+ Reply to Thread
  1. Darth Lord of the Sith ITSpectre's Avatar

Certifications
    Sec+, MTA, MCP

Default Linux Python or Both?

currently im studying for my OSCP. and Im learning Linux and python. Im doing it day by day taking Sun, Tues, thurs, to learn Linux. And Mon, wed, fri to learn Python. And Sat to rest my brain. My question is.... Which one will benefit me the MOST in taking the OSCP or will both benefit me equally? I know I need to learn both but should I put more effort into one over the other?
    Last edited by ITSpectre; 09-24-2017 at 06:01 PM.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    LFCS, GCIH, eJPT, CCNA, CAPM, Sec+, Net+, A+
    I can't offer any helpful comments on how it relates to the OSCP, but I've been trying to study Python and Linux at the same time unsuccessfully for many weeks. I find alternating back and forth on different days kind of interrupts the momentum I get when studying one or the other. I end up flip-flopping and sticking with one or the other instead.

My current approach is now study 100% Linux until I'm LFCS certified. Then 100% Python until I've finished my 2 Python books and the program I intend to write. How long have you been at it? Maybe you have a trick that I'm not doing. Or maybe I just need to be more disciplined about it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Darth Lord of the Sith ITSpectre's Avatar

Certifications
    Sec+, MTA, MCP
    Im starting to study for the things I need to learn before I take on the OSCP. That way I can pass the exam.
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Darth Lord of the Sith ITSpectre's Avatar

Certifications
    Sec+, MTA, MCP
    Ive been at it for 2 months now. But I took a week or two off due to a upcoming NY trip to see my girlfriend.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    BS-CST CISSP GMON MPSC Security+ XRY 1+2+3 XAMN AAA AA CMFF CCO CCPA
    I would study up on your linux commands and in turn Bash. Python is great and you should definitely learn it at some point, but for OSCP knowing Linux and Bash will be the most helpful.
    WIP:
    MS in Legal Studies - Drexel University
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ITIL F, C|EH
    From all the OSCP prep reading I have done, linux #1 and bash/python/something #2. Even a basic understanding or being able to "read" scripts and then clumsily modify what is in them to get what you need is good.

Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, GWAPT, GSEC, C|EH, CCNA:Security, CCNA:R&S, CCENT, Security+, Network+
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Grinch View Post
    I would study up on your linux commands and in turn Bash. Python is great and you should definitely learn it at some point, but for OSCP knowing Linux and Bash will be the most helpful.
    Agreed...a lot of what you will do in Python for Security and OSCP stems from Linux and Bash. If you have to choose one...learn Linux and Bash.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoba222 View Post
    I find alternating back and forth on different days kind of interrupts the momentum I get when studying one or the other. I end up flip-flopping and sticking with one or the other instead.
    This is called 'context switching' and it's a massive problem for tech workers. Programmer for instance usually need to focus on specific tasks and problems for an extended period and distractions like signing a farewell card can be detrimental to this focus. IMO the tech profession most impacted by context switching is IT Security generalists - you constantly have to switch between social, technical and strategic mind sets within a single task, or from one task to the next. It can get kinda stressful.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks