+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Member

Default Cyber Security books for beginners

What do you guys suggest a book for cyber security, that aim at beginners? I thinking getting a masters in cyber security but I taking this 6 month course to get some certs. I want to get a head start in cyber security. It doesn't necessary have to be text book, it could be any book. Thanks everybody
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Achieve excellence daily

Certifications
    CISSP
    I would start with Darril Gibson's Security+ book.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. this is my clone

Certifications
    CISSP, GSEC, GCIH, MCSE, MCTS, ITIL-F, A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, Project+, ACE, CCNA R&S
    Counterhack Reloaded
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member

Certifications
    NET+, CWTS, CWNA, CWSP
    Go with these Cisco ccna ops books:Cyber-SECFND-210-250-and Cyber-SECOPS-210-255 also Comptia: security+ syo-401 and CSA+001. 210-255 is book 2 is not release yet but will be soon in June.

https://www.amazon.com/Cyber-SECFND-...s=ccna+210-250

https://www.amazon.com/Cyber-SECOPS-...XHT9JR2JP5HHHD

https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Secur...curity+sy0-401

https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Cyber...comptia+CSA%2B

Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member
    Thanks everybody. I purchased ccna cyber ops book. Hopefully I will have time to study.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member Registered Member
    Can anyone share this books pleaseeeeeee
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Scruffy-looking nerfherdr tedjames's Avatar

Certifications
    SSCP, Security+, eJPT +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouratov View Post
    Can anyone share this books pleaseeeeeee

Just buy your own copies. Sure, books can be expensive, but it's worth investing some money in your education, especially if it means a boost to your career.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan9764 View Post
    Hopefully I will have time to study.
    HOPEFULLY??? That is not the attitude we like to see here!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member

Certifications
    Security+
    https://cybercanon.paloaltonetworks.com/

Has a lot of great suggestions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, HP APS, VCP 3-4-5-6, VSP,VTSP, SSCP, Veeam VMCE, CISSP
    I know I have told it hundreds of time, but Safari Books Online, is one the best investment you can do in your career. 39$/month (or cheaper annually). Then you get almost every book published, and a tons of nice training video. That the equivalent of 1 book per month and you get them "all". It is perfect to read on the go, you can do search across the library and so on. You can jump around 3 books for the same subject and just pick what is interesting for you.

Well, I am an happy customer since 2012..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    GCFE, GCED, GCIH, GSTRT, CISSP, CCSP, and others that should never be mentioned
    +1 on Safari Books. I am spoiled by a free subscription from my employer but would gladly pay for it if I ever leave. Well, if they change the password that is
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Linux+, CySA+, Cloud+, CASP & IT Fundamentals+; MCSA: Windows 7, ITIL F/CSI/OSA, CCNA: Cyber Ops
    If you go to ACM.org and sign up for their membership, it will cost you $99/annually. It includes Safari Books Online.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberguypr View Post
    +1 on Safari Books. I am spoiled by a free subscription from my employer but would gladly pay for it if I ever leave. Well, if they change the password that is
    Yepppp, I'm paying for this out of pocket. (employer said they plan to start reimbursing me... we'll see) But I definitely enjoy Safari Books! I really like their live learning sessions they have going now too. Wish more were during the evenings instead of during work hours. But is what it is.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by stryder144 View Post
    If you go to ACM.org and sign up for their membership, it will cost you $99/annually. It includes Safari Books Online.
    So do you or anyone else have this membership?? Is it full access to Safari Books Online and Skillsoft? This deal looks pretty insane...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Linux+, CySA+, Cloud+, CASP & IT Fundamentals+; MCSA: Windows 7, ITIL F/CSI/OSA, CCNA: Cyber Ops
    I used to have the membership but have let it lapse. Since I have never had full access from another entity (like work, for instance), I could not compare it to see if they are identical or not.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Texas A&M Information Security Basics
    Did you know that Texas A&M's Engineering school offers a free online cybersecurity basics course? If you have time, take a look:

https://teex.org/Pages/Program.aspx?catID=607
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    Gotcha, thanks Stryder. I'll probably be buying the AMC membership in a couple weeks to test it out. My Safari membership expires then and I wouldn't mind saving about $400 a year!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkNewb View Post
    Gotcha, thanks Stryder. I'll probably be buying the AMC membership in a couple weeks to test it out. My Safari membership expires then and I wouldn't mind saving about $400 a year!
    No doubt, let us know if there are any differences.

Reply With Quote Quote  

I signed up with AMC last night, still haven't received a confirmation email from them though. Not the best look for a technology centric group.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNET, CCNA R&S, ITIL, MCP, Security+
    $99 is a steal for access to Safari and Skillsoft. Does anyone know if practice exams are included?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Security+, CISSP, CEH
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkNewb View Post
    So do you or anyone else have this membership?? Is it full access to Safari Books Online and Skillsoft? This deal looks pretty insane...
    I'm a current ACM member with access to Safari Books and Skillsoft, and yes, it is full access. Totally worth it - the inclusion of training videos really puts Safari over the top and makes the ACM membership more than worth it.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoore44 View Post
    I'm a current ACM member with access to Safari Books and Skillsoft, and yes, it is full access. Totally worth it - the inclusion of training videos really puts Safari over the top and makes the ACM membership more than worth it.
    Sweet!! Thank you! This is a crazy deal that more people need to be aware of
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoore44 View Post
    Thank you for letting us know! That is awesome. I think I might sign up again, knowing that.

Reply With Quote Quote  

Quick update- signed up Thursday, received confirmation Sunday. Safari selection of books and learning material alone is worth the annual membership fee. Skillsoft is down for maintenance right now, but I'll be looking at their offerings later this week.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    PenTest+, CySA+, LFCS, GCIH, eJPT, CCNA, CAPM, CompTIA Trifecta
    I have a paid-for Safari Books subscription and I love how many resources I have access to. That said, the site's formatting kind of sucks. It's not particularly touch friendly, sometimes the text rendering is a little screwy, and it's probably just me--but I have the hardest time reading any books beyond a few pages simply because there are no page numbers. Videos aside, I mostly use the site as a way to preview a book and then I'll just pay for it on Amazon or through Packt, even though it is available for free.
    2018: CCNA Cyber Ops cohort 7
    2019: OSCP | CISSP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks