+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Certifications
    GCIH, C|EH, Sec+, eJPT, SCCC
    Used to be under 10 minutes anywhere I was stationed at in the Military, I took that for granted. I now live 10 miles away which takes me 30 minutes and I hate it so much. So much time wasted in the commute. I listen to audio books, but still.....
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. This site changed my life mzx380's Avatar

Certifications
    ITIL, ACA, VCP-DCV, Linux+, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by jrisbrook View Post
    Lirr commuter? You work in Manhattan?
    On the edge of Queens and have to go to the Financial District daily.
    Completed in 2017: MBA: Information Technology Management (WGU)
    Currently Working On: PMP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    Quote Originally Posted by networker050184 View Post
    This is one thing I was thinking about the other day that I miss working from home. As soon as I walk out the office my girl wants to run to dinner, have me help with the chores or do this or do that. I have to tell her to give me a few to wind down form the day. Don't have that ~20 minutes of commute to de-stress with some tunes or something that I used to take for granted.
    With a wife and three kids, I get that too!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA Network+, MCP, MCTS: Windows 7
    My longest commute was my previous position. I used to travel via public transport 2 hours to get there and then 2 hours back home.

Now it only takes me 15 minutes to walk each way for my new job.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Woohoo! It's over 1000!

Certifications
    Linux+, ACSA, ACTC, ACSP, MCSA:7, MCTS, ITIL F, Prince2 Pract, AgilePM Practitioner, VCP-DCV 5/6, Storage+, CCNA R+S/Sec/CyberOps, Sec+, CEH, CASP
    Just took a brand new role. I was specifically looking for something close by, and it's 30 minutes door to door include about 20 minutes cycling. So far, that's working really well for me. I need the exercise.

On the other hand, I know someone who is about 5 minutes walk to their workplace, and they think it's too close. They are concerned about running into colleagues/clients, and 5 minutes means they aren't getting the same incidental exercise they were.

Previously, I had a job that had about 30 minutes on a train which I found to be really good for reading/studying. You can easily get a few hours of reading a week that way.

One thing I hope never to go back to is driving regularly in city peak traffic. 40 minutes of stop/start driving in packed traffic is not the same as 40 minutes of driving on open freeway.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Woohoo! It's over 1000!

Certifications
    Linux+, ACSA, ACTC, ACSP, MCSA:7, MCTS, ITIL F, Prince2 Pract, AgilePM Practitioner, VCP-DCV 5/6, Storage+, CCNA R+S/Sec/CyberOps, Sec+, CEH, CASP
    Quote Originally Posted by networker050184 View Post
    This is one thing I was thinking about the other day that I miss working from home. As soon as I walk out the office my girl wants to run to dinner, have me help with the chores or do this or do that. I have to tell her to give me a few to wind down form the day. Don't have that ~20 minutes of commute to de-stress with some tunes or something that I used to take for granted.
    Yeah, there's a thing about "the third space" where you can depressurise from work before coming home. Personally, I found that driving for 40mins-1.5hr in city traffic really didn't help destress much, but 30 mins on a train really did. I think you are completely correct when you say you need that even when you are working from home.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, B.S.-IT, A.A.S.-Computer Forensics & Security, CSA+, A+, Network+, Security+, Six-Sigma, Solarwinds SCP
    I would agree with that. There are many times where I come up from my office and my wife is busy doing whatever and asks for my help. Usually I just do it then relax but there are times where I tell her I just need to decompress for a few minutes
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP | CIW | A+ | Project+
    2 miles (3-4 minutes) from my house in a very nice area to a very small joint forces base (3 buildings) also in a very nice area. Didn't even know it existed but now that I've found it I don't want to leave.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA
    1hr 15 minutes. From NJ to Manhatten over NJ Transit. Its a train journey, which kind of makes up for the long time. I can just sit down and read stuff or do some work.
    Last edited by Params7; 04-27-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member
    I've always thought that one's wiliness to put up with a commute is such a personal choice. And life circumstances and opportunities can play such a huge role.

The longest commute that I used to do was about 6 hours one way - about 350 miles. I would travel down on a Monday morning and return on Friday morning. I did that about 2 weeks a month for about 2 years.

The shortest commute was a walk down the hallway to my home office.

I've also done commutes of about 200 miles one way each week. Daily commutes on public transportation of about 60 minutes. And daily commutes in metro-areas of about 90 minutes.

I guess it all kinda just depends on what you will put up with for the opportunity.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Six Sigma White Belt, CNA, MCSE (Win2K)
    Dallas (Richardson/Plano area) to Las Colinas. Min 1 hr, average 1hr 15 min around 7:30AM. Going home leaving 10 min to 5 can be 45/50 min
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA(Security/Data Center), PCNSE 7, MCITP: Exchange 2010
    On most days, I can get to work in 15 minutes. No highway driving. It's one of the things that have kept me here so long, which is a gift and a curse
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. IOCs? What IOCs???!! jcundiff's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CRISC, ITILFv3, PCIP, RSA Archer, MSCE Win2000, A+, N+, Server+, Proj+, eBiz+,iNet+
    Quote Originally Posted by OctalDump View Post
    On the other hand, I know someone who is about 5 minutes walk to their workplace, and they think it's too close. They are concerned about running into colleagues/clients, and 5 minutes means they aren't getting the same incidental exercise they were.
    My old job I literally lived across the street ( was a .6 mile drive)... That has its own headaches besides running into colleagues/clients. My boss at the time lived in Michigan. He knew how close I lived to the office (contact center) anytime the site had major issues, Bob would call and be like, "I know you are not on call, but can you run across the street and reboot such and such box?
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA-voice, A+
    I commute 50 miles each way and it takes me 1 hour. It's not always about how far it is but how aggravating it is. Most of mine is on uncrowded open highway. I have had shorter commutes that were stop and go with bad traffic patterns. I get tired on the last 15 min coming home but moving is probably not an option at this point.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+, CCNA, AWS CSA, AWS Developer Associate, AWS SysOps Associate.
    NYC so depending on the MTA either 40 minutes or 9092 hours for 6 miles
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member
    Roughly 20 minutes one way so total daily commute 40 minutes. I work in a small office, I could probably attempt to go full time remote at some point in the future.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks