+ Reply to Thread
  1. Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S & Security, MCSA: Server 2012 & Office 365

Default Microserver Recommendations

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a Microserver to use for my labbing environments. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a server that has at least 32GB of RAM and you can install VMware ESXi on? I was looking at the HPE ProLiant Microservers, but wanted to see if there are other options.
    2017 Goals: 70-347[X], CCNA R&S [X], CCNA Security [X]
    2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[], CCNP Switch 300-115[], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[], VCP-DCV[]
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Sec+
    Quote Originally Posted by urstuffplz1 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a Microserver to use for my labbing environments. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a server that has at least 32GB of RAM and you can install VMware ESXi on? I was looking at the HPE ProLiant Microservers, but wanted to see if there are other options.
    Looked at some of the price tags for them HPE ProLiant Microservers. Starts around £200 ish going to £600, this with just it's default ram of 2 / 4 / 8 GB. Also only dual core processors from what I can see. Overall I don't like this option.

If you can handle a little (Or more) noise pollution have you considered something like a rack server? I've looked at some which are pretty affordable with 2x physical quad cores and around 48 GB. With 16 threads should be able to also run 16 vm's I guess. I want to get one myself eventually for both lab and to run all my servers.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    VCP-DCV, CCNA, ITIL Foundations
    If I was you, I'd look at the Supermicro E200-8D, they can take up to 128GB, RDIMM.
    Allot of people are using them for ESXi labs. Take a look at this link on Tinkertry.
    https://tinkertry.com/supermicro-sup...-e300-pictures
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks