+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Voice, Security

Cool What do you do when your NOT studying?

Working from home, my days flow is:

wake up -> walk to laptop for work -> yawn -> walk to laptop for studying -> yawn -> PS4 -> yawn -> bed to repeat.

I am looking for something to replace the PS4 section in my day, I inherited a set of golf clubs I'm going to try to hit the ball further than the dirt, and some tennis rackets but I have a sh*tty back from years of sitting on my ass studying so bending over to pick up the ball ain't like it used to be

I'd be interested to hear your ideas, my fiance deals with basically not seeing me during the work week even though I work and study from home, so I'm wondering what extra curricular activities other IT hermits do when they crawl out of their shells (especially to make up to loved ones for studying non-stop)?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    I used to play golf alot, workout, play guitar... Then the wife and I had a kid. Now I don't know what free time feels like anymore.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. user.Status = "Learning";

Certifications
    MCSE Server 2012, MCSE CP&I
    I correct grammar and spelling...you're. I kid, I kid.

When I supported servers for a retailer that rhymes with Wal-Mart, I got into flying light aircraft mainly as a way to keep my sanity. That became a very expensive hobby, however. Motorcycles have been a thing off and on for about 15 years now (as my username depicts), and when I have one and the weather is nice I go for a ride (75°F or higher...at 34 years of age I'm too old to be out riding in the cold ).

Aside from that, I do XBone gaming (sorry PS4 guys), watch a crap ton of movies, or find a weekend getaway with my girlfriend.

-EDIT-

@ande0255, I love your signature by the way, I told a couple of guys at work about it the other day and they "remembered" those days.
    Last edited by GSXR750K2; 04-12-2017 at 04:12 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA IT Fundamentals, CCENT, CCNA:R&S, JNCIA, BInfoTech
    I found that during my last burst of studying I started with a really good mix of study and play. For some reason I started to drop off my hobbies and this impacted my study quality and my ability to study well.

Hobbies include:
    • Dirtbikes
    • Road Cycling
    • Walks
    • I've been trying to get into Gaming in order to have a focused distraction from the PC
    • Cooking is a great distraction to
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member
    lol, i use snapchat, IG, and Hangout With Friends
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Cisco R00t Clan Member NOC-Ninja's Avatar

Certifications
    CCIE-Wireless, CCIE-RS (written), CCNP-Wireless, CCNP, CCNA-Wireless, CCNA-Security, CCNA, CEH, CHFI
    Play Overwatch, and brazilian jiu jitsu.
    I limit overwatch by playing only 2 games per day.
    MSISA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    @GSXR - Thank you, a lot of these kids now adays don't know the anticipation of watching a picture of Pamela Anderson in the 90's load part by part of the web page!

I am trying not to stare at screens all the time, but with a recliner in front of a TV and PS4 it is so hard to muster the will to do something outside, but now that it is unthawing in MN I am hoping I get something to unplug myself from technology.

Maybe frisbee, hitting whiffle balls with the golf clubs, or just walking around parks. I feel like working all day then going right to CCNP studying is so mentally draining, I just want to slump in my recliner and go brain dead, like I am about to do now after studying for freegin hours.

Also @Newb, I can't imagine how you do it with a family, I can barely keep the fiance at bay to let me study for hours on end!

@NOC - I figured your past time from studying was studying

@dontstop - I often do the household chores like dishes / laundry / cleaning, and actually found it almost as gratifying as a good study or lab session, that feeling of accomplishment!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, GCIA, GCIH, C|EH, and more.
    When I'm not working or studying, I'm usually doing something with my wife and two sons. When I am free from their grip, I like to jog, swim, or play tennis. I am also studying Dutch.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA IT Fundamentals, CCENT, CCNA:R&S, JNCIA, BInfoTech
    Quote Originally Posted by ande0255 View Post
    @NOC - I figured your past time from studying was studying
    That or studying how to study during study breaks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member
    Kettlebells, drink scotch, play with my 3 kids, date night on Thursday with my wife, scour jobs on indeed........

Use to hike, but that took up WAY to much time.
    Last edited by DatabaseHead; 04-12-2017 at 07:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    BSc (Hons) Computer Science, A+, Network+, Security+, DCSE, MCP, CCENT, CCNA.
    My day is like this:

-Wake up
    -no time for yawning!
    -Shower
    -Get kids breakfast
    -Say bye to the wife
    -drive to work (listen to podcast on the way to work)
    -Work (do a thing!)
    -Drive home
    -Play with kids
    -Eat dinner
    -get kids ready for bed
    -workout
    -Study
    -Sleep.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by dontstop View Post
    Hobbies include:
    • Road Cycling
    Likewise for me, too! 'tis the season over here in the US. Got some crit races coming up!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member Chev Chellios's Avatar

Certifications
    MCP, MCDST, CCNSP, ITIL Foundation, working towards CCENT/CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC_Addy View Post
    My day is like this:

-Wake up
    -no time for yawning!
    -Shower
    -Get kids breakfast
    -Say bye to the wife
    -Work (do a thing!)
    -Drive home
    -Play with kids
    -Eat dinner
    -get kids ready for bed
    -workout
    -Study
    -Sleep.
    x 2 if it's any consolation!?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA: R&S, Security+, Network+, FCNSA, MTA 98-365
    When I'm not studying? I spend time with my son (he's only going to be little for so long) and have a few- or several- cocktails with the wife. When I'm not with them I'm mowing the lawn or fixing what needs fixed because home ownership kinda blows. Other than that I'm working on my comic book, fishing or hiking.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    BSIT, Security+, ITIL-F
    I haven't been studying as much as I should lately, partly because I feel that I spend too much time being sedentary at work and partly because I'm genetically predisposed to certain health problems that are exacerbated by lack of exercise. So in my free time I hang out with the wife, play with my dogs, do some weightlifting, go biking or kayaking, and work around the house. I try to squeeze in some educational reading for about an hour or so before bed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    SSCP, Security+ +4
    I've been playing guitar in bands in 1992 (started playing in 1989). Occasionally, I'll tinker with electronics. Then there's the never ending battle of cleaning the garage. I also run a small business on the side. I exercise every day. In between, I try to find time to read from my huge backlog of novels. Good idea to get off the PS4. Video games are a huge time suck.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    OSCP, GWAPT, CEH, SSCP, EJPT, CCNA:Security, CCNA:R&S, MCSA:W2K8, Linux+, LPIC-1, SCLA
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC_Addy View Post
    My day is like this:

-Wake up
    -no time for yawning!
    -Shower
    -Get kids breakfast
    -Say bye to the wife
    -Work (do a thing!)
    -Drive home
    -Play with kids
    -Eat dinner
    -get kids ready for bed
    -workout
    -Study
    -Sleep.
    Do your days have more than 24 hours? I don't even have kids and I don't have time to do all of this.

I play hockey, soccer, work out, Netflix and just relax and do stuff I guess and spend time with my girlfriend and friends of course. I also have classes on evenings but I guess we can put this under studying.

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    Haha lot's of similar situations to my own. See, it's the other way around for me. I squeeze in studying only when I'm not: spending time with the kids, spending time with the wife, working on house projects, spending time out with the family, traveling, spending a night here and there with my friends bowling or golfing, weightlifting.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by JasminLandry View Post
    Do your days have more than 24 hours? I don't even have kids and I don't have time to do all of this.
    I need more than 24 hours in a day. It seems like a long day, but it's not. I can often squeeze in a couple of hours of studying at work. So often I don't have to study when I get home.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Passion For IT

Certifications
    MCTS, MCITP, MCP, A+, Server+, Security+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA-Sec, CEH, CHFI
    Now that the weather is getting better, I've been doing gardening and yard work. I like to try and get some video games in there (so close to finishing arcade cab), but I have been trying to spend less time in front of a screen.

I've had a lot more time for reading other books that aren't IT related, which is nice.
    A few certs here and there and everywhere...
    AAS: Computer Security
    BS: Information Technology - Security (WGU)
    MS: Information Security & Assurance (WGU)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by PC509 View Post
    Now that the weather is getting better, I've been doing gardening and yard work. I like to try and get some video games in there (so close to finishing arcade cab), but I have been trying to spend less time in front of a screen.

I've had a lot more time for reading other books that aren't IT related, which is nice.

My attention span for reading even study material is short now adays,, like if it's not field notes that I can skip to the relevant section (like finding upgrade paths for technologies), it almost to me feels like "Why am I even reading this?"

I picked up "Network Warrior" for after the CCNP if the old brain doesn't implode, I figured it would be casual no note-taking read that will still give some insight to real world IT scenarios, maybe that will be my segway into the Harry Potter series or something

@MAC_addy There is always time for yawns, just ask any kitty!

Seriously like someone else said, I don't know how you fit half that in your day unless your study time is somewhere between 10-15 minutes! My workday with studying is like 8-5ish, eat with girl for 20 minutes, then study for 2-3 hours. Then after that I go brain dead, and leave my mouth open so the drool can run down my shirt, so I don't accidentally drown on it - Now that is a hot night for me!
    Last edited by ande0255; 04-13-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by dontstop View Post
    That or studying how to study during study breaks.

This one made me LOL, +1 for that post hahaha.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    GCIA, CSA+, Sec+, CHFIv9, CEHv8, Linux+, BS-CIS
    No kids yet so I find I have a lot of free time. I try to make my other hobbies less tech related for a change of pace so I work out 3 days a week, play on the company softball team, go snowboarding in the winter, hiking, camping. Also, desk jobs will rot your body so this helps.

The exception is lately I have been participating in Bug Bounties and its been a really challenging and rewarding way to learn. I've only had moderate success with actually earning bounties, but the community is great and I've been learning a ton along the way. Much like many pursuits, its lots of hours of reading, trying, failing, and reading again in search of that moment of awesome when you find something cool.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH
    Plan my next Disney World trip.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    -Playing video games
    -Watch anime
    -Workout
    -Travel the world
    -Watch Movies
    -Missionary trips/church events
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks