+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Member

Default How far do you commute?

I was thinking about moving back to my hometown. If I do, and get a job, than it might take me around hour and a half to get to work. Just wondering how far you guys commute to work.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. IOCs? What IOCs???!! jcundiff's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CRISC, ITILFv3, PCIP, RSA Archer, MSCE Win2000, A+, N+, Server+, Proj+, eBiz+,iNet+
    I spent 6.5 years commuting 3 hours each way, would drive to work early Monday (3-4 am) morning and then drive 3 hours home on Wednesday, and then remote Thursday and Friday. As of mid December of last year, my commute is about 20-30 steps downstairs to my office as I am full remote since then.
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, HP APS, VCP 3-4-5-6, VSP,VTSP, SSCP, Veeam VMCE
    My usual commute time is about 10 min the morning, 15 min at night ("rush hour"). But many time, I go to some customer site, and then it is variable.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    I just recently changed jobs. This is my longest commute yet. 35 miles, takes me about an 60-70mins to travel that distance in the DFW area.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. This site changed my life mzx380's Avatar

Certifications
    ITIL, ACA, VCP-DCV, Linux+, CCNA
    About 90 min each way which I've been doing most of my life. Down the line, my commute may be even further if I want to buy a bigger property but for now, I use my inbound commute to sleep and my outbound commute to study.
    Completed in 2017: MBA: Information Technology Management (WGU)
    Currently Working On: PMP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, B.S.-IT, A.A.S.-Computer Forensics & Security, CSA+, A+, Network+, Security+, Six-Sigma, Solarwinds SCP
    When I started this job it was about 50 miles one way (just over an hour on a good day). For about the past 18 months I have been full remote so now it is about 15 steps to my home office. Just have to be careful I don't trip over the dog on the way!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    Like jcundiff, my commute is about 20 steps to my home office . I used to commute 28 miles and 45+ minutes however.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    10 minutes each way at current position. Used to have a commute that was 1 hour both ways. That will never happen again.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Passion For IT

Certifications
    MCTS, MCITP, MCP, A+, Server+, Security+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA-Sec, CEH, CHFI
    45 minutes each way. 40 miles. My colleagues up near Redmond have the same time of commute, but only 5 miles. I live on the rural side of the state and work at the office here. They live on the urban side.
    A few certs here and there and everywhere...
    AAS: Computer Security
    BS: Information Technology - Security (WGU)
    MS: Information Security & Assurance (WGU)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+,Security+, EMCISA v2, MCP, MTAx2 , MCPS, CCENT, CCNA R&S,C|EH,C|HFI,MCTS, Linux+,LPIC-1,E|CSS,E|CES,GPEN,OSWP,Server+,LPT,GCIH
    About 30-45mins each way depending on traffic.
    2017:E|CSA E|CSP,E|CIH,eLearnSecurity,CSA+ Courses 2018: C|ND,ICND2,CCSK,CISSP,CCNA-Security 2019: CWNA 2020: LPIC-2
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISM, CISSP, SSCP, Security+, Network+, A+, Linux+, Project+, NSTISSI / CNSSI 4011, 4012, 4015, and 4016
    When I was in the DC area it was roughly an hour commute (if everything was going smoothly). I felt like it was a great day if I happened to make it home in 55 minutes . Unfortunately, that was rare, but a lot of days it was more like 75 to 90 minutes, and once in a while it was much worse.

Now I'm in Texas and the commute is 15-20 minutes. I like that a lot better!

I didn't think the long commute would bother me, but it really wore on me over time. Part of that goes with having family, though. I mean, like going home during the day to go to a kids' play or doctor's appointment or something and then going back to work afterwards meant spending 4 to 6 hours commuting that day.

Even with just the regular back and forth, though, it wore on me. It'd be frustrating to me to work long days and then miss out on an extra 2 or more hours a day because of the commute. Friday evenings were the worst. Seems like that's when there's always a crisis at work so I'd wind up staying late and then get caught in the madhouse traffic going home. That really didn't happen that often, but often enough that I would dread it.

Also, one of the worst feelings to me was being halfway to work or home and realizing I forgot my phone or something. Especially bad when it was something I really needed and had to turn back. It made me much more deliberate in my daily planning, though. Like, some days I bring lunch and some days I don't, so if I was bringing my lunch I'd make it the night before and put my car keys in the fridge with it so I couldn't accidentally leave without my food. Worked for me.

I've pretty much decided 30 minutes is about my sweet spot. Anything less than that is a bonus, but I'll try to avoid longer commutes than that if I can.

Joe
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    BSIT, Security+, ITIL-F
    30 minute drive each way on most days. 45 minutes to 1 hour in bad winter weather. Unfortunately, most jobs that would be a step up for me are 1 hour+ commutes, and I have no desire to spend that much time inside my car. Crossing my fingers that one of the rare, worthwhile IT jobs in my area will open up some time this year. I'd love to cut that commute down to 10 minutes.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    BS-CST CISSP GMON MPSC Security+ XRY 1+2+3 XAMN AAA AA
    I drive 110 miles round trip per day, ranging between 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes each way. I do have an agency provided car so at least it isn't my mileage and gas.
    WIP:
    MS in Legal Studies - Drexel University
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCNA Sec,R&S
    30 minutes each way plus $4.15 in tolls. But I just interviewed for a position 1.5 miles away yesterday. Fingers crossed!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    30 minutes, 30 miles. This is the best commute I can hope for in my area for a mid to senior skilled IT position, unless I landed a wfh gig, or move the family (not happening anytime this decade).

I would almost certainly have to drive 90+ minutes one way to either Raleigh or Charlotte to land something more lucrative than I have now, or take a 80-100% travelling gig. Also not happening.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 3/22/2017 - Passed Microsoft 70-412; 2/11/2017 - Completed VCP6-DCV (passed 2V0-621)
    Working on: MCSA 2012 upgrade from 2003 (to heck with 2008!!), more Linux, AWS Solution Architect (Associate)
    Thinking about: VCP6-CMA, MCSA 2016, Python, VCAP6-DCD (for completing VCIX)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    20miles/40minutes each way
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNET, CCNA R&S, ITIL, MCP, Security+
    15.6 miles going to work (avoiding a $1 toll) and 17.2 miles on the way home (avoiding the same toll). I love my commute, but that is about it...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Completely Clueless TechGromit's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network +, GSEC, GCIH, Lunatic+
    31 Miles, takes about 35 minutes to get to work, but can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes to get through security, not quite as bad as an Airport, but close.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    BSc (Hons) Computer Science, A+, Network+, Security+, DCSE, MCP, CCENT, CCNA.
    I think my commute is around 10 miles, but often with Oklahoma traffic, it can take up to 30 - 45 minutes. Ironically, I can get on my bike, leave at rush-hour time, and make it to the office about 20 minutes before I would usually.

Just a quick note on the bike: I am not lane splitting or riding like a turd. There's bike trails almost the entire way.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA: R&S, Security+, Network+, FCNSA, MTA 98-365
    5 minutes to drive 4 miles. It's the best of both worlds. I get out of the house but never far from home.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, HIT, MTAx6, MS: O365, MSCA: O365, MCSA: Win 7, MCITP: Win 7 EA, MCITP: Win 7 EDS, MCTS: 70-681, MS: Server Virtualization HyperV, BAAP
    I am doing 40 miles and one hour each way, but I can telecommute whenever I want and I am not going the flow of normal Chicago rushhour.

I actually quite like the drive, listen to some tunes or podcast, and either ramp up for the day or wind down.

-scott
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Voice, Security
    Mine used to be 45 minutes into work, 1.5+ hours back, and if it snowed or there was a crash one way could go up to 3+ hours on the road in a blizzard or staring at a bumper.

Fortunately before I had to push the issue, I was offered a remote position doing the same job from home, or even from another state if I want to move and HR is cool with the states income tax laws.

Twin Cities, when they say the two seasons we have here is Winter and Road Construction, they mean it!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    Quote Originally Posted by SweenMachine View Post
    I actually quite like the drive, listen to some tunes or podcast, and either ramp up for the day or wind down.
    This is one thing I was thinking about the other day that I miss working from home. As soon as I walk out the office my girl wants to run to dinner, have me help with the chores or do this or do that. I have to tell her to give me a few to wind down form the day. Don't have that ~20 minutes of commute to de-stress with some tunes or something that I used to take for granted.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    ITIL V3 F, ITIL OSA, ITIL ST
    25 - 40 minutes one way. Hopefully going to change 5 - 10 in the near future.
    Position: Data Junky
    Reformed Cert Addict.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by mzx380 View Post
    About 90 min each way which I've been doing most of my life. Down the line, my commute may be even further if I want to buy a bigger property but for now, I use my inbound commute to sleep and my outbound commute to study.
    Lirr commuter? You work in Manhattan?
    Currently working on : BS I.T. Security - WGU
    Security+
    CCNA R&S

Just trying to be better today, than I was yesterday...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks