+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    C****, C***, C**
    It did mention that exercise counteract the effects of sitting.

For motivation, read Davos 2017: The bosses obsessed with exercise. The bosses in the article do not look their age; I underestimated their ages by at least 10 years.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCIE R/S
    i converted over to mostly "healthy" life style and have been that way for many years. Workout 3 days a week and still do light exercises on the days i don't. I juice daily, eat like a vegetarian most of the time, rarely beef, no pork and very little bread. no alcohol and don't smoke.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member NetworkingStudent's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network+, and Security+. MTA: OS
    I worry about weight and health at times.

Before working in IT, I used to have manual labor jobs, so I never had to worry about weight gain. Maybe every 5 years I would gain 2-3 pounds.

Now that I'm in IT, I have gained 20-30 pounds.

I'm trying to lose weight.

What I'm doing:

So far what works for me is cutting up some veggies and having them on hand in the fridge for a snack. (with dip)

At work I park as far way from the entrance as I can, so that I force myself to walk farther to work.

I will get to work early and bring my walking shoes. I try to walk a mile or more each day.

No chips or junk food in the house.

Meals are prepped each day.

I try to hit the gym, but sometimes I'm, mentally wiped out from work.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, ITIL-F, LPIC-1, AWS-Sysops, AWS-CSA
    It comes down to what you eat and drink. Water is your friend, cut out the soda/beer etc. I was listening to a podcast recently and it said if your carbs have more than 1 ingredient on the packet then don't eat it. That leaves you with a vast amount of good healthy food that doesn't need salt/sugar/corn syrup etc added to make it flavoursome. If anyone is serious about changing their eating habits then use www.myfitnesspal.com. I've been using it for ~2 years now and I find it extremely useful. It links up with various exercise tracking apps so if you are working out then you can add your workout calories to your daily total. If you can't find a food that you've consumed on the app then you can add it in if you have the nutrient information. If not, just add something similar but I will always over estimate this as I don't want to be conservative and be going over my daily limit. I'm currently running a deficit of ~500 calories on average and it's working well for me, even with an average 90 minutes cycling per day.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    It looks like the general consensus is that this job is hard on your health. I've always viewed IT as different than typical white collar work than traditional office pillars. We are always on & the level of "input" is beyond what most white collar careers deal with. The other day I was trying to work, Skype was lit up, my email was endless and everyone needed an answer now. The constant distractions combined with the new world where everything is elevated to very important is draining & annoying.

And take something like being on call. Even if the phone doesn't ring, you're still "wired" waiting for something to happen. That lifestyle is conducive to poor health and poor eating. You finish a day of work and you're just drained and feel like sleeping or having a cold 6 pack. I've spent 24 hours at work on an emergency. I can't ever remember seeing HR or Accounting or Legal doing that.

My personal BIGGEST pet peeve is when I worked in an office. I would often eat at my desk and I'd be about to take a bite of my food or be chewing and someone would barge into my office with a concern. Um, maybe when you see a guy eating give the guy some space for 5 minutes. Or those days when you walked in the office with a morning coffee only to be swarmed by staff because of some issue. I was once doing backfill for a tech & I walked in to a client, first day. 8 AM and there is all the C Level executives telling me the entire network is down. I'd never even been to the place but they wanted an immediate answer. Luckily there was a quick fix, but stresses like that drive you to eat poorly and/or have a couple of beers after work to relax.

@Jcundiff: Contrary to what a gym will tell you, you don't need much in the way of equipment to get fit. There is something called the Ghetto Workout where just your body weight is used. The idea is it's for people who can't afford a gym and/or equipment (or maybe don't have the space). Congratulations on the weight loss though. That is impressive.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE R/S
    also if your strapped for time T25 has a food and workout plan that is 25 min a day. to be honest we all have enough time to work out if you cut the tv off and stop playing video games
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA: R&S, eJPT, JNCIS-SEC, Adtran(IPBG & IN), Dell Sonicwall CSSA, Dell Sonicwall Email Security, CompTIA Security+, CompTia Network+
    A standing desk helps out with the sitting problem - especially if it is one of the ones that is adjustable so that you can stand when you can and sit when you must. Outside of the standing desk you can always stand and stretch occasionally, maybe even do a few squats here and there. Nothing to get you sweating but enough to get some blood flowing.

I frequently stand and stretch. In addition to the standing I try to make an effort to walk around for a minute or two once an hour. I usually take this time to go refill my water bottle or get coffee. This has made a significant difference for me vs sitting all the time in terms of back trouble and leg swelling.

I've had a DVT before and because of that I focus on not sitting still for too long. For one my leg will swell if I do and I always worry about getting another one. My Apple Watch also pings me once an hour to stand up as part of my "stand goal" - which helps keep me on point.
    2017 Certification Goals: CISSP [] eCPPT [] OSCP []

Blog: www.networkingfox.net
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. IOCs? What IOCs???!! jcundiff's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CRISC, ITILFv3, PCIP, RSA Archer, MSCE Win2000, A+, N+, Server+, Proj+, eBiz+,iNet+
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkingStudent View Post
    I try to hit the gym, but sometimes I'm, mentally wiped out from work.
    Those are the days I most enjoy getting on the bike and bench... the physical not mental refreshes the whole body.

@Chinook, completely agree, we have a recumbent bike, a bench, and about 210 pounds of free weights... all my son and I need to get what we need ( he also gets 1-2 days track practice and 3 days of football winter program a week )

And you can eat healthy without sacrificing taste...

IWAC w salad.jpg

This is what we had tonight... Italian White Ale chicken and apple cashew salad...

Chicken is easy... take boneless breasts and butterfly them (cut lengthwise) put in a gallon freezer bag of Kraft Italian dressing (oil based original) and put in fridge for 24 hours, then when put on the grill, dash them with McCorrmick's grill mates Belgian White Ale seasoning, and again when you flip them... my 16 year old son says its the best chicken ever so much better than fast food
    Last edited by jcundiff; 01-23-2017 at 12:30 AM.
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    @Jcundiff

I found the really challenging part was finding a way to eat healthy if traveling or when out driving. AirBnB has been great for that because I can find apartments with kitchens & cook. It beats eating another BLT with fries from the hotel pub. When I'm on the road I just read menu's to see what was OK to eat. So a grilled chicken sandwich with a potato at Wendy's worked. It's not the best choice but it's better than a burger and fries.

I mostly work at home so I'm fortunate I can cook everything. I live in the mountains in Western Canada (Revelstoke, BC) so the trips to clients (or airports) are long. And when on the go it's tough to find time to stop to eat. I find now I don't really like eating junk food as it tastes terrible & I've even switched to turkey bacon (I know, I know, revoke my man card).

I do the once a week "be bad" thing where I pig out and eat and drink to my hearts content .... after I work out.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    ITIL V3 F, ITIL OSA, ITIL ST
    I think I eat too much.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CSE From Northern University, Bangladesh
    Very good discussion. Till now I have moved more than 5 sit that are different IT company. In each company, I can't sit 1 hours contentiously.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    I try to walk a lap around the building 2-3 times per day in nice weather, or just down and back up the stairs when it's not. It's not much, but breaking up long sitting periods is good for you.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 3/22/2017 - Passed Microsoft 70-412; 2/11/2017 - Completed VCP6-DCV (passed 2V0-621)
    Working on: MCSA 2012 upgrade from 2003 (to heck with 2008!!), more Linux, AWS Solution Architect (Associate)
    Thinking about: VCP6-CMA, MCSA 2016, Python, VCAP6-DCD (for completing VCIX)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, S+, CSA+, MCP,MSM ISS, MS DFS, BS IT, AAS CNS
    This is why I have a 5 AM appointment in the gym with myself. I work out 6 days a week for 20 to 30 minutes. Usually, it is running for 15 to 20 and then weights for 5 or 10 minutes. I was really sick for about a yr. and couldn't make it to the gym. I put on like 60 lbs in a yr. Now in a month I have dropped 17lbs all I do is count calories in and out. Most people would look at my diet and go no way he is losing weight. You can eat doughnuts and lose weight if you exercise and just eat one doughnut . So the moral of the story keep yourself exercising in IT or get fat.
    Last edited by jeremywatts2005; 02-02-2017 at 04:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks