+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Senior Member gdeusthewhizkid's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Strata IT, MCP, MTA's, CIW Web Foundations Associate

Default Just failed my net + exam boy was i bummed..

hey guys,

first post here. I took the oo5 this past thursday. I was really nervous when before and during the test. But once i saw the test i was like wow I could pass this. I just a bit mad at myself as i went back and second guessed some questions and that's why i think i missed it.. But im very confident ill pass it the 2nd time.. Been in the field for 10 years Ive always been a bad cert taker tho..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNA, CCENT, Project+, Security+, Network+, A+
    Sorry to hear that gdeusthewhizkid. Was there any particular area of weakness?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member gdeusthewhizkid's Avatar

Certifications
    basically i had a hard time remembering wireless specifications, routing protocols and cable specifications. I know im going to do well 2nd time around.. Been really hitting the books since i know now where im weak at..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+ ce, Server+, CIW - Network Technology Associate, CIW - Web Security Professional
    I don't care what anyone says about CompTIA cert exams, but I for one believe the Net+ exam is perhaps the hardest of all! I also thought I had failed it, I only studied for two weeks with very little or no networking experience. Never give up, I am glad you are going to sit it again, things like: ports, protocols, wiring standards, networking tools <netstat, ARP, ipconfig, ifconfig <UNIX> tracert/traceroute <traceroute is UNIX>, ping, nslookup, etc. Also know RAID levels, cabling types, lenghts, speeds etc.

Firewall basics, VPNs, the OSI <know like the back of your hand> and also what protocols work at what layers. IP addressing (even though it is all CIDR these days) the Net+ still seems to have a focus in the old fashioned class system. I'll inlcude my page I had hanging on the outside of my shower for IP addressing - (it helped me!).

IP Addressing.pdf

Anyway Mate, best of luck, I am sure you will blitz it this time round, and go with your gut instink, if you do not know the answer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member gdeusthewhizkid's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by quinnyfly View Post
    I don't care what anyone says about CompTIA cert exams, but I for one believe the Net+ exam is perhaps the hardest of all! I also thought I had failed it, I only studied for two weeks with very little or no networking experience. Never give up, I am glad you are going to sit it again, things like: ports, protocols, wiring standards, networking tools <netstat, ARP, ipconfig, ifconfig <UNIX> tracert/traceroute <traceroute is UNIX>, ping, nslookup, etc. Also know RAID levels, cabling types, lenghts, speeds etc.

Firewall basics, VPNs, the OSI <know like the back of your hand> and also what protocols work at what layers. IP addressing (even though it is all CIDR these days) the Net+ still seems to have a focus in the old fashioned class system. I'll inlcude my page I had hanging on the outside of my shower for IP addressing - (it helped me!).

Attachment 2128

Anyway Mate, best of luck, I am sure you will blitz it this time round, and go with your gut instink, if you do not know the answer.
    thanks man.. I got a 697. now that i know my weakness im just gonna brush up on them for a few weeks and go in and knock it out..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+ ce, Server+, CIW - Network Technology Associate, CIW - Web Security Professional
    Good on ya Mate, I like your spirit. I must admit I have not failed one yet, but sure as the sheeps short and curlies, if I ever did, I would be devastated. I reckon you gain strenght from failure, but where certs are concerned, there is no such a thing as "failed"...just a dry run in my book.

You will no doubt come out far stronger with a greater depth of knowledge, very strong on topics and concepts, that is the kind of thing that makes you a well rounded and respected IT technician.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member gdeusthewhizkid's Avatar

Certifications
    thanks man... appreciate the kind words.. yes you gain strength from failures..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member
    I agree you do gain strength from failures.

I've failed 4 certification exams in my life. I think I have taken more away from those failed exams than all my passes. It's kind of weird like that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Hey... don't give up so; pick yourself up and get back to studying. You can brush on the areas where you're weak and reschedule asap so; the material is fresh in the system. I passed on the first try but, I was working in the field already and I had the basic foundation down; you'll get it the next time around!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member gdeusthewhizkid's Avatar

Certifications
    Im 1 out 10 on cert exams guys. Trust me I dont give up but im frustrated like hell. But without certifications you can't get promoted in my company or get a better position in IT from what ive witnessed. I just get anxiety when i take these tests or something... But i need certs for advancement it is frustrating tho to fail them..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member

Certifications
    Network+
    now I'm nervous. i take network+ on thursday. I'm going to focus on those protocols, cabling and wireless specs. this is my first certification.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member gdeusthewhizkid's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by andremcullins View Post
    now I'm nervous. i take network+ on thursday. I'm going to focus on those protocols, cabling and wireless specs. this is my first certification.
    those are heavy on the test. routing protocols cable specifications and wireless differences..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member

Certifications
    Network+
    what wireless specs? i need an example...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCENT, Active Directory 70-640, Network+,MCSA, Windows 7 Config (70-680), MCITP (70-685),
    It is frustrating but im glad your sticking at it! Its a tough one, good luck on your next attempt! :P
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Guest

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    http://certification.comptia.org/Lib...-005.sflb.ashx
    2.2 Given a scenario, install and configure a wireless network.
    - WAP placement
    - Antenna types
    - Interference
    - Frequencies
    - Channels
    - Wireless standards
    - SSID (enable/disable)
    - Compatibility (802.11 a/b/g/n)
    2.4 Given a scenario, troubleshoot common wireless problems.
    - Interference
    - Signal strength
    - Configurations
    - Incompatibilities
    - Incorrect channel
    - Latency
    - Encryption type
    - Bounce
    - SSID mismatch
    - Incorrect switch placement
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    #Cisco: NA #CompTIA: A.N.S
    Don't give up. We got your back!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ certified
    gdeusthewhizkid

The next time you'll have better luck. I'm sure you'll pass, run over again professor messer videos, they are great help. and next time just nail it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Member

Certifications
    Network+, A+, Security+
    I don't know if this will help or if you've already tried it but there's a visual certexam suite out there where you can download VCE files. It's been very helpful to me so far. I take the test either this week or next. I'll let you guys know how I do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member gdeusthewhizkid's Avatar

Certifications
    the differences between wireless 802.11a & b and n. the frequencies. differences between wireless securities..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member gdeusthewhizkid's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by minidaniels View Post
    It is frustrating but im glad your sticking at it! Its a tough one, good luck on your next attempt! :P
    i see you got the 680 cert too.. how tough was that?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, Network+, CSE
    You shouldn't study for a cert test based off of someone else's results, because it comes from a random bank of questions. Yes, protocols, cabling and wireless are all very important, but you still have to understand every domain. For example, I studied like crazy on fiber optic standards, connectors, lengths, etc. because I read some posts where people have gotten more than 5 questions in that area. Well, on my Net+ I got one question in that realm and dedicated hours of studying toward it. So basically what I am saying is that you might put all your time into protocols, cabling, and wireless, and that might only be about 4 or 5% of your total test. Make sure you know everything!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member gdeusthewhizkid's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by zrockstar View Post
    You shouldn't study for a cert test based off of someone else's results, because it comes from a random bank of questions. Yes, protocols, cabling and wireless are all very important, but you still have to understand every domain. For example, I studied like crazy on fiber optic standards, connectors, lengths, etc. because I read some posts where people have gotten more than 5 questions in that area. Well, on my Net+ I got one question in that realm and dedicated hours of studying toward it. So basically what I am saying is that you might put all your time into protocols, cabling, and wireless, and that might only be about 4 or 5% of your total test. Make sure you know everything!

he's right i feel like these tests are adaptive. wherever they see you weak at they hit you on it. Well for me it was network tools cabling. and wireless security. I do networking everyday and some of these principles I would never do in real life but oh well...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA A+/Net+/Sec+/Proj+; MCTSx5; MCSAx2; MCITPx2; CCNA R&S
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass this time. Now you know where you need to focus your studying on and you'll ace it next time. Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Junior Member

Certifications
    Network+
    thanks guys. I am struggling with incorrect IP addresses. and CIDR.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA A+/Net+/Sec+/Proj+; MCTSx5; MCSAx2; MCITPx2; CCNA R&S
    CIDR is tricky, but once it clicks, it makes so much more sense.

Eli the Computer Guy explains subnetting in this video:
    TCP/IP and Subnet Masking - YouTube

Fast Forward to minute mark 43:00 if you don't want to watch the entire video.

Here are a few other videos that might help:
    How to calculate a TCPIP IPv4 subnet mask - YouTube
    Learn to Subnet the Easy Way - YouTube

Good luck!
    Last edited by ahphoto; 03-27-2012 at 01:44 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks