+ Reply to Thread
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+ : A+ : Security+ : eJPT : Life+

Default Relocation - AD Server

Hey there,

I'm trying to find out how to relocate an AD server.

Building 1 and 2 both have AD servers. Building 2 is being closed down and I would like to have both servers at building one.
    Both servers have AD/DNS/DHCP on them and they're on different subnets. I was told that they sync together for user accounts and computer accounts.
    Also the servers have Barracuda back up appliance on them.

I was thinking of disabling DNS and DHCP, giving a different ip address and renaming the server from building B before I start.
    Could someone please point me in the right direction as to how to do this? I've been looking around and I couldn't really find anything helpful.
    Booya!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    C|EH, MCITP, ITIL-F, LSSYB, Sec+,CISSP, Linux+, CCNA, CHFI
    What version of Windows? You can just transfer the roles and demote.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    Too many MCPs and MCTS, MCSA: Security, MCSE: Security, MCSA: 2003, 2008, 2012, MCITP: EA, CISSP-ISSAP, SCS DLP, GREM
    Rename/reip for ADDS is tricky, do only if you know what you are doing and not sooner than you do it for a test replica of a prod domain in virtual isolated network.

The simplest solution looks to be just disabling DHCP on the 2nd DC and bringing it to building 1 as it is.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, B.S.-IT, A.A.S.-Computer Forensics & Security, CSA+, A+, Network+, Security+, Six-Sigma, Solarwinds SCP
    Depends on the OS but do you only have 1 DC at building 1 currently? As far as DHCP I would leave it running on both but configure them with different scopes. This will allow you to have a backup DHCP server and avoid conflicts. Example would be DC#1 with a scope of xxx.xxx.xxx.100-xxx.xxx.xxx.150 and DC#2 with a scope of xxx.xxx.xxx.151-xxx.xxx.xxx.200. DNS can run on both once you get the right subnet configured on it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks