, certifications, and experience (and luck) you have MAY help you start at a higher level position.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+,ITIL,CWTS,CWNA, CCENT,CCNA,CCNP
    i'm glad I did the network plus! gave me an excellent explanation on things like subnetting, vlans, routers, switches, wireless and many more topics.

If I had not done net+ and gone straight into ccent/ccna I would have really struggled and i'd have felt I was trying to run before I could walk.TBH if someone had told me i'd be passing the A+,net+ and security+ all within 3 months of each other i'd have called them a lier and walked away saying it was impossible.

This is just my personal situation but i know there's obviously a lot of people out there who are super clever and can do it (i.e. do ccna without any prior certs and knowledge) without even missing a beat.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+/Net +/Security +/Project +/CCNA
    Like some of the others, I'm glad that I studied and took the Net + cert. It gave me a very good foundation for the CCNA exam. I now have some experience and am working toward my CCNP. If you can afford it, build the foundation with A+, Net + and security +. It will help in the long run.

As far as getting a job in the IT industry, Certs get you into the entry level positions. Experience and education move you up the ranks. I am a Network Operations Manager for Northrop Grumman. When hiring a new network engineer, I look for someone who has a basic foundation that I can build on. That means Net+ and Security + at a minimum.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+,ITIL,CWTS,CWNA, CCENT,CCNA,CCNP
    Quote Originally Posted by DBrewer254 View Post

Experience and education move you up the ranks. I am a Network Operations Manager for Northrop Grumman. When hiring a new network engineer, I look for someone who has a basic foundation that I can build on. That means Net+ and Security + at a minimum.
    I wish there were more bosses like you over here in England as i'd love to break into the field
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks