+ Reply to Thread
  1. Senior Member

Default Cybersecurity History Book Recomendations?

Anybody have any recommendations for books about cybersecurity, code breaking, hacking and stuff like that? I would like to learn more about the history, people and major events surrounding this field. I'm about to start Ghost in the Wires by Kevin Mitnick, any thoughts on that one? Also on my list is Countdown to Zero Day: Stuxnet and the Launch of the World's First Digital Weapon by Kim Zetter.

Thanks!
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Linux+ and CSA+; MCSA: Windows 7, ITIL Foundations
    I would start with The Cuckoo's Egg.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Security+, CISSP, CEH
    Dark Territory and Playing to the Edge have been my favorites so far. Check the Cybersecurity Canon for additional reads: https://cybercanon.paloaltonetworks.com/
    Enrolled
    Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance

Currently Reading

School Books
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    SSCP, Security+ +4
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Security+, Network+, Server+
    Not a book, but check out the movie on struxnet called Zero Days (2016). It was pretty good.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    LFCS, GCIH, eJPT, CCNA, CAPM, Sec+, Net+, A+
    I enjoyed Dark Territory: The Secret History of Cyberwarfare by Fred Kaplan. Great info on cyberwarfare from US gov point of view. I enjoyed the audio book but the narrator doesn't know the correct colloquial pronunciations of several acronyms for gov agencies--be forewarned if you do audio.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stryder144 View Post
    I would start with The Cuckoo's Egg.
    Seconded for Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll.

It is the actual account of tracking someone who broke into LBNL, written by the guy who actually did the tracking.

It was one of, if not the, first hacking cases. Truly a bizarre adventure through the eyes of Mr. Stoll, and eye opening into the perceptions by law enforcement.

Ghost in the Wires is interesting, but it is from Mitnick's point of view. He has an interesting personality, and it shows in his writing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA A+
    The Code Book by Simon Singh (historical background of codes and ciphers...I read this book after reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    N+, CCNA, HP ATP FlexNetwork Solutions v2
    I read Ghost in the Wires a few months ago, it was pretty good.
    Kind of cybersecurity/hacking related, I also just finished America Kingpin. It's about the founder for Silk Road, but also goes into some detail about how various agencies finally managed to put it together who he was and how he was eventually arrested.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks