+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP-ISSAP, HCISPP GPEN, GSEC, GSNA, GCIH, E|CH, ECSA, Security+
    Having spent the last 10 days learning everything and certifying in MobileIron I can see where iPhones have some advantage for business management but little else has been compelling to me to want to switch. Positively hate Windows 10 and anything that looks like a tile. Sorry Windows fanbois. Its true I can adapt, I can support but it doesn't mean I have to like it. MDM for Windows feels broken compared to Apple but also comes at the cost that when I say manage your phone remotely I mean I "pwn the phone". My parents are in their 70s and find the iPhone less confusing than other platforms so I always assumed that it were kids and old people using iPhones. Most techs in this shop are on Samsungs. Other shops I know varies quite a bit. Depends on "how cool" most people believe one phone is over another.

Android is a bit in the middle for management but doable. Nothing great. Much like the first three options and as others have indicated I really couldn't care less about the latest mobile game so app stores mean little to nothing for me. I need the ability to make and receive recruiter calls (*wink*), browse the Internet and Twitter for breaking news. A calculator and flashlight app in a real pinch I am good to go.

Since eliminating the three most obvious choices above your probably scratching your head wondering what I do prefer and will until it completely outdated? Blackberry Z10. Still more secure than the three options above and works just fine. OK, some sites no longer fully support the browser but I don't need the advertising sent my way in the first place.

And MobileIron no longer supports BlackBerry so the company can spy on my in the first place.

- b/eads
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S
    Well to me the choice is very simple. I have tons of Apple products and the iPhone integrates well with them. BlackBerry is not really an option since I don't care for RIM at all. That leaves Android and well, I don't use it for the same reason I don't use Linux--too much of a headache, too much customization and I just want my devices to work so I can focus on my true passion which is Networking.

Funny thing is I worked quite a bit with Linux. System Administrator for a number of years. Just can't use it at home.

Edit: How could I forget, there's also the Windows phone. Is that even an option?
    Last edited by koz24; 10-11-2016 at 08:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    vExpert | CCA | CCAA | MCSA | MCTS | MCITP:EMA 2010 | VCP5-DCV/DT | VTSP4/5 | VSP 5 | Network +
    I think iPhone is a great product, you pay a lot, but you do get a solid device, at least from my experience, every iPhone I owned has served me well. I think next year, I will be switching to iPhone as I am currently using an LG G5. Another option is the new google phone, but thats a debate for another day
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA IT Fundamentals, CCENT, CCNA:R&S, BInfoTech
    I started out with an iPhone 3GS then moved to a Galaxy Nexus given to me by work and have been on a Galaxy S4 which I bought second hand around two years ago. Unfortunately none of the modern phones amaze me anymore (expect the prices) and apart from wanting a phone that has a better camera, I really cannot justify moving away from the S4. I do prefer the effort Apple puts into the design of their phones, but since post Jobs this has also become very lacklustre. I'm starting to think I might upgrade my phones more regularly but look into investing more on the mid-range handsets.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, S+, CSA+, MCP,MSM ISS, MS DFS, BS IT, AAS CNS
    Myself I have a Galaxy S6 Edge Plus for over a year now. Before that I had a Windows phone I miss so much. It was a Nokia 1520 with a massive 6 inch screen. It was total awesomeness. I had it for almost 2 yrs before it got fried in an airport. Went through the Xray machine and when it came out it started acting crazy. Never worked after that. I was really sad. I have been tempted to go to the 950XL Windows Phone. The Windows Phones really should be replacements for Blackberries to be honest. I can do all my MS Office Work on the phone if I wanted especially if I owned the 950Xl with Display Dock. I tried an iPhone for a few year up until iPhone 4 and then just gave up. I hated it, I felt like I had a kids toy in my hand and it always seemed clunky. Not sleek and fast like my Windows Phone or my Edge+. My wife has the iPhone 7 and she has had nothing but IOS issues over and over. I have to have a Time Capsule for a secondary router for her phone to connect to. It won't play nice with the Tomato router I have. So nope to iPhone.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    I tried liking the Windows phones. A few years ago at a previous company I had our Verizon rep send me a few different models of Windows phones. Tried them out for a few weeks. Putting my personal number on them and everything. Never got around to liking them. Was never a fan of the hardware of them. Went back to my iPhone. Then last year I bought a Galaxy Note 5, wanted to go to Android phone and that looked like the best one. It is an OK phone... but went back to my iPhone after less than a month. The iPhone just seems so much simpler, easier, and faster to do things on. I don't do anything crazy with my phone so simple works for me. Who wants to over complicate using a phone more than it needs to be? Using a iPhone 5 for now, probably til the next iPhone comes out next year, never had any issues with it so far. **knocks on wood**

If anyone wants a Note 5 in perfect condition I have one sitting my drawer I might be willing to part with for a the right price
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. This site changed my life mzx380's Avatar

Certifications
    ITIL, ACA, VCP-DCV, Linux+, CCNA
    Long time iPhone user but I'm no mac fanboy

I've had a 2g, 3g, 3gs before I went to an Android phone for a while. Even though I like Android tablets more than iOS tablets, there is really no comparison between Android phones and iPhone. Android offers a lot of freedom but let's be honest, the UI is not as user-friendly and considering just how often a smartphone is used these days, that is a huge difference. App availability is greater on iPhone because developers want to put their product in more people's hands and that is a huge selling point as well.

Hardware on 'droid is much better but you will enjoy it so just give it a chance
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA IT Fundamentals, CCENT, CCNA:R&S, BInfoTech
    Quote Originally Posted by mzx380 View Post
    App availability is greater on iPhone because developers want to put their product in more people's hands and that is a huge selling point as well.
    Odd choice of words seeing as though Android devices currently crush the market share: IDC: Smartphone OS Market Share 2016, 2015
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. user.Status = "Learning";

Certifications
    MCSE Server 2012, MCSE CP&I
    Quote Originally Posted by beads View Post
    Blackberry Z10
    I enjoyed my Z10 when I had it, and I liked the form factor as well. My Passport has done some damage to some of my pockets due to its unconventional dimensions. I've considered getting a Silver Edition for the sleeker look.

Maybe we'll see 10.3.3 before they turn the lights out on the QNX department...then again, probably not.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. This site changed my life mzx380's Avatar

Certifications
    ITIL, ACA, VCP-DCV, Linux+, CCNA
    @dontstop

I stand corrected. Guess that must because there are so many versions of Android phones out there.
    Still doesn't make them better phones then iPhone imho
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISA, eJPT, CompTIA x 6, MCP, MCTS
    I am using a Galaxy Note 5 ..

My son has an ipad, as a device it is great, and I am sure that the iphone is a great device, however I have 2 issues with Apple devices.

1: I really hate itunes, and they force you to use it, in one case I wanted to check details of a purchased games, to do that you must install itunes, login to your icloud account and check the transactions .

2: chargers and cables, in many cases i will have a crying kid, or a disgruntled co-worker because the charger or the charging cable are missing.
    This never happens with Samsung or a blackberry, I probably have 10+ different chargers and 20+ different cables that will charge my Galaxy at home, and probably more than that at work.

As for Blackberries, the Q10 is the worst device that I have ever worked with, at work we have an almost 50% keyboard failure rate.
    Last edited by wd40; 10-14-2016 at 06:44 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member Registered Member

Default Another iPhone User

I have used iPhone for 3 years.
    Once I learn the Android programming, I will definitely convert to Samsung cellphone then.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Member
    iphone user. It just works.

Also, the amount of malware targeting them is far less. The security model preventing apps from exploiting one another is great.

They put out security updates quickly too, which can't be said for a lot of android phone manufacturers.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks