Default Which is easier to get S+ or N+

I was wondering which cert is easier to get...S+ or N+

I just passed my S+ but not with a good score
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Starcraft Engineer

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCTS Win 7, AD, Net Infrastructure
    Score doesn't matter at all. If you passed, you passed.

I would say Net+ is easier than Security+, but I would condition that by saying the Net+ is actually more technical. Anyway, Net+ is overall pretty easy, and having passed Security+ it should be very easy for you. Just do it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+,ITIL,CWTS,CWNA, CCENT,CCNA,CCNP
    Maybe it is a subjective question?
    In retrospect I found Net+ harder than Sec+ but I scored higher on the Net+ exam. The Sec+ exam has a lot of funny questions that are sometimes a bit misleading imo.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Server+,A+, N+, MCDST, HDI/SCA, MCP, ITIL Foundations 2011, VCA5-DCV,VCA5-Cloud, MTA 98-364
    Net + for sure!
    Darril Gibson has good practice test questions for N+ and good prep for S+ FYI
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Network+,Security+,SSCP, MCP,ArcSight ATP
    "The Sec+ exam has a lot of funny questions that are sometimes a bit misleading imo." YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. i have both and found that Sec + to be a tad shady in it's questioning, because its not based on how much you know but rather than how you answer the question. my theory is that if you pass Net +, Sec + should be easier than you think and visa versa.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+,ITIL,CWTS,CWNA, CCENT,CCNA,CCNP
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvl13 View Post
    "The Sec+ exam has a lot of funny questions that are sometimes a bit misleading imo." YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. i have both and found that Sec + to be a tad shady in it's questioning, because its not based on how much you know but rather than how you answer the question. my theory is that if you pass Net +, Sec + should be easier than you think and visa versa.
    It's a shade of grey as Captain Sisko would say!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    #Cisco: NA #CompTIA: A.N.S
    50 Shades of Grey as a lot of ladies would say!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BS in IT (Info Sec and Net Admin) Security+, Network+
    Thank you all...will let you know once I take the Net+ exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. "Senior Moments" Member spicy ahi's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3, CISSP
    Good luck on your test! I'm not a good person to answer this because I took both back in '07 but back then Net+ was definitely the easier exam since Sec+ didn't have very good study resources. I have heard from those I've mentored that they found Net+ easier because the information is straightforward vs. Sec+ which has some "tricky" spots. FWIW.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Why is the rum gone!? paulgswanson's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network+; Security+, Project+, MTA:N, MTA:OS, MTA:Sec, CIW Web Foundations
    Oddly enough I have to say the exact opposite of Spicy said.

My Net+ had way more 'iffy' question that S+ did.
    And I personally felt the objectives they want you to know are far more broad with N+ than with S+

That being said I felt the N+ was FAR FAR harder.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    AAS in Computer Networking and Convergence Technologies, BAS in Applied Management, CompTIA A+
    Quote Originally Posted by paulgswanson View Post
    Oddly enough I have to say the exact opposite of Spicy said.

My Net+ had way more 'iffy' question that S+ did.
    And I personally felt the objectives they want you to know are far more broad with N+ than with S+

That being said I felt the N+ was FAR FAR harder.
    I agree with him.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member

Certifications
    BS in MIS, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS 70-680, MCTS 70-640, ITIL (2011) Foundation
    If you pass the N+ then the S+ will be easier, therefore "N+ > S+". it took me 1 1/2 month of straight studying for the N+, while the S+ was only 3 weeks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Member

Certifications
    A+,Net+,Sec+
    To me the security was "easier" but it was far more interesting to me than networking was/is

I took both courses through cbt nuggets and I found myself doing more youtube searches on topics in the security class than the network course just for added info because of cool concepts/topics.

Both are very basic and cover a wide range of topics and test your ability to take tests as much as the content (imo)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member

Certifications
    Comptia Security + and Network +
    I personally think the Security + was a lil harder then the Network +... it had more complex questions on it. IMO
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I wish i would of found this forum a lot sooner - i bought some material and seen its very sourced here with the help of you awesome gurus to top it off... excellent.

I'll be taking my net + exam soon - right now im currently studying it...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CompTIA Security+, Network+ (In Progress) Starting CCNA 8/27
    I passed my Security+ exam before diving into Network+. In Darril's book it recommends doing the N+ first. Also an Intro to Security Concepts class I took, had a networking prequisite that I was able to bypass with a prior course I took at a University.

That said, in hindsight, I wished I had done the N+ first. Most of my classmates had the N+ as well. I know all the Certification exams use a battery of questions so there are going to be a range of experiences from the readers here. I know my S+ exam was Network heavy. There was a ton of device trouble shooting questions and network specific best practices. The first half of the N+ book I am using is very technical whereas the second half is richer explanation of the devices and security protocols covered in S+. I think if you thoroughly understand the technicalities of networks and routing then the other stuff should be easier to learn on the account of S+.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I was wondering, the 15min study guide they have from LearnSmartSystems - does that tackle the important key points that will be on the test? Could i study that and be okay - or would i have to actually read a whole study guide or skim through it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Why is the rum gone!? paulgswanson's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network+; Security+, Project+, MTA:N, MTA:OS, MTA:Sec, CIW Web Foundations
    @FreshWerk The 15minute guide only touches on the stuff that will be tested on, I'd read the whole thing. The 15 minute thingy more than likely will not be enough (unless they significantly changed it in the last 2 months). I actually paid the trial LearnSmart when studying for N+ and Sec+ and those guides they have, are not sufficient.

That being said it's always a good idea to use multiple mediums to study from.
    Last edited by paulgswanson; 08-23-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA: R&S
    A little birdie told me that they are in the process of updating their Net+. I'm waiting for that time so that I can hurry and pass my Net+ and start working on my Sec+.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Junior Starcraft Engineer

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCTS Win 7, AD, Net Infrastructure
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPuzzlez View Post
    I'm waiting for that time so that I can hurry and pass my Net+ and start working on my Sec+.
    Why? Just study and take it now. Net+ is centered around a suite of protocols and a framework that have been around longer than most people taking the test have been alive. The material will not change very much. It doesn't make any sense to me to wait for a version change, especially since Comptia generally leaves the last-gen version available for a while.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. j1n
    Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+
    Net+ was easier for me. i just passed the sec+ the other day.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member gdeusthewhizkid's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Strata IT, MCP, MTA's, CIW Web Foundations Associate
    network+ was difficult took it twice. I dont believe security+ will be that difficult just looking over the practice questions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. - IT, A.A.S. - Networking, CISSP, CCSP, GMON, GCIH, CCNA-S, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+
    I will say that you may have a hard time jumping into Security+ without a Network+ or a networking background as it's assumed that you have that knowledge for the Security+exam. I'm currently studying for the Security+ and can say that my Network+ knowledge is serving me very well in my studies.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Junior Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+, MCP
    I think Network+ is the easier exam. I think the average IT guy would know far more about the material you will be tested on for the Network+ exam as opposed to Security+
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BS in IT (Info Sec and Net Admin) Security+, Network+
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPuzzlez View Post
    A little birdie told me that they are in the process of updating their Net+. I'm waiting for that time so that I can hurry and pass my Net+ and start working on my Sec+.

Does anyone know when Net+ getting updated??? I am behind and I want to make take the exam within the next two weeks. Help Please
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks